Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » Homemade or Canned?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,843
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 10-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Christmasologist

mommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elf
Homemade or Canned?

Do you prefer the following items being homemade or from a can? Any preference in flavors? Feel free to share any recipes. Maybe some of us who use canned items of the below will try to make your homemade recipe .

Stuffing-
Cranberries-
Yams-
Cornbread-
Gravy-
Pumpkin Pie-

Fresh or Frozen Turkey?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommytotwo For This Useful Post:
Emmy Piper (10-31-2009), MsChristmas (11-06-2009), Smiley21 (11-01-2009)
Old 10-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

Emmy Piper has shown a merry dispositionEmmy Piper has shown a merry disposition
Stuffing- I love stove top!!
Cranberries- canned solid (don't like the stuff with the seeds)
Yams- never cooked yams
Cornbread- no one in my house likes this but me, so I don't make it
Gravy- both, I make homemade and used jar
Pumpkin Pie- canned, but i make my own crust and mix the can up myself

Fresh or Frozen Turkey? frozen
Old 10-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

TamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happy
Stuffing- Use Stovetop but add extra ingredients (onions, sausage)
Cranberries- Can Jellied....not the whole with the seeds
Yams- I PREFER fresh...but use Can to save time
Cornbread-Dont make cornbread
Gravy-Pan dripping....never used can, jar or instant
Pumpkin Pie- we dont like pumpkin pie...homemade sweet potato pie from a neighbor )

Fresh or Frozen Turkey? Doesnt matter...usually frozen
Old 10-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

Terri has shown a merry disposition
Stuffing- we don't use stuffing, we make cornbread dressing
Cranberries- canned
Yams- canned (sweet potato balls)
Cornbread- homemade buttermilk cornbread
Gravy- homemade (my mom makes the BEST gravy ever!!)
Pumpkin Pie- we don't eat pumpkin pie but have homemade from scratch Egg Custard Pie

Fresh or Frozen Turkey? we generally buy frozen.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Silverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elf
Well any other time throughout the year all of those can come from a box or can but on Thanksgiving all of this has to be homemade. But with the turkey the only time I eat it is Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
EVERYTHING homemade...EXCEPT the cranberry sauce...that can be canned. For Thanksgiving, everything HAS to be homemade...or else, in my family, it's not considered Thanksgiving!
MsChristmas (11-06-2009)
Old 11-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,986 Times in 9,434 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I can only answer to one that must be canned....The cranberry sauce - jellied! I don't know why but I think it's the best cranberry sauce. I have tried to get fancy and make some type of cranberry relish and it's just not the same. I have to have the cheap ol can stuff!!!

The rest of it is usually homemade. Occasionally we buy pints of side dishes from a cafeteria here that has good food.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,260 Times in 28,880 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Stuffing- I love stove top but for the holidays we make homemade

Cranberries- Can because only my mom eats them

Yams- We usually used canned fro the holidays but fix fresh all the time for dinner

Cornbread- Box Mix

Gravy- Jar

Pumpkin Pie- It depends who decides to bring it for the holidays. I make homemade and everyone else buys frozen. We like both.

Fresh or Frozen Turkey- Frozen
Old 11-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,781 Times in 1,184 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Stuffing-homemade
Cranberries-canned (jelled)
yams-don't like them at all
cornbread-doesn't matter
gravy-doesn't matter
pumpkin pie-doesn't matter
turkey-frozen

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

lmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Stuffing- Stove top ... any homemade kind I've ever had was really mushy and had a gross texture, lol. Maybe I should try making it homemade myself this year??
Cranberries- Canned! I really don't like the chunky stuff lol
Yams- Homemade
Cornbread- We don't have cornbread but always have fresh homemade rolls
Gravy- Homemade! I used to not care about the difference but since I've been making my own gravy from pan drippings with any meat I make, I will never go back to jar!
Pumpkin Pie- Def homemade!!!
Fresh or Frozen Turkey? Doesn't matter

Merry Christmas! Liz