Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Christians who don't keep Christmas

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,008
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, misswang123

Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

silverwolf has shown a merry disposition
star Christians who don't keep Christmas

To my Christian friends on this board who love the holiday, if another Christian told you that it was wrong to celebrate Christmas due to its customs having pagan roots, how would you respond to that?

I hear the argument every year and sometimes it bothers me because I love this time of year, but don't want to sin either.

So what's your opinion on it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverwolf For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-08-2014), Starider52 (12-08-2009)

Old 12-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Official button pusher!

Last Achievements

Thanked 6,010 Times in 1,082 Posts
Undrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the tree
I would say bahhh humbug. Im celebrating the birth of Christ! There is no sin in that. The Church even celebrates it.
Thank you, Louann. We will never forget you!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Undrtakr For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (12-02-2009), ILuvChristmas (12-09-2009), snowflake22 (03-08-2014), Starider52 (12-08-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Gig Harbor Elf

candle Couple of things...

First question I'd ask you is have you prayed about it? What did God tell you? Not this other person, but if you have sought God, I suspect you will find he will provide the answer. Second stop if you are still unsure, have you approached your pastor or elders within your church and sought prayerful counsel?

The bible tells us to work out our salvation with "fear and trembling". It indicates to us that while it may be wrong for one, its a matter of the heart. God surely does convict us, if we have any sensitivity to him. Especially when we are doing things that are contrary to his leading or the direction his word gives us. Another question you can ask yourself is what negative impact does this have on your Christian walk? Does it come between you and God?

Let me give you an example... What would you do if that same friend/person told you it was wrong to watch television? There is plenty to see that is wrong about a lot of programing that is there, true? But wait, there's Christian Televison too, how would that fit into the equation?Would that mean that all television is wrong? The fundamentals of the industry that supports the programing is often contrary to God's word, true? So is "ALL Television" wrong? I'd submit no. How do we deal with that, we avoid the appearance of evil, just like it says to do in his word. Look at your motives.

At the same time, Christmas in the secular world promotes lots of things that are equally wrong, while the Christian segment promotes things that follow the bible, isn't that also right? Such things as giving to others. Doing for others. Putting others above ourselves. It promotes worship of the most high God. It promotes the celebration of the birth of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Do you really feel in your heart that God is not honored by that motive? Examining your motives for the celebration, may well help you find the answer you seek.

Jesus birth is the reason for the season, no matter how others may try to distort it. I've seen many people accept his salvation for their lives as a result of celebrating Jesus' birth. I think we honor God when we keep that focus. Just my opinion, but one I am convinced he is well pleased with.

Merry CHRISTmas!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (12-02-2009), christmasjingles (12-01-2009), CJ498 (12-02-2009), radiant star (12-02-2009), Starider52 (12-08-2009), TamaraQT (12-02-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 06:12 PM

Thanks for both of your answers.

I certainly wouldn't say that all TV is bad, nor everything on the Internet or what have you.

As for Christmas, I always try to approach it with an attitude of reverence for God and love for fellow men. I avoid drunken, orgiastic revelling. I just love to sing Christmas carols and exchange gifts with my family.

Merry Christmas to both of you!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverwolf For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (12-02-2009), snowflake22 (03-08-2014), Starider52 (12-08-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,062 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
Jesus was born, He came in the flesh, He has a birthday. No, it's not Dec.25th but it's a day we set aside to celebrate the greatest gift ever given that has never stopped giving.
Many will condemn, many will scoff, many will wonder. But God knows the heart. He knows what we are celebrating and why.
And the tree is just another decoration in the home that is pretty and makes people smile. Unless a person bows down to their tree and worships it, then there is nothing wrong with having a tree in the home.
God is more concerned with our hearts (our spirits), our character, our love for fellow human beings.

The light of Jesus should shine from His sheep all the time and it's wonderful that one night a year, people who don't even know Jesus have lights to celebrate this special Eve and many places on earth are shining the light of Jesus.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Nice post.

I certainly don't worship my Christmas tree. I just enjoy its beauty.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silverwolf For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (12-02-2009), CJ498 (12-02-2009), snowflake22 (03-08-2014), Starider52 (12-08-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
yeah

My dad ( a preacher) and my brother (a youth minster) both celebrate very little if any at all. No tree....nothing....
I am the black sheep when it comes to Christmas and they hate it....
Did i mention i am also Southern Baptist, in church every wed and sun, in a SS class, teach the youth, do nursery, do the churches IT network, and was a deacon....
But yeah - i know the feeling. Its weird. I LOVE Christmas - and we know the reason and focus on it... but we enjoy the other aspects as well.....
We know how to mix both and still respect the reason for the season. We read the Christmas story (from Luke) and Twas a night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve. On Christmas day - Santa has brought presents - then we light candles on a cake for Baby Jesus and all sing Happy Birthday (one of my daughters fav things to do).....
Oh well...more for us all to enjoy..
=)

Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 AM

I love the Christmas birthday cake tradition. I remember when I was in grade school (long before the age of political correctness), one of my teachers mentioned baking a cake and lighting a single candle on it for Baby Jesus.

Nowadays, she'd probably be canned for even mentioning it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to silverwolf For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (12-02-2009), ILuvChristmas (12-09-2009), rodmonster (12-02-2009), snowflake22 (03-08-2014), Starider52 (12-08-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Last Achievements

sdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elf
Unfortunately those who don't celebrate Christmas often look down on those that do. Paul addressed this in his book to the Romans (chapter 14). Whether we celebrate or not, we should honor Jesus and not judge others for what they do or don't do. By the way, you could ask them if they celebrate Easter. I hear Easter has some pagan roots too.

Another reason they give for not celebrating Christmas is Jesus didn't celebrate Christmas. Sounds like a no brainer to me, but in reality we don't know if Jesus' family celebrated birthdays or not. Then the question for them is this, do they celebrate
Hanukkah? Jesus did.

"In all this world there is nothing so beautiful as a happy child." - Santa Claus, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdkluger For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-08-2014), Starider52 (12-08-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Starider52 has shown a merry disposition
alot of insite here, it's Great ! And I agree with Do what's in your heart....
Anytime I have a question I ask God for an answer. He's NEVER wrong.... And I also believe in celebrating Jesus' Birthday. Christmas is a very special time of the year for me, becausing there is so much happiness in honoring a birth, especially Jesus' Day. We are all differently made. But what's in your heart is more important than attitudes of others and their traditions. If it makes you Happy, I say Celebrate Christmas until your cup is over flowing with love and joy !!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Starider52 For This Useful Post:
ILuvChristmas (12-09-2009), rodmonster (12-09-2009), snowflake22 (03-08-2014)