Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » Turkey & Ham Size

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 11-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Twinklelights has shown a merry disposition
We usually try to find the biggest bird we can (around 25 lbs.) so there will be plenty of leftovers.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

stacyk9 has shown a merry disposition
That last couple of years I've actually just bought a turkey breast because it's just the three of us and my parents. No need for the whole bird!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

christmasjingles has shown a merry dispositionchristmasjingles has shown a merry disposition
years ago, we used to get at least a 20lb'er but since so much has changed over the years and there's just my 2 youngest and myself now, if we are staying home and it's just us, I get a small one, usually about 10lbs, 12 at the biggest.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,495 Times in 3,627 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
My parents usually make around a 14 lb turkey or 2, 12-14 lb turkeys.

On a side note, I just learned this today. My sister smoked a bone in turkey breast for us yesterday. Their smoker will hold 2 turkeys so while she was making themselves one, she asked if we would like one too. YUM! She bought a big turkey for themselves & I told her to get the smallest one at the store for us. (since there is only 2 of us) Both turkeys were in the smoker the same amount of time. Our small turkey was SO GOOD, moist & delicious. (to die for!!!!) Theirs was dry. She was telling my parents about this & they said...oh yeah, the bigger the turkey, the dryer the meat! They said that is why they bake 2 smaller turkeys - b/c the meat is more moist. Learn something new every day!

The Following User Says Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
mommytotwo (11-17-2009)
Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We always get a turkey that's at least 20 pounds. On our first Thanksgiving in our house we got a 28 pound turkey..that's the biggest I've ever seen...we had turkey for almost 2 weeks!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Christmasologist

mommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elf
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
My parents usually make around a 14 lb turkey or 2, 12-14 lb turkeys.

On a side note, I just learned this today. My sister smoked a bone in turkey breast for us yesterday. Their smoker will hold 2 turkeys so while she was making themselves one, she asked if we would like one too. YUM! She bought a big turkey for themselves & I told her to get the smallest one at the store for us. (since there is only 2 of us) Both turkeys were in the smoker the same amount of time. Our small turkey was SO GOOD, moist & delicious. (to die for!!!!) Theirs was dry. She was telling my parents about this & they said...oh yeah, the bigger the turkey, the dryer the meat! They said that is why they bake 2 smaller turkeys - b/c the meat is more moist. Learn something new every day!

Thank you for the turkey tip.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
we got a 23lb turkey for the 2 of us

possibly 3
Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Silverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elf
Depending on how many of my siblings come to my house we may get a 18 pounder or higher. I'm the 12th out of 13 children so sometimes we have to get more than one turkey if all my siblings come over w/their families.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

TamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happy
stocking

As a child, I remember my mother would only buy "hen" turkeys...no "tom" turkeys for her. She said the big turkeys are too dry for her taste. So if we were having less than 10 people for dinner, she would buy at the most a 15 pound turkey. If there were going to be more than 10 people, then she would buy two turkeys around 12-14 pounds each. Now I can't remember how she cooked 2 turkeys and got them both on the table for dinner working with only one oven. But she did