Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Getting through winter

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,842
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,299 Times in 5,928 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Getting through winter

After Christmas and New Year's, the rest of the winter can get pretty dreary.

Do you agree?

In New England, we're liable to get freezing weather and snow into early April, so the winter following the holidays seems awfully long. We're too old to get "snow days"---even when the roads are too bad to drive to work, we have to work from home AND shovel the driveway. There are a couple good things about post-holiday winter:

1) Hot cocoa
2) Crocheting the top half of an afghan while keeping warm with the bottom half

Add your own thoughts about pleasant things that get you through the cold, gray days of February and March. If I think of more, I'll add to my personal list.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-26-2010), MsChristmas (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Right now our son is on a Polar Express kick so we are listening to soundtrack and/or watching the video EVERYDAY!!! Kind of helps to keep you in the Christmas Mood.

Post Christmas Sales: great for picking up gifts for next Christmas at great prices.
Stores are also marking down winter clothes to make room for the srping/summer stuff. Have been buying clothes for the kids for their b-days and for next christmas - hugh savings.

Have been thinking about ideas for next Christmas, looking up new recipes, thinking about different ways to decorate. I really like to use this to reflect on past Christmases. This helps me figure out what areas need improving like making meals ahead of time and freezing them to help avoid last minute take out. Also a good time to test new recipes for the following season especailly if it a hearty dish. Summer time is just to hot to be testing thos hearty dishes.

Tried crocheting but could not get the hang of it. I am better in the kitchen.

Hubby's b-day is in March so that helps a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,187 Times in 365 Posts
frostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
at this time of year I'm looking forward to springtime and warmer weather and cooking out on the grill.
The Following User Says Thank You to frostyman For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (02-22-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,276 Times in 13,281 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I want to walk out the door and not have to look for a coat, boots, mitts, hat, scarf, heating pad and mug of hot chocolate just to keep warm!

I love the snow when it first starts. I love a good snow storm when I do not have to worry about taking kids home in it. I love to build a snow man, hear the crunch of the freezing snow when it is -19c or colder or watch big fluffly flakes wafting slowly down.

But by this time of the year, I am ready for spring!
The Following User Says Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (02-22-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

pattilynn has shown a merry disposition
although I am in "warmer" weather in the 50's I agree Christmas "cold" is different than winter cold.

keeping busy seems to help alot and also getting out in the sunshine for a vitamin D boost helps too.
The Following User Says Thank You to pattilynn For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (02-22-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

jimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
candle

I'm spending time at both ends of the seasonal poles, at the moment, and pretty happy about it.

1) I'm writing a Christmas-oriented story. It's kept me in the Christmas spirit and given me an incentive to keep the Crosby and carols playing on the PC.

2) My kids are talking Disney for summer vacation. So mentally, I've also been paying the Magic Kingdom a visit.

3) Also, when the clouds break, if you can catch a winter sunrise or sunset, there's nothing so vibrant as a winter sky newly born, or coming to an end.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyolsen For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (02-22-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,299 Times in 5,928 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by jimmyolsen View Post

3) Also, when the clouds break, if you can catch a winter sunrise or sunset, there's nothing so vibrant as a winter sky newly born, or coming to an end.
Yes---things intrinsic to winter that help make winter more bearable, that's what I'm looking for! I'm looking forward to various things, but in a week like this one---where they're calling for rain and snow every day---I need some immediate small blessings to grab onto! Sort of the hot-soup-and-warm-fuzzy-socks department.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,255 Times in 28,875 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I agree that once christmas is over I am ready for the snow to end. The cooler temps don't bother me. The thing that gets me through winter is baking. I love to bake but don't do it alot in the summer becasue it heats up the apartment to much. So I bake as much as I can all winter long.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (02-23-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

ILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elfILuvChristmas is a good elf
Watching a Christmas movie or listening to Christmas music. We've had quite a bit of snow for NC this year, so have enjoyed those activities. Planning for next Christmas. Planning new ways of decorating for Christmas next year. Today I watched "A Christmas Story" while it was a cold, foggy, rainy day today. The other day I ordered some Christmas cds. Beyond the Star by Michael Londra, Alabama's two Christmas cds and played them while doing chores. Seems to help keep the winter blues away. We had a sneak peek of spring on Sunday but now all we're getting is a cold and wet mess all this week .

Also planning and decorating for Valentine's Day as well as St.Patrick's Day helps a whole lot too!
The Following User Says Thank You to ILuvChristmas For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,699 Times in 14,907 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
This year it does seem to be going very slowly maybe because around here all we are getting is cold, cold air and no snow. I love the winter but it is dragging a bit.