Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Member-Only Group Forums > Book Cottage » Christmas Books/Novels

Book Cottage Click here to visit this social group

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Bells The Nativity Part III:...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:45 PM
79,089 Views  0 Posts
Xtree1 The Fir Tree
By MMC Editor
09-25-2011 07:00 AM
77,483 Views  0 Posts
Gifting Without Charging
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:03 PM
49,635 Views  0 Posts
Xtree1 Don't Say Goodbye, Just...
By MMC Editor
10-19-2011 08:07 PM
0 Posts
“Happy Christmas Time”...
By MerryCarey
05-15-2012 02:56 PM
28,394 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ginette has shown a merry dispositionginette has shown a merry disposition
stocking Christmas Books/Novels

Hi;

We have a Christmas movie thread, so I figured I would start and Christmas novel thread!

Just wondering if there is anyone on here that likes to read! I love reading and one of my favorite authors is Nora Roberts. Last year I had the pleasure of reading her book called "First Impressions" which was released just in time for Christmas.

I am hoping to get some suggestions from all the great people here, on some good Christmas reads. Was checking Chapters/Indigo website today and did not see anything being released soon.

Looking forward to everyone's imput!!

Ginette
The Following User Says Thank You to ginette For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-01-2013)
Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,273 Times in 26,542 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I like glenn becks A Christmas Sweater book that came out last year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
ginette (09-16-2009), JanaBanana (11-10-2009), Yuletide Junkie (09-22-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,208 Times in 12,635 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star

I won "The Christmas Pearl" by Dorthea B. Frank here in the forums, and it is a really nice story.

Also, in the back of the book are recipes for some of the dishes mentioned in the story.

It is a story about an elderly woman who's kids are a bunch of knuckleheads. She managed to get them together for Christmas but is upset that they do not have the Christmas spirit. Fortunately a Christmas "spirit" arrives to help and what happens...well you will just have to read the story to see what happens.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Elfmade has shown a merry disposition
One of my most favorite books is Christmas Jars by Jason Wright. It's a short read and a wonderful story. I also have enjoyed the books by Jeff Guinn. He wrote The Autobiography of Santa Claus, How Mrs. Clause Saved Christmas and The Great Santa Search. I haven't read the last one yet. They are now sold together in one book called the The Christmas Chronicles.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
Not too long ago, I read The Trouble With Angels, buy Debbie Macomber. I also have another book by DM, Angels Everywhere, that I haven't read yet.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
we do have a group here dedicated to Christmas books as well
Old 09-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Christmasologist

Wenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Only the first is a novel, but all are good reads:

1. The Annotated Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens, edited by Michael Patrick Hearn. If you're going to go for the classic Christmas story, go all the way, explore every nook and cranny of Dickens' story, and learn the stories behind the story. Such riches!

2. The Origins of Christmas, by Joseph F. Kelly. A history, by a professor of religious studies, that concentrates on the period from the birth of Christ, to the earliest celebrations of his birth, to the middle ages, with the establishment of the legend of St. Nicholas. At 130 pages, not a long read, but you will learn a lot.

3. The Battle for Christmas, by Stephen Nissenbaum. Scholarly but accessible history of Christmas in America shows how the holiday as we know it is mostly a 19th century invention, and how it went through a disreputable period of rowdy celebration to be transformed into a family-oriented time.

4. Christmas in America: A History, by Penne L. Restad. The first chapters cover much of the same ground as Nissenbaum, but Restad takes the story from where Nissenbaum leaves off in the late 19th century, through the explosion of popular Christmas culture in the 20th century.

5. Michael Hague's Family Christmas Treasury, by Michael Hague. Short stories, gospel passages, songs, poems. This book continues a long tradition of Christmas anthologies or "gift books". I recommend this one because the talented Hague himself illustrates the whole collection, in a variety of styles, and because copies are available for as little as 1¢ at Amazon.

6. Christmas on Television, by Diane Werts. A history and analysis of Christmas programming in a medium that has become central to our enjoyment of the holiday.

7. It's a Wonderful Christmas: The Best of the Holidays 1940-1965, by Susan Waggoner. Reproduces pop culture artifacts from the war and post-war, baby boom years that will be a trip down nostalgia lane for readers of a certain age. Catalogs, cards, decorations, toys, advertising.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wenceslaus For This Useful Post:
Bullypup (01-25-2010), caninemom3 (01-17-2010), ginette (09-24-2009), Meceka (11-04-2009)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,020 Times in 444 Posts
Bullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnog
Just started reading the Christmas Box Collection. So far so good.

Oh my, she exclaims, her breath smoking the windowpane, it's fruitcake weather!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by Wenceslaus View Post
Only the first is a novel, but all are good reads:

7. It's a Wonderful Christmas: The Best of the Holidays 1940-1965, by Susan Waggoner. Reproduces pop culture artifacts from the war and post-war, baby boom years that will be a trip down nostalgia lane for readers of a certain age. Catalogs, cards, decorations, toys, advertising.
This one looks like a good one. I viewed it and it looks like something I would really like to own. I love looking at vintage Christmas "stuff" and owning it is even better. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,294 Times in 5,595 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I've mentioned these before in other threads, but they bear repeating: a couple of forgotten classics from the early 1900s.

The Christmas Angel by Abbie Farwell Brown
Summary:
Disagreeable old Miss Terry spends her Christmas Eve getting rid of toys from her childhood toy box. One by one she tosses them onto the sidewalk in front of her house, then secretly watches the little scenes that occur, which seem to confirm her belief that true Christmas spirit does not exist. Then the Angel from her childhood Christmas tree appears to show Miss Terry that she has not yet witnessed the final act of each of those little dramas …
Living Age magazine in 1910 observed of The Christmas Angel, "Not since Charles Dickens laid down his pen forever has there been a prettier Christmas story written, one more full of the real spirit of Christmas or conveying a more seasonable lesson."
Read it here or listen to it here.

The Romance of a Christmas Card by Kate Douglas Wiggin
Read it here.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!