Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Gifting Need ideas? Brainstorm here with others about what to give for him or her!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
How to Make Craft...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:04 PM
44,058 Views  0 Posts
santahat Remember when Black...
By MMC Editor
11-12-2013 12:55 AM
Last post by thechristmasmusicman
01-27-2014 10:42 AM
18,441 Views  4 Posts
Bells Joseph, Mary and Jesus
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:52 PM
63,586 Views  0 Posts
The Year Santa Was...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:33 PM
54,398 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Sorting Out the Truth of...
By MMC Editor
11-09-2011 01:26 PM
57,367 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,762 Times in 1,181 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
present A little means a lot

Wanted to share something with you all, then see if any of you have ever had something like this happen to you.

First of all, back in Maryland I had a yellow lab named Max. He was my best friend, unfortunately when I moved to Texas, I couldn't bring him with me. Well about a year ago, he got sick and my mom had to put him down. She called me while we were out shopping to tell me, and I stood in the store crying.

Well this past Christmas, my step-daughter, Tiffany, bought an ornament of a yellow lab, and gave it to me as a Christmas present. It wasn't expensive at all, maybe a couple of dollars, but it meant the world to me. I actually teared up a bit when I opened it, and she thought she upset me, but I told her that it was one of the most wonderful and thoughtful gifts I ever got. I have it sitting right in front of me on my computer desk all the time, that one small gesture actually brought me and Tiffany closer together, I love her like she was my own daughter. I always felt that way, but that just showed me how much she thinks of me. It kinda brought home to me whan people say it is the thought, not the gift that counts.

So are there any small gifts that you got that meant more because of the thought behind it? Whether it is bought or handmade, and it doesn't even have to be Christmas related, it can be anything.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (10-11-2009), ChristmasHeart (08-20-2010), pkcrafty (10-11-2009), Spyells (10-01-2011), trackrebel (08-21-2010)
Old 10-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Janey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeJaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I can't specifically think of one I received, but I gave my mum (just as a gift - not for an occasion) and a purse with a picture of our cat on it who died who she loved so much and I know that made her day... it's something she uses on a daily basis and whenever seeing the purse she is reminded of him
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), Christmas-A-Holic (10-11-2009), ChristmasHeart (08-21-2010)
Old 10-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,390 Times in 9,031 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Snow-in-Texas View Post
Wanted to share something with you all, then see if any of you have ever had something like this happen to you.

First of all, back in Maryland I had a yellow lab named Max. He was my best friend, unfortunately when I moved to Texas, I couldn't bring him with me. Well about a year ago, he got sick and my mom had to put him down. She called me while we were out shopping to tell me, and I stood in the store crying.

Well this past Christmas, my step-daughter, Tiffany, bought an ornament of a yellow lab, and gave it to me as a Christmas present. It wasn't expensive at all, maybe a couple of dollars, but it meant the world to me. I actually teared up a bit when I opened it, and she thought she upset me, but I told her that it was one of the most wonderful and thoughtful gifts I ever got. I have it sitting right in front of me on my computer desk all the time, that one small gesture actually brought me and Tiffany closer together, I love her like she was my own daughter. I always felt that way, but that just showed me how much she thinks of me. It kinda brought home to me whan people say it is the thought, not the gift that counts.

So are there any small gifts that you got that meant more because of the thought behind it? Whether it is bought or handmade, and it doesn't even have to be Christmas related, it can be anything.
We would have loved to have Max come down to Texas but he belong to the whole family and his mom and dad really didn't want to let Max go. Max had a great loving family until he passed on. R.I.P. Max.

I got a little emotional as well when you opened that gift. It was a surprise to me as well.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), ChristmasHeart (08-21-2010), Snow-in-Texas (10-11-2009)
Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Well I have 2 stories. The first one happened to me at my old work place. I was in a really down kind of a mood, crying and not being myself. I was going through a break up with my boyfriend and some people didn't really know what was going on but they knew that I was upset. I am always the fun, smiling, laughing girl at work that likes to joke around so when I wasn't acting like myself people noticed right away. Well one morning when I came in I found a pack of Eat 'N Park Smiley cookies on my desk. This older guy (he was in his late 50's I'd say, I was about 22) came up to me and said that he didn't know what was going on with me but he noticed that I was having a bad week so he bought me some smiley cookies to cheer me up! He said I looked like I could use a smile. That made my day and I was in a better mood after that. So sweet of him!

The other story has to do with a gift that I bought for my mom. She had just been laid off from her job after 11 years with them. It was right after Christmas and she got the call while she was home sick from work. She was nervous about starting over being that she was in her late 50's. She was so upset, crying all day, worrying about finding a job, money and she was bored out of her mind with nothing to do all day. So I went out and bought her an addresss book/greeting card organizer so that she could get her addresses in order and I got her some cards to put in it so that she could put them in her new organizer and have them ready for upcoming birthdays. It was something that she said she always wanted to do but never had the time to sit down and do it. I also bought her some spa items like body wash, lotion, a gift certificate to get her nails done and some other items like candles and a card. I made up a basket and took it to her and told her that I hope it helped her to feel better. I also took her an application for the company that I worked for and I set up an interview for her. She's been there for 5 going on 6 years now! She was thrilled! She said it really helped her and she appreciated the gesture. She was relieved that she was only out of a job for a few months too.

