Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » Bad Feeling about Disney's A Christmas Carol

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,021
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,029)
Welcome to our newest member, sonicboomboy

Old 11-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

UnchosenFragmnts has shown a merry dispositionUnchosenFragmnts has shown a merry disposition
As I was watching I couldn't help but to think that it is one of the scariest looking Christmas Carols I have ever seen. I really enjoyed it. The 3D was done really well. It felt really faithful to the old style and to the book and that's what I loved about it. It wasn't a playoff like most Christmas Carol movies are. The acting was good other than Jim Carrey and his accent that came and went. Somtimes he sounded grinch like and sometimes he sounded like Ace Ventura and sometimes he sounded like he was trying a british accent but all of that is just nitpicky. The trouble with A Christmas Carol is that everyone has seen it and knows the story so really the only reason you should see this is if you want to see it in 3D or because you love the story. Nothing new or groundbreaking other than the visuals. The first 2/3 of the movie I thought was very good, but once the Ghost of Christmas present shows up I thought it went off in a way it shouldn't have. Seemed like they put a scene in there just to put there own stamp on it and it didn't fit with the movie. Almost seemed rushed to get to the end. Very dark most of the way through and if I was under 10 years old it would have probably frightened me a good bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnchosenFragmnts For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (11-09-2009), pkcrafty (11-09-2009)

Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Merry Forums Newbie

Branimal has shown a merry disposition
My wife wants to go see it tonight.

I have a problem with my right eye that kind of destroys any chance of me seeing anything in 3D..but I heard this new "Real 3D" is quite different.

Has anyone taken the glasses off for a few moments during the movie?

What's it look like? I really don't want to go to the movie and have to sit through a jumbled mess of a movie.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 AM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
very blurry
they do have a non 3D version
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I've not seen it but my fav film reviewer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/) wasn't impressed. Are there really rockets in it?! (from Mark's descriptions it sounds like it!)

He's also a big horror guy and said that the cgi streets would look good in a horror flick!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:02 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,044 Times in 2,442 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Here's my official review. In a word, this version is souless.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 PM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 546 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
=( Bummer.. the commercials did make it seem dark in a sense.. but I was looking forward to seeing it with the kids. I guess I may wait for DVD. The ONLY movie I like Jim Carey in is The Grinch

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
The Following User Says Thank You to JanaBanana For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (11-09-2009)
Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by JanaBanana View Post
=( Bummer.. the commercials did make it seem dark in a sense.. but I was looking forward to seeing it with the kids. I guess I may wait for DVD. The ONLY movie I like Jim Carey in is The Grinch
I think its worth seeing in theaters, def. not for small children
Old 11-07-2009, 12:17 PM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 546 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by dvdguy View Post
3/4 of my children are small LOL! Why do they have to ruin a good movie that SHOULD be geared to families{all ages} and make it too scary. They could have toned it down

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

nintendofreak44 has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by dvdguy View Post
Agreed. It was an excellent movie (not as good as Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, or The Stingiest Man in Town), but not for small children.
The Following User Says Thank You to nintendofreak44 For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (12-06-2009)
Old 11-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Disney's A Christmas Carol

I previewed it the other day to see if it was worth taking my 4 year old son to see. I think some parts of it would be really frightening for younger children. Children 8 years of age or older could probably handle it as they may understand the frightening content in perspective, but for a younger child that may not understand, it may be too frightening for them.

I thought it was a good movie though. I thought the three ghosts brought out a nightmarish perspective that Scrooge ultimately needs to redeem/repent for his old ways. Some other renditions of A Christmas Carol do not capture that. Rather, in some versions, you have two kindhearted spirits and a frightening grim reaper type phantom, and suddenly Scrooge changes from a miserable human being to one of the most compassionate characters in literature. Yes, that is how the story goes (changing his ways after the spirits reveal to him how negatively he has affected individuals around him), but some versions do not tap into just how haunting the spirits could have been to Scrooge that ultimately changes him, not just the shadows of what was and what may be. At least this version gives purpose to his change, as it truly frightens him and forces him to understand the error of his ways. I also enjoyed some of the spiritual undertones in the film, though there have been some other versions that have displayed it much more clearly. Atleast Disney does not try to hide that from the story.

Only thing I didn't like about it was it didn't dig into Scrooge's past as other versions have. It didn't go into much detail about his past with his sister. It also barely touches the romantic history with Belle (A Muppet Christmas Carol and The version with Kelsey Grammar did a much better job at that.) I thought some pivital story elements were rushed a tad so the film could focus more on the amusement park ride that you seem to go through.

It is entertaining, but I would leave the kids at home for this one. In the theater, some children near me just sat through those frightening scenes either shocked or frightened at what they had seen. Other children in the theater were laughing at those scenes. I guess you could tell which children have been desensatized by such things. That, or they took it in stride.
AuntieMistletoeDear (12-06-2009), MsChristmas (11-09-2009)