Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Christmas & summer heat...

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Christmas & summer heat...

Next month is May and around here mid may to June...the heat starts up! Here we often get into the triple digits in summertime and it's a real drag!!!

The heat lasts anytime from May-to the first two weeks of October. It's so awful, as my closet of jeans, sweaters, hoodies...all mock me while it's blazing heat outside. I am not an outdoors, shorts wearing kind of guy...

My question for your Christmas friends is what do you do during summer to deal with the heat? I think it's just miserable and often wish we could just skip right over summer. How do you stay in the Christmas spirit when it's roasting outside? We have air conditioning but still, it gets so warm and I def associate my winter clothing with the end of the year holidays. I don't mind sometimes some warm days, but we have week after week of 100 degree weather and just when I think I can't take it anymore - summer finally ends. I keep saying in the future, I want to move somewhere that doesn't get ultra hot cause I really dislike it. I long for Christmas during summer because I know that's when it's nice and cold out ...but it makes me so cranky. What do you do to keep the spirit?!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,833 Times in 9,414 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I know all too well about the awful heat. The temperatures here are unbearable and the electricity bill is horrible. I don't even keep my house that chilly and suffer outrageous monthly bills.

With all that heat I manage to get even more into the Christmas spirit. In July, QVC has their Christmas in July sale and some of the stores start filling up with Christmas goodies. Hallmark usually has a Christmas in July event that we go to. We also have a couple of Christmas stores that are open year round and will visit a few times during the summer. Be on the lookout for places promoting Christmas in July. Maybe that would help.

I can also suggest to you to keep coming here for a Christmas visit to keep you in the spirit!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (04-19-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,235 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Crank up the Tinsel Tunes of course! I keep a playlist in i-Tunes/i-Pod called “50 Cool Yules, Baby!” Tunes are rotated in and out as desired.

Each Rudolph Day, a Christmas music source, often downloadable, is added to the running stash in the music room. Download some now for those summertime escapes!

Just today, I was directed to a new (to me) music blog with thirty-four Christmas music OOP record shares to add to the collection and it ain't even Summer yet! *Look for details and the link this April Rudolph Day! (Platinum members will know where to look for it now!)*

As my pal, Thayrone of the “Bone Conduction Music Show" says, “Nothing makes more sense than the Christmas show fired up poolside in the Summer!” Hope some of y'all were able to download it before it rotated from the archive.

Last edited by RadioJonD; 04-18-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
I know all too well about the awful heat. The temperatures here are unbearable and the electricity bill is horrible. I don't even keep my house that chilly and suffer outrageous monthly bills.

With all that heat I manage to get even more into the Christmas spirit. In July, QVC has their Christmas in July sale and some of the stores start filling up with Christmas goodies. Hallmark usually has a Christmas in July event that we go to. We also have a couple of Christmas stores that are open year round and will visit a few times during the summer. Be on the lookout for places promoting Christmas in July. Maybe that would help.

I can also suggest to you to keep coming here for a Christmas visit to keep you in the spirit!
Yes I so look forward to QVC's Christmas in July. That is one gem that keeps me very sane during the insane during the horrid heat!

I will be on the lookout for Christmas stores. We do have a year round store here too. Perhaps I will pop in when I need to escape the heat and just pretend for 30 mins while I am in the store (hehe).

As far as your air conditioning (and you prob do this). An air conditioning company told me (while my parents were getting estimates - not sure if its true) but if you keep the air on one setting throughout the day it can be less expensive. The air conditioning doesn't have to kick on much if you keep the thermostat on say 77 (or something). It's when your house is hot and you have to run it for an hour to cool the house off is when the bill is most expensive. I don't know if thats true, but they said its less energy if the air isn't turned on and off all day long. Don't know if you have tried other tips, but you could prob google it. Just thought id try and help ya save a penny.

Boy though...sometimes I want to crank the air to 75 and sit with my winter sweaters on hahahah! Boy is it easier to get warm than to stay cooled off. We did get lucky last year though! There was no heat until late July...which is just unheard of. I got to watch xmas in July on QVC with the heat on because it was cold, it was great!! But again...unheard of! I cross my fingers for less summer heat this year.

I will def stick around here alot and hope you all can keep the spirit with me.

RadioJonD - Thank you for all those links. I will check them all out!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,833 Times in 9,414 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by rockchild View Post

As far as your air conditioning (and you prob do this). An air conditioning company told me (while my parents were getting estimates - not sure if its true) but if you keep the air on one setting throughout the day it can be less expensive. The air conditioning doesn't have to kick on much if you keep the thermostat on say 77 (or something). It's when your house is hot and you have to run it for an hour to cool the house off is when the bill is most expensive. I don't know if thats true, but they said its less energy if the air isn't turned on and off all day long. Don't know if you have tried other tips, but you could prob google it. Just thought id try and help ya save a penny.
Right before I came on these forums I was just googling about saving on electricity during the summer. Lol! I actually follow those tips on air conditioning settings and trying to see if there is anything else I can do. I think the whole problem is that we rent and I am sure we have an outdated central air conditioner that is probably not energy efficient. This house could use a little more insulation too. We are going to work on doing something about it this year.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
A few years ago we started celebrating Christmas in July. The weekend closest to July 24/25 I will make a dinner like a turkey breast in a crock pot, cranberry sauce, stuffing, etc and make a couple pies, one pumpkin and another one either apple or cherry. We watch Christmas movies all day long.

I have foam christmas ornaments kits and foam halloween house kits that we will work with the kids on on the days it's too hot to be outside.

We shop all year long for Christmas so I tend to take a day here and there to go through all the totes where we store the gifts and update my gift list and start to really think about the rest of the gifts that we need to buy.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,060 Times in 28,844 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I agree that it is hard to stay in the christmas spirit when it is over 80 degrees outside but coming here everyday helped me alot last year. I also agree with celebrating christmas in july. It really gives you something to look forward to. I also try to do alot of christmas crafts during the summer. I always look for new ornament ideas anytime I go to a craft show and write them down in my christmas notebook. If you have a hobby lobby store near you they start to christmas stuff in at the begining of july so I go there usually once every couple of weeks to get it the christmas spirit. I also will watch christmas movies or listen to christmas music whenever I start to feel bummed out.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
We celebrate Christmas in July also! I do like the warm weather and love the beach and swimming but I do think the warm weather lasts too long! I usually start my Christmas shopping in the summer. We celebrate Christmas in July at my work too and put up a few decorations..we bring in food, play Christmas music all day, exchange presents wrapped in Christmas paper ($5 limit) so that helps! I listen to Christmas music all year long but it really seems to pick up around June or July as the weather is getting unbearable! I guess we are all in the same boat
Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Christmasologist

Wenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoe

Photo by allspice1, from Flickr

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow…
Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

are those snow machines???! lol