Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Childhood Memories Of Christmas

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,085
Threads: 53,911
Top Poster: xmas365 (164,784)
Welcome to our newest member, williamjohn

Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,501 Times in 9,289 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly Childhood Memories Of Christmas

Hi everyone. I have been thinking about this a little while and decided to start a thread about it. I think there is/are probably another thread or threads like this but I thought it might be fun and interesting if we could all share some fond memories of what Christmas was like when we were kids.

I have many memories but I suppose the fondest memory for me was the year my father was really into reel to reel tape recorders. Remember those anyone ?? They were "cutting edge" technology in those days !! For some reason, my dad liked to record things and then listen to the playback. He recorded TV shows, presidential speeches, everything !!

The first year he had his first recorder, it must have been 1962 or 1963, he and my mother gave me one of the most wonderful gifts. On Christmas Eve after I had gone to bed my mother had a conversation with Santa !!! My mom asked him all the usual questions, How is the weather ?? How are the reindeer doing ?? How is Mrs. Santa ?? Has Louanne (my real name!) been a good girl ?? (of course the answer was YES !!) and so on. My mom must have talked to Santa for like half an hour or so. Then on the tape he says he has to go and the tape ends. I did ask my mom later where my daddy was and she said it must not have picked up his voice !!!

I still have the tape and it is quite precious to me. So, does anyone have any childhood memories they would like to share ?? Take care everyone and as it is getting closer and closer and I am so excited ........

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (07-06-2010), ChristmasHeart (07-05-2010), Christmasstar (07-06-2010), kgstyles (07-07-2010), lizziexo (08-31-2010), made582 (07-05-2010), MsChristmas (07-06-2010), reindeerelf (07-07-2010), Smiley21 (07-06-2010), whitney37354 (07-07-2010)

Old 07-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,741 Times in 9,571 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
That is a fantastic story!

I am tired from returning from my vacation so when I think of my fondest memory I will post it later.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,061 Posts
ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
Oh Cininemom3! What a touching story! You made me smile!

There are so many special memories I have of Christmas when I was a child...but I'll share the one when I actually saw Santa! Yes...I really did!

I must have been about 7 years old at the time. Getting to sleep Christmas Eve was always so difficult as the excitement of the next day was just too great to allow the sand-man to sweep over me!

Well...I finally went to sleep, but then woke up so a sound of rustling in the dining room. My curiousity got the better of me...so I ever so quietly slipped out of bed and tip-toed to the door leading to the outer rooms.

I gently opened the door to take a peak, careful not to let the old door squeak - and loe and behold...there he was!!! Santa Claus was putting presents under our Christmas Tree!!!

Oh my...I started feeling really nervous because if he caught me awake - he might take all the Christmas presents back! NO! I just couldn't let that happen! So I shuffled back to my room...jumped into bed...pulled the covers up, and pretended I was asleep. All the while...my heart was pounding so hard that I could hear it in my ears.

Now...I could swear that I heard my door open - and I just knew that it was Santa making sure I was asleep! Hopefully I could fool him...and I did because the very next morning (Christmas morning) I ran out to the dining room and there sat all my presents!!!

Well - I've told this story thousands of times over the years and people would say that I was only dreaming. But I don't believe it one little bit. That was the year I witnessed Santa in my home...with my very own eyes!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChristmasHeart For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-06-2010), MsChristmas (07-06-2010), reindeerelf (07-07-2010), Smiley21 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Aww Louanne, that is such a great story. Was it actually your dads voice disguised? Or was it someone else? That is so sweet.

I told the story a month or two ago...around when I joined the forums.

I too saw Santa. I used to be TERRIBLY afraid santa was going to come in because "he knows when your sleeping and awake." I used to hide under the covers afraid to take them off my face. Perhaps someone should have told me he knows but hes not a stalker about it hahaha!

Anyway. One year I was tired of hiding. Opened the door quietly, peeked around the corner of the wall. There was a bike, moving across the floor ALL by it's self. I ran to my parents room screaming and crying that I saw a bike moving on it's own.

Was it my dad? Was it just a trick of the light passing over the shiny metal? Not sure. My mom still says it was Santa. I prob told everyone about it and it's prob why I was scared of Santa hovering over my bed to see if I was awake.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-06-2010), ChristmasHeart (07-06-2010), Smiley21 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,787 Times in 1,185 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Well I have already shared mine I think before. I have mentioned the BB gun (not a Red Ryder) which turned out to be the last Christmas gift my father gave me, he passed away just a few months after that Christmas. I will always have that gun, I may never shoot it again, but that doesn't matter. I am the youngest of 3, I have an older brother and sister, and we would all work together decorating the house, my dad would play his Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas 8 track tapes while we worked on the house. Then Christmas morning us kids would take turns going to the bathroom by my parents' bedroom trying to wake them up with the toilet flushing. Oh and the night before, when my brother and I would go to bed, we always apologized to each other for everything we did to each other throughout the year, we did fight a lot, thinking doing that would guarantee that Santa would come to our house.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-06-2010), ChristmasHeart (07-06-2010), Smiley21 (07-06-2010), whitney37354 (07-07-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 AM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,501 Times in 9,289 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Originally Posted by Snow-in-Texas View Post
Well I have already shared mine I think before. I have mentioned the BB gun (not a Red Ryder) which turned out to be the last Christmas gift my father gave me, he passed away just a few months after that Christmas. I will always have that gun, I may never shoot it again, but that doesn't matter. I am the youngest of 3, I have an older brother and sister, and we would all work together decorating the house, my dad would play his Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas 8 track tapes while we worked on the house. Then Christmas morning us kids would take turns going to the bathroom by my parents' bedroom trying to wake them up with the toilet flushing. Oh and the night before, when my brother and I would go to bed, we always apologized to each other for everything we did to each other throughout the year, we did fight a lot, thinking doing that would guarantee that Santa would come to our house.

