Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » Top ten myths about Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Tree Safety
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:51 PM
45,269 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Tips for Keeping Your...
By MMC Editor
08-30-2011 02:21 AM
65,667 Views  0 Posts
How Santa Does It
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:19 PM
46,443 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in the 1930s
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:02 PM
63,417 Views  0 Posts
Up in Flames
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:26 PM
47,897 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
I don't care what the first Pilgrims ate. I've never tried to reenact what they did. I hate killing people to make room for myself. Just seems wrong somehow. However, I will stuff myself on the usual menu and watch football. What could be more American?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Ervserver

We are probably better off not knowing exactly what they ate. Can you imagine?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Santa Clausologist

caseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elf
I do not mean to be critical of the original poster, however, most people I know, and correct me if Im wrong, do not care about the history behined this particular holiday, it is just a time to get together with family, hang out, eat, talk, watch football, and play games. i welcome input.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Ervserver

The post is just a little FYI, how families choose to spend their Thanksgiving is up to them. God Bless em. It's too bad most people you know don't care about the history of our country
Old 11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

elfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happy
casey, i am sure you meant no criticism. however you have failed to grasp the entire concept of the post. yes youre right. i am sure most people just care about parades and football and family. i know i do. and i think that sentiment has been expressed on this board a million times in a million ways. the point of the post is that regardless of whether or not we sit down to dinner on that 4th thursday and take a moment to reflect on that first feast, we all have an idea in our heads of what that was about. we all think ppl in buckled shoes and funny hats were breaking bread with the indians. the science of history says different. and for those of us who enjoy history; for those of us interested in learning, as opposed to blind ignorant faith, this post of erv's was really groovy, and i for one, plan to print it out for my fellow revelers on thanksgiving day.

xo

"Elfworks is right." *Jeff Westover

HAVE SPATULA. WILL TRAVEL......
www.thyca.org
http://www.aace.com/public/awareness...kCheckCard.pdf

OH HAPPY DAY! THE END OF KAKISTOCRACY IS HERE!!

"NO, NO, NO ! I mean JINGLE BELLS ! You know... Santa Claus and Ho Ho Ho and Mistletoe and presents to pretty girls..." * Lucy Van Pelt
"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!" * Lucy Van Pelt
Old 11-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

mrshamm is a new face around here!
I love History! I don't think about the history behind Thanksgiving during the actual Holiday but I love hearing about it. I have heard those myths debunked before (my first year of college, I believe) but it was much more in depth and we had to write a paper on them.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
I was sorry to hear about the outfits not being historically accurate. I was all set to go back in time and make fun of their shoes, but now there's no point.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Ervserver

I've been to Plymouth Rock out in MA. They have a replica village set up with people in period garb working there. The original Thanksgiving had to been quite primitive. Don't think had eggnog but I think some of the original fruitcakes are still around.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Santa Clausologist

caseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elf
Originally Posted by ElfWorks
casey, i am sure you meant no criticism. however you have failed to grasp the entire concept of the post. yes youre right. i am sure most people just care about parades and football and family. i know i do. and i think that sentiment has been expressed on this board a million times in a million ways. the point of the post is that regardless of whether or not we sit down to dinner on that 4th thursday and take a moment to reflect on that first feast, we all have an idea in our heads of what that was about. we all think ppl in buckled shoes and funny hats were breaking bread with the indians. the science of history says different. and for those of us who enjoy history; for those of us interested in learning, as opposed to blind ignorant faith, this post of erv's was really groovy, and i for one, plan to print it out for my fellow revelers on thanksgiving day.

xo
I know your right (as usuall) I know I myself do not know the real History, and that is a sad thing all could learn something from this post.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Ervserver

Like all holidays Thanksgiving has become commercialized and grocery stores want us to buy everything from Cool Whip to canned yams. Most of us know or don't care if the Pilgrims ate them or not. I do like to know the history though, it's very interesting. There is a new book out called Mayflower, read it if interested.