Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » found this interesting article - make of it as you will

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,448
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,143)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Bells Christmas Before Christ
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:38 PM
59,837 Views  0 Posts
The Legend of Baboushka
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:56 PM
58,080 Views  0 Posts
Bells The Nativity Part III:...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:45 PM
79,142 Views  0 Posts
How does Santa get...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:49 PM
51,788 Views  0 Posts
It's a Wonderful Life...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:17 PM
52,117 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
found this interesting article - make of it as you will

http://news.peacefmonline.com/features/200912/34998.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelly ann For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (12-28-2011), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Oh yes, this is the common shallow view of Christmas. We see it differently.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-13-2010), Christmasstar (12-28-2011), JanaBanana (08-18-2010), made582 (08-14-2010), rodmonster (08-13-2010), sgrenoble (08-17-2010), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), Spyells (10-02-2011)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,448 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

For what it is or is not worth, I read the article via the link provided and, I don't want to offend anyone but to me, the article just completely MISSES the point of Christmas !! Perhaps Jesus was or was not born on December 25. We really do not know with certainty is what I have always been told though I have read many articles that discuss the view that He was born on that date as well. Commemorating His birth HAS always and WILL always be a HOLY DAY to me and for me. He IS the reason for the Season and December 25 is when I choose to welcome the Christ Child to this tired world. Saying Christmas is not a holy day and is purely pagan is a little short-sighted and really does not give the followers of Christ much credit for being able to discern truth from fiction. To me, we CHOOSE to celebrate Him on December 25 for a lot of reasons none of which have anything to do with the superfluous ones mentioned in the article.

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (08-20-2010), Christmasstar (12-28-2011), happyelf (09-29-2011), shellie12 (09-20-2011), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), Spyells (10-02-2011)
Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
I think what makes Christmas so wonderful is that it means something different to each of us. Christmas gives us all something unique and how we celebrate it doesn't really matter. I think it's wonderful that we all come together from all walks of life to enjoy one thing.....Christmas. Whether it involves religion or not, fake or real tree, ham or turkey...we are all here for wonderful Christmas.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-19-2010), Christmasstar (12-28-2011), happyelf (09-29-2011), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), Spyells (10-02-2011)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The thing about the article is that it is matter if true or not (I mostly agree with the article) What matters is that for what ever reason Christians chose to Celebrate Jesus Christ's birth on December 25.

I have seen things that said that July 4th was not truly the day that America declared it independence. That does not matter July 4th is the day we choose to celebrate.

The celebration is the important part. So for you "Jesus is the reason for the season" than keep it that way and be happy. Jesus wouldn't care about the accuracy of the date.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:27 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,111 Times in 3,695 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
like the date is the important thing....lol...those guys are always cracking me up...it´s the day we celebrate Jesus birth....partly cos nobody knows when it was...it´s an honoring of his name and we celebrate that our savior came into this world.....well...whatever...those artivles come out all the time, writing all the same...and they always act like they discovered something new

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-20-2010), Christmasstar (12-28-2011), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), Spyells (10-02-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Christmas Decoration Expert
Last Achievements

JeanetteDi has shown a merry disposition
I agree with a lot of what people are saying here. I mean, it's about our choice to celebrate or not. Whatever Christmas was originally based off of doesn't matter since society has turned it into a celebration for everyone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeanetteDi For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (12-28-2011), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), Spyells (10-02-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,232 Times in 12,639 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
The day on which Christ was born is not nearly as important as that He was born.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (12-28-2011), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,568 Times in 1,458 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmasstar View Post
The day on which Christ was born is not nearly as important as that He was born.
Perfectly put!!! I am a believer, I choose to honor December 25th his birth. I am not one to go shouting what I believe, nor do I like it when others push upon me their belief. Someone here who agreed with the article (Sorry poster I didn't take your name down!!!) said that America celebrates Independence day on July 4th of each year yet it is true that is not the day we declared our Independence, yet as Americans we agree that is the day we will honor. So I guess the real question is for yourself. I believe he was born unto this Earth and I honor that day as December 25th, as do may others. Now, if you celebrate Christmas for other reasons, say the traidions, for peace, of love, or whatever, I wouldn't begrudge them, come in the more the merrier I say. These articles I feel are only written to stick, I feel they are really only expressing their opinion. While I do understand that the date may not be entirely correct, I do know it happened and that is what I choose to believe. And that is it really do you believe or don't you.

I do believe. So this article really isn't teaching me anything I haven't already been told, it just is presenting this one individulas opinion. I do not not agree with everything written, in fact it has a tone of indifference, to me that is sad, believe or do not believe that is really all you need to know about yourself.
Christmasstar (05-30-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Christmas Decoration Expert
Last Achievements

JeanetteDi has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by rockchild View Post
I think what makes Christmas so wonderful is that it means something different to each of us. Christmas gives us all something unique and how we celebrate it doesn't really matter. I think it's wonderful that we all come together from all walks of life to enjoy one thing.....Christmas. Whether it involves religion or not, fake or real tree, ham or turkey...we are all here for wonderful Christmas.
Here, here!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeanetteDi For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-30-2012), elf bazaar (03-30-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)