Thank you so much for sharing again. Your story touches my heart so much. I am so glad you were so kind to tell it once more.

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Snow-in-Texas (07-08-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,835 Times in 3,867 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
When my dad would pack all us kids into his old Chevy and take us around looking at everybody's lights, then we'd stop at Isaly's for Klondikes...

Of course, I remember seeing Mister Magoo, Rudolph, Charlie Brown and The Grinch the first time each of them aired... and every year thereafter... they were always "water cooler" talk in the school playground the next day... if you didn't see 'em, you were nothing..!
caninemom3 (07-06-2010), ChristmasHeart (07-06-2010), Smiley21 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Mistletoeologist

Smiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
All of your stories are touching.

For me, it would be baking cookies with my grandmother. Every year she would round up all of her grandchildren & we'd bake cookies. She let us eat all the sweets & order a pizza for us,and then we'd stay the night. We all have MILLIONS of stories to tell from the years of making cookies. The next morning we would hurry up & wake up thinking she would let us eat our cookies first thing in the morning LOL...but somehow my dad always managed to eat a little bit of all of our cookies when he would come pick up me & my brother.

That's a really nice tradition that I hope to pass on one day to my children.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smiley21 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-06-2010), ChristmasHeart (07-07-2010), lizziexo (08-31-2010), made582 (07-07-2010), MsChristmas (07-07-2010)
Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,647 Times in 585 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
I remember seeing Santa at a strip mall in a town 30 minutes from home when my sister was a baby (1976). I talked to him even though I was scared to death of Santa. If mom was having me talk to him, then I'd best do it! We left there and went to the strip mall in our town. Santa was there too! I asked Mom how he got there so quick. I can't believe she thought of this, but she said, "Well, how did you get here? If you can, then Santa can too!" Mom still have a picture of me with Santa at the second stop and I always remember asking that question.

I remember being in the church Christmas plays. My mom usually directed them and I would be the lead angel, memorizing the verses at age 6. We always burned candles in the church windows on those nights, and the smell of a freshly snuffed candle always takes me back to that little church.

I remember going to parades and parties at school (where I usually got the worst gifts in the class, but it never bothered me!).

Most of all, I remember Christmas Eve. We lived next door to my maternal grandparents. I would go over on Christmas Eve morning to check out the gifts under the tree. Nanny never put a gift under the tree until then, because she knew she wouldn't be leaving home that day. She hid them under the beds before then. The den would be full of gifts because she loved Christmas more than some children do and she always went overboard---just like DD's grandparents do now! It seemed that she was cooking dinner all day and the smell was so good. The window to the sunporch were always steamed up from the cooking. We would wear our new Christmas clothes that Nanny had bought us and walk to her house at 5 p.m. for dinner. There were nine of us crowded around a six person table, but three of us were under 8, so we were fine. I couldn't eat much because I was so excited about the gifts. One year my brother went into the den and peeked into one of his gifts---he knew what he name looked like, so he picked one of his own to peak into---a Smurf sweatsuit. He was so excited! That time was always the best part of Christmas for me.

After that, we'd go to my paternal grandparent's house, about 20 minutes away to exchange gifts. I remember looking out the back window of the car one year and believing that I saw Santa & his sleigh in the sky. Then we came home and went to bed.

Christmas Day was depressing for me, even as a child. The "fun stuff" was over and we went to grandparents houses again for lunch & snacks.

I'm glad now that I have Christmas Eve with no set plans to make new traditions with DH & DD. We spend Christmas morning with DH's family & Christmas evening with my family. We get a couple hours Christmas afternoon to unload the van and recharge at home. Less down time to be depressed!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-07-2010), ChristmasHeart (07-07-2010), MsChristmas (07-07-2010), Smiley21 (07-07-2010)
Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 160,632 Times in 30,583 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
One of my favorite memories is from when I was about 5 years old. Me and my sisters were running around my grandmas house on Christmas eve and we ran into her Christmas tree and knocked it over. Then we ran and hid behind my grandpa so my grandma didn't beat us. Luckily we only broke a couple of ornaments and grandpa was able to set the tree back up pretty easily. My aunt has a picture of all three of us kids piled up on my grandpas lap with the tree knocked over in the background. I treasure it because my grandpa died the next summer from cancer.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-07-2010), ChristmasHeart (07-07-2010), lizziexo (08-31-2010), Smiley21 (07-07-2010), whitney37354 (07-08-2010)