Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Christmas Radio & Audio » Christmas Music On The Radio - August 2010

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Radio & Audio Discussions of Christmas on tape or disc, playing on the radio or uploaded here at MMC.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,086
Threads: 53,912
Top Poster: xmas365 (164,784)
Welcome to our newest member, CharlieTheElf

Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,249 Times in 2,294 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Christmas Music On The Radio - August 2010

KNOX, Santa 94.7 - Grand Forks, North Dakota USA

We’ve got another stunter! Grand Forks, North Dakota radio station KNOX is billing itself as Santa 94.7 FM . Their slogan is “Everything from Sting To Bing” and they are running an all Christmas format.

Street teamers in Santa costumes have been hired to hold signs at busy traffic intersections. The signs read “Will Ho for Listeners.”

If you live in the area, expect a format change soon. Why not go snap a few pics of the sign holders to share too!

Check ‘em out here. Don't miss the "Nice or Naughty" poll.

If you see fit to interact with KMOX via email or telephone, tell them you heard about them here!

< I’m sorry you are deployed, kgstyles and will; have to miss this! Thank you for your sacrifice! >

KDRW in Waco, Texas pulled the same stunt in June.

Last edited by RadioJonD; 08-25-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,483 Times in 1,761 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
This looks like a fun station - do you know if there is a way to listen to it online as there isn't anything that screams out "Listen Now" or words to that effect???
Old 08-24-2010, 04:54 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

No, I didn't find a listen link either. Looking at the playlist, I would say that every one of us has those tunes all on three to five CDs anyway.

Still, like you say, it would be fun to listen just to see how they are being "Christmasy" in August. Either the staff has to hate it or are having a blast with the theme.

Did you see the Dee Jay names? Looks like screen names for a Christmas forum to me!

Too bad kgstyles is deployed. He could record us a soundcheck of KMOX. Hummm, I may contact the station...
Old 08-25-2010, 03:02 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Twenty Santas helped introduced KNOX-FM's new format today (August 25, 2010). Santa 94.7 became Z94.7 this morning at 9:47 (get it?). Z94.7 will run a Current Hit Radio (CHR) format.

The new format coincdes with the first day of schools in the Grand Forks area.KNOX had been a Classic Rock Station.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...blisher_ID/40/

Last edited by RadioJonD; 08-25-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
It seems like it was a publicity stunt. It WAS christmas and now its switched to a top 40 hits station. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNOX-FM

Another article about it http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/4442093

I mean I know why they did it, but they lied about it being a 24-7 Christmas station which was kind of rude. It was just to boost their stations ratings.

I look forward to when someone finally creates a year round Christmas station.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

G.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by rockchild View Post
It seems like it was a publicity stunt. It WAS christmas and now its switched to a top 40 hits station. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNOX-FM

Another article about it http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/4442093

I mean I know why they did it, but they lied about it being a 24-7 Christmas station which was kind of rude. It was just to boost their stations ratings.

I look forward to when someone finally creates a year round Christmas station.
Rude indeed! I could go for a Christmas station right now. Its a little brisk out this morning, and now I'm jonesing for some Christmas tunes!
The Following User Says Thank You to G.Bailey For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 07:11 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

The more I read about the station format change, the whole idea was a well thought out and orchestrated project. Though radio stations often stunt with Christmas music preceeding a format change, especially during summer, KNOX took the step even further.

I would have loved to have been in Grand Forks to see the street team and twenty Santas in action! And I would have been recording soundchecks of the station as well. I do wish KNOX had streamed the short lived Christmas format.

Creating a web page and having folks out in the community promoting an all Christmas format may have given the alusion that the change was permanent. How anyone could have believed that the change was for real is beyond me.

Rather than being rude, I fell that stunt was fairly clever myself. The event took place as university and schools ruturned to class. That to me was giving students something for which to look forward. Ain't nothing better than a reminder of Christmas in summer and as classes start.

As rockchild said, the stunt stirred a lot of discussion and publicity for KNOX. After all, isn't that what they wanted? Look at us. We aren't even within listening range and we are talking about it! I guarantee that for every one who was for the all Christmas format, there were five that were dead set against it. I bet KNOX received more feedback of complaint than support from listeners who thought the stunt was for real (not many I hope).

In commercial broadcast radio, nothing is real anymore anyway. At least KNOX created a nice diversion for a short period. What remains to be seen is how the new CHR format will be received. In the long run, it's all about demographics and selling advertising. A Christmas format all year would never do that.

G.Bailey, that's why there are internet Christmas stations like our own Merry Christmas Radio! And, believe me, even that's a money loosing venture without the total Merry Network support structure and affiliation with Live365.

< Great article link, rockchild! >

Last edited by RadioJonD; 08-26-2010 at 07:13 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Adam (08-26-2010), xmas365 (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

From that article link you posted rockchild, KNOX operations manager Jarrod Thomas said, "The people are certainly ready for another option and they're ready for a new, exciting radio station," he said. "We're hoping to give that to them."

For me that ain't happened for about thirty-five years now! At least not over the air! There are plenty of internet stations, websites and shows to fill the void now.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
I totally agree jon! I think it was a fun thing to do, it was just odd that they created the website and made a whole illusion that it really was switching for good.

I am glad for my merry xmas radio and accuholidays.

I think that Siruis or Xm should have a holiday station. I think it could be somewhat like Martha Stewart radio:

They could do talk shows about decorating, food, celebrations (vday, st patricks day, easter/spring, summer etc etc).

They could have people call in and ask questions, give advice etc. People could call in with holiday stories, houses that have great decorations in certain areas etc.

They could play different holiday music all year for each season.

They could also do xmas in july or the 25th of every month can be xmas radio day accept during actual holiday months.

They could read the night before christmas in december, and spooky stories during october.

Alot could be done with a good number of people and brainstorming.