Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » Chinese Take Out, Anyone?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,126
Threads: 54,224
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,350)
Welcome to our newest member, MetalBlessing

Old 10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
Chinese Take Out, Anyone?

My girlfriend and I hit up a craft store today looking for something to keep her occupied as I was doing my usual garage thing. Looking around I came upon some plain white Chinese take out type boxes and had an idea. The light is an average dollar or so plug-in night light, but I'm going to rig one up with maybe a couple bright blue LEDs and see how that works. Tell me what you think. Best of all it only took a couple minutes and maybe $3 tops. Something anyone could do. By the way, if you can't tell from the picture, his hat is just part of the lid.

-Tony

Old 10-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Ervserver

I like the way it has a "glow" about it, very easy and low cost too. Way cool.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:19 PM

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
Thanks Erv. So far that's what has come from your inspiration with your snowman light. I was going to just take some scotch brite to a clear plastic box and do essentially the same thing, but for now this works.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Ervserver

what size bulb is in there...3watt or a 7watt maybe?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 PM

Looks to be a 7 watt. I was just about to run out to radio shack to get a battery holder for some LED lighting when that little night light caught my eye. I still want to see how the LEDs turn out, but I got too side tracked to make it to Radio Shack.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:14 PM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
The authentic soy sauce scent is so festive! I can't believe you creative guys can do stuff like that. I would have used it to make a pretty snazzy hat.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 PM

Snazzy hat, eh?

Well, just to make sure I didn't just give any ideas on how to burn down their house I left it on for a few hours and it didn't even really get warm. I never did make it to Radio Shack to get a battery holder, but I was anxious so I just rigged something up with a little wire and some electrical tape. This was a single blue LED with a little more than 3v running to it (two AAs hooked in series).

I think a little foil lining would would keep the glares to a minimum, but this was a drop in and go kind of experiment. I like battery because the whole package is so light, the cord with the night light tends to pull it around. I'm not sure about the blue, though; I don't have any white LEDs lying around to compare. Opinions please.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Ervserver

either one looks good though I like the glow of the first one better
Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 PM

I think you're right about the glow. Plus, I just discovered a handful of change at the bottom keeps it where I put it!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Ervserver

I think those would make good luminaries....at the hobby store I saw these LED battery operated candles that flicker like a real candle. A watch battery lasts like 60 hours in these. I bought two to try out in pumpkins for Halloween.