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Santa's Helper For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), Christmas-A-Holic (10-11-2009), ChristmasHeart (08-21-2010), jolly elf (08-21-2010), Snow-in-Texas (10-11-2009)
Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,762 Times in 1,181 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
We would have loved to have Max come down to Texas but he belong to the whole family and his mom and dad really didn't want to let Max go. Max had a great loving family until he passed on. R.I.P. Max.

I got a little emotional as well when you opened that gift. It was a surprise to me as well.

Actually there was some discussion about Max coming with me, since he and I really bonded a bit more then he did with anyone else. But the whole situation was a bit uncertain at the time, as far as me moving here, so we decided to let him stay with my mom and step-father. But that's ok, I know he was loved and cared for, now I got new doggies and kitties to love.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
ChristmasHeart (08-21-2010)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

deffenm has shown a merry dispositiondeffenm has shown a merry disposition
Mine was a gift my son, (he was 7 at the time) when he gave it to me. We have 3 wonderful children that we adopted. We adopted our first son when he was 2 and he is now 9. We adopted our other son when he was 7, now 10, and our daughter when she was 2 (now 6).

The kids all made me gifts from school so when I opened the gift from my oldest son I was expecting a homemade gift. What I didn't expect is what it was. The kids had to write what the best gift they ever got was and my son wrote "My new family is my best gift". I will always treasure that gift.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deffenm For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), ChristmasHeart (08-21-2010), jolly elf (08-21-2010), Snow-in-Texas (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Christmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnog
Originally Posted by deffenm View Post
my son wrote "My new family is my best gift". I will always treasure that gift.
As an adoptive mom myself, that brought tears to my eyes. How sweet! People often say about our children, "They are so lucky to have you." and I always have to reply that I am the one that is lucky to have them. They are gifts straight from God!

Anyway......continuing on with this thread.

My daughter is very crafty and a couple of years ago (she was probably about 7), she made me a homemade Christmas gift. She knows I love camping and she made me a 3d camping scene out of paper, cardboard, q-tips, etc....anything she could find. There was a tent with a couple sleeping bags in it, a camp fire (made from red/orange pipe cleaners), logs for paper people to sit on, etc. It was sooo cute and so creative. I LOVED that gift because she did it with me in mind. She spent her time and effort into making something purely based on something I love.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas24/7 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), ChristmasHeart (08-21-2010), jolly elf (08-21-2010), Snow-in-Texas (10-23-2009)
Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,590 Times in 748 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
I hope you don't mind that I resurrected this thread.

In July of 2005 I bought my first digital camera (which I recently had to replace b/c I couldn't find anymore memory cards for it!) and used various family members as "guinea pigs." Between Halloween and Thanksgiving I thought, I shouldn't be hogging these... and came up with an idea.

I made MANY copies of various pictures and bought A LOT of frames. Each person (Mom, Dad, 2 sisters, 3 cousins, Aunt, Uncle, and Nana) each got 3 pictures. My uncle's father got one BIG frame with many photos.

After we'd done our Not-So-Secret Santa exchange, I told everyone I had something to give them and I asked then 8 year old, Harry, to help me get the bags. I handed them out and waited for their reactions. As you would imagine, they all cried.

That's probably my favorite gift that I ever gave.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimothy For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), ChristmasHeart (08-21-2010), Snow-in-Texas (08-21-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,940 Times in 1,060 Posts
ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
Oh...what a lovely thread!

I have two...

The first one was many years ago. First I need to tell you...when my Grammie passed away when I was 13, the day she went to Heaven I wrote a poem in honour of her entitled, "My Grandmother Meant the World to Me". She was so very special to me - and to this day when I think of her I feel soooooooo much love and tears come to my eyes.

Fast forward a few years to when I was 18...I had two beautiful baby boys (Matthew was 1 at the time and Michael was 4 months old). It was Christmas morning and I opened a gift from my Mom. She had the poem I wrote engraved on a plaque with a note from my Mom saying this: "Your Grammie always thought that you were the one that's going to make it in life"! Well...I'm crying right now just thinking about that!

The second most heart-felt gift I received was, again, from my Mom just a couple of years ago. On Christmas Day when the family was all together, I openened one of the gifts from my Mom and it was a photo album of when my boys were babies!!! Well...I sat there a bawled my eyes out!!! I didn't have a camera back then so I didn't have any pictures of my dear sweet boys!

It goes to show you that the best things in life do not have a big price tag...and the BEST things in life are FREE!!! Like hugs.

As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is."
~ Eric Sevareid
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChristmasHeart For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), jolly elf (08-21-2010), made582 (08-21-2010), Snow-in-Texas (08-21-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Gig Harbor Elf

Isn't it amazing, the things we don't always know if our kids get, and then they do something like that and it hits us like a ton of bricks, they were really listening! Makes us thank God for them and count those blessings he sends us, especially in our kids!!!

Remember.... Everyday is Christmas, when you have Jesus in your life!

Thank him for that step daughter... What a gift she is!

Originally Posted by Snow-in-Texas View Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), ChristmasHeart (08-21-2010), Snow-in-Texas (08-21-2010)