Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » Christmas songs/shows that chronicalize memories

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
How to Properly Light...
By MMC Editor
08-29-2011 02:10 AM
0 Posts
Homemade Ornaments and...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 08:59 PM
36,072 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in the 1930s
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:02 PM
63,403 Views  0 Posts
stocking Thanksgiving Activities...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:52 PM
62,993 Views  0 Posts
Xtree1 Saying No to Black Friday
By MMC Editor
10-19-2011 07:05 AM
Last post by sprinkleshouse
07-28-2013 02:25 PM
52,916 Views  5 Posts

Old 05-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
It's weird when I think of my Christmas as a child the first thing that comes to mind is a old Kroger commercial.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

G.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Billy Battles View Post
It's weird when I think of my Christmas as a child the first thing that comes to mind is a old Kroger commercial.
I can relate to that! I often think of the Budweiser/ Clydesdale's one or the Toys R Us one from the 70's. Then theres that coffee one where the kid comes home from college and surprises his folks, which they still air..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G.Bailey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-05-2011), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,478 Times in 9,043 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Oh yes, speaking of commercials. The Norelco Santa commercial brings back childhood memories for me!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-04-2010), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), jimmyolsen (11-27-2010), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
There are quite a bit of nostalgic commercials in the video section.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,941 Times in 1,060 Posts
ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
What a touching thread this is!!! I've enjoyed reading your stories!

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" always brings a tear to my eye. My Mom is from New Brunswick and left her friends and family right out of highschool to come to Toronto, Ontario. I've been to New Brunswick so many times that I like to call it "home" as well.

When I was young - mom and dad would pack up me and my brother and we'd go down east to be with the family at Christmas. My grand-mother was alive at the time. Sooooooo many special and warm memories I have of that! Anyway...we haven't been there since my grand-mother passed away in 1980. When I hear that song...I think of my mom (and me) not being in New Brunswick with the family...and my grand-mother looking down from above.

Its been many years since my childhood and now I always host Christmas - so my family always comes to our home for the celebration! I am hoping that these are days that my children will look back on and remember with happiness!

Yet still...memories of my wonderful childhood Christmases always brings a tear to my eye and a smile in my heart.

Oh...this is not a song or movie - but the smell of home baked goods that contain cinnamen ALWAYS takes me back to my childhood...my grammie's kitchen...simpler and innocent times...love of family and being all together at Christmas!!!

I really must learn to bake!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChristmasHeart For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-05-2011), Christmasstar (02-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Aww these are all so wonderful to read!!!!!!!!

I think Charlie Brown Christmas and Garfield Christmas for sure bring back memories from when I was a kid. My mom had a VHS tape of the major holiday specials like: Charlie Brown, Garfield, Rudolph, Year Without a Santa Claus, Claymation Christmas. Not to go off on a rant but someone said there are less specials on TV now....I have to agree!! None like these classic ones mentioned above! Home Alone also became a movie that I watch every year and now Christmas Vacation!

I have to get kind of teary now because Roger Whittaker's "Ding Dong Merrily On High," always makes me remember the past. My mom used to play the cassette tape and she got it from my Grandparents - so it reminds me of them. There are a few songs like that, that really get me into the spirit - Johnny Mathis and really most classic Christmas songs.

I too remember waiting forever to open our presents - it would just drag on and on! My mom really wanted us to enjoy it -I think as long as possible. It takes forever even now to get to the presents, but now that I am older, I realize it's better to wait. When my mom does the stockings, she uses white tissue paper and wraps each thing inside. It's more of a mystery that way.

I think in the future I would like to open gifts throughout the day instead of one sitting. I know its silly, but my mom and I always get bummed when under the tree is bare- after all the gifts are opened. So I think to prolong Christmas - I would like to take a break, listen to some Christmas music, eat etc and open more presents. Christmas day just goes by too quickly! As an adult, I would like to do more for Christmas and extend it as long as possible.

Thanks for posting all your memories and thoughts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-04-2010), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), jimmyolsen (11-27-2010), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 07-04-2010, 04:19 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,447 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

What wonderful memories you all have !! In fact, Snow In Texas, I got very choked up when I read your memories in particular.

I guess Nat King Cole singing The Christmas Song takes me right back to Christmas in the 1960's. When I hear it I get a picture in my mind of my mother (who has been gone since 1998) and I making cookies in the kitchen together while that song is playing. We would be laughing and getting batter all over everyhing but who cared ??!!! It was so much fun. In those days too, tire stores like Firestone and such issued Christmas albums that were a collection of stars like Johnny Mathis, Steve and Eydie Gorme, the Mormon Tabernacle choir, Bing Crosby, etc. I still have one of those albums in my possession that I used to listen to as a kid. It may not be worth much to anyone else but to me it is worth more than money could buy.

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
Rudolph, because it reminds me of a being a kid. Bing Crosby and Perry Como Christmas albums, they remind me of decorating the house with my mom when I was a little kid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-05-2011), Christmasstar (02-04-2011)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,590 Times in 748 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Songs: Holly, Jolly Christmas~Burl Ives (Rudolph!), Christmas Through Your Eyes~Gloria Estefan (I didn't "get" the lyrics when the song first came out in 1993 (I was 13!) but I totally get it now and it turns me into a softy) and a bunch of others that have already been mentioned.

TV Specials: It was Christmas, 1987. I was 7 years old (less than a month away from turning 8) and my parents had me go to bed one evening for school. I wanted to stay up to watch Rudolph. I could stay up until X time (probably 8:30) then I HAD to go to bed. Dad PROMISED he'd record the rest but if I wanted to watch it, I had to get up extra early for school. I agreed ahd he kept his word. So I got up, ate breakfast, got dressed, the usual and while Mom was doing my hair (at that time, it was waist-length) I was GLUED to the TV thinking this would be the ONLY time I'd ever be able to see it--HA! How was I to know it was the 1964 classic, Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer?

So Dad recorded it plus a few others from that year. What are they? A Garfield Christmas (ABC Family has JUST started airing this--YAHOO!! ), A Claymation Christmas (if you're an 80s child, you know what I'm talking about) plus a few others. Sadly, I was dopey enough to erase this tape. UGH!!

That's all I can think of for right now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimothy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 AM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 70,157 Times in 13,935 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
For me it is the Christmas specials like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and a Charlie Brown Christmas, it was THE event of the season they were on only once a year and if you missed them you were out of luck, since it was before VCR's. I remember being all cuddled up with my parents watching Rudolph, it was so magical watching that movie back then, so innocent.