Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Environmental Group Wants to Replace Rockefeller Christmas Tree

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,836
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM
MMC Newshound

Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,078 Posts
ElfBot has disabled reputation
Environmental Group Wants to Replace Rockefeller Christmas Tree

What’s more green than a Christmas tree? Not cutting it down in the first place, says a pro-environment group petitioning Rockefeller Center to end its holiday tree-lighting ceremony.The group, Save a Giant Tree, hopes to collect 10,000 signatures to persuade Rockefeller Center management to replace the tree with artwork fashioned from recycled materials.“We want to [...]

More from Defend Christmas...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
I get what they are trying to do, but no. Its part of Christmas tradition. They could just RE-plant another tree in it's place. Or plant TWO for removing one each year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,468 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Eh???!!!!!! How on earth can you replace a real live Christmas tree with......what was it.........oh yes - "artwork fashioned from recycled materials"

Doesn't give you same warm glow, does it??!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All kinds of stuff tree.JPG (29.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:36 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Doesn't give you same warm glow, does it??!!
Spiked eggnog fills the gap nicely.
judesmama (05-03-2010), made582 (04-29-2010), snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Hahha, yea that looks terrible!! Its part of the tradition of xmas. Like I said, I would think a more simple idea would be to plan two trees in it's place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

YellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elf
I hope this effort doesn't change the current tradition. NYC at Christmas time is one of my "bucket list" items. I will not be happy if when I finally get my opportunity to go, I end up looking at a giant hunk of "artwork" made up of old tires, plastic bottles, and soiled disposable diapers.

YS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YellowSnow For This Useful Post:
made582 (04-30-2010), snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

emski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elfemski4379 is a good elf
We're pretty earth friendly here, but I would hate to see this tradition canceled. I finally went to NYC at Christmas this past Holiday, after wanting to go for several years. It was amazing. Just gorgeous. The tree was beatiful!
The Following User Says Thank You to emski4379 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 05-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry disposition
I totally understand where they are comming from-and I do what I can to be green and be enviromentally conscious.

BUT!--Like it was said earlier, for every tree cut down, plant more! As long as they keep replenshing from where they took I think it would be alright.

Here is an idea for everyone complaining about the tree: Stop sending me junk mail every single day. Flyers, catalogs, newspapers I didn't ask for, coupons I don't use, mailers from local businesses---I use NONE of it and ask for none of it--do you know how many trees were cut down because of that?

Leave Christmas alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristmasKid77 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,781 Times in 1,184 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I thought they always did plant a tree to replace the one they took.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-07-2014)
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,630 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
I agree with Snow-in-Texas... I thought they replaced the tree by planting another. Maybe they can plant 2 and appease them. A big, beautiful tree at Rockefeller is a wonderful tradition and I'd hate to see it go. How ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-07-2014)