Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Baby Jesus Christmas Billboard Stirs Abortion Debate in UK

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,466
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,864)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Feast of Fools
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:33 PM
54,082 Views  0 Posts
Bells The Nativity Part IV: He...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:47 PM
66,480 Views  0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2004
By MMC Editor
06-11-2004 11:00 PM
60,628 Views  0 Posts
Neiman Marcus Has Just...
By Jeff Westover
10-09-2012 04:00 PM
25,592 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-18-2011 01:41 AM
64,353 Views  0 Posts

Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
MMC Newshound

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,028 Posts
ElfBot has disabled reputation
Baby Jesus Christmas Billboard Stirs Abortion Debate in UK

People see Jesus in a lot of things: Shrouds, grilled cheese sandwiches, ultrasounds. And in Britain this December, you’ll be able to see the baby Jesus in a simulation of what his own ultrasound would’ve looked like. The faux-ultrasound image is part of an ad campaign that will be featured on billboards with the [...]

More from Defend Christmas...
Old 09-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,332 Times in 12,650 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
The faux-ultrasound image is part of an ad campaign that will be featured on billboards with the goal of reaching 40 million people. Pro-life groups are celebrating it as a potentially effective abortion deterrent, although the caption only says, “He’s on His way: Christmas starts with Christ.” John Smeaton of the Society for the Protection of the Unborn Child says, “This advertisement sends a powerful message to everyone in Britain … Whenever we kill an unborn child in an abortion, we are killing Jesus.”
The ad is backed not by the adamantly anti-abortion Catholic Church but by several Protestant Churches, including the Church of England and the Methodist Church. Despite the fact that conversation about the ad has focused on abortion, Mike Elms, vice-chair of the agency that created the ad, claims that it’s not about politics. “We wanted to convey that Christmas starts with Christ.”
OK, this is just plain weird. I have to ask...who comes up with this stuff???
If they do not want it to be about abortion then why say "Whenever we kill an unborn child in an abortion, we are killing Jesus."
If they want to just convey that Christmas starts with Christ, then leave the rest out of it.
(by the way, I am pro life)
The Following User Says Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,411 Times in 1,737 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
I believe it's the woman's choice but that's beside the point

I don't think this is acceptable as an advertising campaign, whichever way you look at it
Old 09-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
That is awful!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelly ann For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-19-2011), snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I think it is a great Christmas message in itself, seeing that image with the caption "He’s on His way: Christmas starts with Christ." To me, it conveys how significant Christ's birth is in association with the holiday we celebrate.

I would assume those who are prolife certainly support the idea of seeing Jesus in a sonogram type image, but I wouldn't have gotten from the image that "Whenever we kill an unborn child in an abortion, we are killing Jesus." That is one's perception that goes beyond what the image displays, in my opinion. That image could certainly be used in other avenues besides a prolife campaign. I could see at as an advertisement for a children's hospital or a church of some kind. I think it is a profound image. Though I am prolife myself, I certainly do not get from this image a message that conveys "aborting an unborn child essentially means we are killing Jesus." That seems a bit of a manipulation if you ask me.
caninemom3 (09-16-2010), JanaBanana (11-07-2010), snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 09-19-2010, 09:27 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,891 Times in 2,409 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I think it proves that people see what they want to see.

I personally think the campaign is pretty stupid and assumes that most people are stupid, too, regardless of where they are coming from.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-20-2010), Christmasstar (05-19-2011), snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,091 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
ridiculous...

do people not take circumstances into account? not everything is always so black and white.

stupid campaign that shouldn't be allowed.

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (11-08-2010), Christmasstar (05-19-2011), snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The ad is done by: http://churchads.net/ and the campaign is here: http://churchads.net/2010/index.html

ChurchAds have been making ads in the UK for Christmas and the like for years. They've done a range of promos in the past trying to show Christmas in a contemporary light: http://churchads.net/past/index.html

They've also done some very novel radio spots such as: http://churchads.net/2010/radio.html

As far as I know they have NO CONNECTIONS WHATSOEVER to the Society for the Protection of the Unborn Child (http://www.spuc.org.uk/) John Smeaton picked it up and decided to use it for his own marketing purposes. His quote comes from a UK newspaper article back in June: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle7146436.ece Ruth Gledhill who wrote the article in The Times is one the UK's most respected religious correspondents.

I personally think it's a rather clever design - if you take it in the way it was designed, a though provoking way of showing Christmas - it wasn't meant to be a flag for the anti abortion movement! (see the quote from the guy from ChurchAds in the article) Also see page 10 of: http://www.eauk.org/idea/digital-jul-aug-2010.cfm from July this year (I've got a paper copy infront of me as I type!)

No doubt it will be getting a lot more press soon in the UK...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whychristmas For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (11-08-2010), snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,091 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by whychristmas View Post
The ad is done by: http://churchads.net/ and the campaign is here: http://churchads.net/2010/index.html

ChurchAds have been making ads in the UK for Christmas and the like for years. They've done a range of promos in the past trying to show Christmas in a contemporary light: http://churchads.net/past/index.html

They've also done some very novel radio spots such as: http://churchads.net/2010/radio.html

As far as I know they have NO CONNECTIONS WHATSOEVER to the Society for the Protection of the Unborn Child (http://www.spuc.org.uk/) John Smeaton picked it up and decided to use it for his own marketing purposes. His quote comes from a UK newspaper article back in June: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle7146436.ece Ruth Gledhill who wrote the article in The Times is one the UK's most respected religious correspondents.

I personally think it's a rather clever design - if you take it in the way it was designed, a though provoking way of showing Christmas - it wasn't meant to be a flag for the anti abortion movement! (see the quote from the guy from ChurchAds in the article) Also see page 10 of: http://www.eauk.org/idea/digital-jul-aug-2010.cfm from July this year (I've got a paper copy infront of me as I type!)

No doubt it will be getting a lot more press soon in the UK...
i'm glad about that. i don't think people who are the victims of rape and find themselves pregnant should be subjected to such campaigns.

as i say, everybody has different circumstances and whilst personally it's something i could never do, i do understand that some people feel differently.

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (11-08-2010), snowflake22 (03-07-2014)