Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,438
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Why Santa Doesn't Use...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:22 PM
39,991 Views  0 Posts
Bells Christmas and Tragedy:...
By MMC Editor
12-15-2012 11:40 AM
Last post by Christmasstar
02-15-2013 08:32 PM
2 Posts
Christmas Candles
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:20 PM
54,020 Views  0 Posts
present The Delicate Art of...
By MMC Editor
09-13-2011 12:12 AM
46,105 Views  0 Posts
What exactly is an elf?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:47 PM
56,356 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-04-2005, 08:24 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Christmas in the Schools

Is it done anymore? Or do the schools in your area call December a "celebration of winter" too? In the schools here you cannot even say "Christmas".

It's ridiculous.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

gracie has shown a merry dispositiongracie has shown a merry disposition
ok here we go!!! I dont want to offend anyone ------ but here goes anyway. I am a christian and I think we should celebrate Christs birth anywhere we want to--on the other hand I would not want my kids to celebrate Allahs or Buddahs birthday. So this is a tricky one. I dont like the fact that we have to say Happy Holidays to be politically correct ,I always smile and say Merry Christmas. Am I a pain in the neck? I certianly hope not ,I just want to let the world know I love my Lord and Savior . Our Country was founded on Christianity and we should be able ot keep those values . I dont see how celebrating Christmas is forcing religion down anyones throat but some folks say it is--Its sort of like being a bible thumper( I find that term funny- not offensive ) but we are using christmas carol books instead of bibles.So Jeff, Do I think we should be able to celebrate Christmas in the schools? In a word----YES!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

gracie has shown a merry dispositiongracie has shown a merry disposition
ok here we go!!! I dont want to offend anyone ------ but here goes anyway. I am a christian and I think we should celebrate Christs birth anywhere we want to--on the other hand I would not want my kids to celebrate Allahs or Buddahs birthday. So this is a tricky one. I dont like the fact that we have to say Happy Holidays to be politically correct ,I always smile and say Merry Christmas. Am I a pain in the neck? I certianly hope not ,I just want to let the world know I love my Lord and Savior . Our Country was founded on Christianity and we should be able ot keep those values . I dont see how celebrating Christmas is forcing religion down anyones throat but some folks say it is--Its sort of like being a bible thumper( I find that term funny- not offensive ) but we are using christmas carol books instead of bibles.So Jeff, Do I think we should be able to celebrate Christmas in the schools? In a word----YES!
Old 10-05-2005, 12:31 PM

School is no place to talk about Christmas if you ask me. They should take God out of the pledge too. And they need to get rid of Martin Luther King day. He was a religious figure. If you can't sing Jingle Bells then the good reverend needs to sit down.

Maximus
Old 10-05-2005, 04:09 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Maximus,

First of all, welcome. Gracie's right, this can be emotionally charged as an issue.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say Martin Luther King needs to sit down. But I think you're just making a point and I get it.

When the angels announced to the shepherds the Birth of the Savior they said basically this: "Peace on earth and goodwill to all men".

I don't see anything politically incorrect in that. We all said "Merry Christmas" when I was growing up and none of us ended with three heads.

And God stays in my pledge.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Mr. Christmas is a new face around here!
Agreed, Jeff. God will be in my pledge. Like Aaron Tippin's great song says: "I pledge allegance to my flag, if that bothers you, well that's too bad." And Christmas will be part of my vocabulary whenever and wherever I go. If others don't like it, they don't have to say it, no ones forcing them. And I think its wrong for us to be forced to give up the 10 commandments in court houses.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

frank8265 is a new face around here!
I can't think of a good reason why any school (be it in the us or europe or anywhere) shouldn't or couldn't teach about our christian background and upbringing like christmas, easter, etc...
It's part of our heritage, part of us. And something to be proud of.

I can understand why different cultures might look strangy at christmas, but we don't tell them to give up their religion or culture? Wouldn't do any good any way I think.

Just let us be proud of who we are and let us pas our background, traditions, heritage on to our childeren, grandchilderen and so on....
And thank God that we have this to pas on.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 AM

SnowAngel is a new face around here!
okay, I understand that everyone wants children to learn about the Christmas holiday and such, and it's true, you should be able to say Merry Christmas when you want. But taking "Christmas" out of schools doesn't prevent someone to spread the Christmas cheer. Saying Happy Holidays is not being politically incorrect, it's spreading the happiness to others no matter what belief system you or they may have. Christmas is not the only holiday celebrated in December and if it's looked on as a politcally correct way by anyone, then maybe they should do some soul searching. Happy Holidays to me says, "hey, i hope you're having a good one, just like i. enjoy!"

Our country was not founded for just Christians. It was founded for religious freedom, not just for Christians. As a country, we have had millions of people from different races, cultures and religious backgrounds come here for these same reasons. Christian children go to school with jewish, muslim, hindu (among many other religions) everyday. But, why don't they spend weeks learning about their beliefs? Growing up as a Catholic in a public school, I was always upset as to why we didn't learn about Channuka or Ramadan or anything else as a matter of fact. I didn't think it was fair. I went to school with just as many Jewish kids as I did with Christians and I've heard how unfair it was to them from their own mouths. I had to ask those kids about the holidays they celebrated to learn anything about them. Why does december just have to be about Christmas? Why can't they incorporate all religious holidays celebrated in that same month to teach the children respect and understanding for other religions? In public school it doesn't even have to take the religious form, they can teach just the traditions of each holiday. For those Christians that feel the need to teach only Christian beliefs in school we have the Perocial school system for just that.

I've read in a post that someone doesn't want other religions pushed on their child so why should your religion be pushed on another? Kids of different religions aren't there to learn Christian ways, they're there to learn. period. You can't chose sides and you can't chose one over the other. How do you think it feels to the little kid sitting in the middle of the class that worships many gods (Hindu) and has no idea how the Christian belief system works and is basically forced fed Christmas, then the teacher moves on to math and says nothing about any other holiday, including his own?

Didn't Jesus say, "do unto others what you have them do unto you" ?

My opinion, either teach them all or don't teach them at all.

God in the pledge of alliegence is okay to me because God is a symbol for all not just for one.

and that's my two cents
Old 10-13-2005, 11:20 AM

scottishrose is a new face around here!
What upsets me is the music program. I don't care of they sing Dreidel (SP?) Dreidel or some Kwanzaa song or any song (my middle schooler sang African, Japenese and Jewish songs last year!!)...
So why is it they can't sing ONE traditional American Christmas Carol????

My kids have never once sang a traditional Chrsitmas carol in school. They look at me in bewilderment when I sing them because they don'tknow the words...and in band and orchestra they're not playing them either!!
I'm all for educating on other traditions but why does that mean we sacrifice ours??

Annie
Old 10-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Last Achievements

drumboytko is a new face around here!
If this makes anyone feel better, at my school which I graduated, they call school vacation the "Holiday Break" but as well as all the other religious holiday songs someone else had referred to earlier, my school also always does a traditional christmas song at their holiday concerts. I plan on being a music teacher someday, and I plan on doing the same with my students. Actually, my senior year in high school, I remember us playing about half Christmas songs. We played probably 2 or 3. And I only graduated 3 years ago, and my brother currently is in chorus, and it is still the same. So not every school district has gone all politically correct.