Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » A crowded house on Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,553)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Clement Clarke Moore:...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 02:58 PM
Last post by Jeff Westover
12-19-2011 11:09 AM
61,636 Views  2 Posts
Bells Luke Chapter 2: The...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:53 PM
79,447 Views  0 Posts
“Santa’s Surprise Party”...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:15 AM
62,984 Views  0 Posts
A Christmas Story (Movie...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:21 PM
60,545 Views  0 Posts
The Christmas Feast
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:24 PM
0 Posts

Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Silverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elf
bell A crowded house on Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so it has already been set in stone that my brothers and sisters plan on spending Thanksgiving at my house (I live w/my father and stepmother and its hard getting them out the house. So everyone has opted to come to them). The only thing is I am the 12th out of 13 children nevermind the fact that most of my siblings have children of their own. So to say that my house is going to be crowded is an understatment. I need some ideas on how to make this Thanksgiving go as smooth as possible. Its early September so I figured I start some of the planning now. Hopefully this will cut down on any possible disasters comming true. MMC family this is where you guys come in. Any ideas, suggestions, hints or recipes are greatly apperciated and very welcomed. Please Help!

Thanks a bunch,
Tamika aka Silverbells
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbells For This Useful Post:
Smiley21 (09-12-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

loksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnogloksi will NOT spit in your eggnog
Tamika, sounds like your going to have fun this T'giving! I mean that sincerely. While our immediate family wasn't nearly so large (several years back now) we still had everyone at our house and it was, to my wife and me, one of the best times ever. We're looking forward to hosting it again.
Could you tell us something about the size of your house/kitchen/eating or entertaining areas (hope I'm not being too nosy). Do you have room for overflow to a porch, outside (if weather permits)? Are you a scheduler? Could you perhaps enlist only one or two of your siblings to help with the cooking at your house (too many would be too crowded, so the others could bring their food with them); arrange for some of the neices/nephews to help set the dining areas and pitch in with the cleanup.
I'm sure many more from MMC will be coming to your aid - good luck! Blessings.
The Following User Says Thank You to loksi For This Useful Post:
Silverbells (09-09-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,022 Times in 3,683 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
wow, now that is big family...I am sure it will be a beautiful day, but You are right to start planning for it now....we don´t do thanks giving here, but I am sure You will get plenty of help from the people here

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Silverbells (09-09-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 03:00 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Move...without leaving a forwarding address.
Courtney (09-07-2010), Silverbells (09-09-2010), Smiley21 (09-12-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

TamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happy
Snowflake

Hi Tamika!
I think it's wonderful that you are doing this. Nothing like a big gathering for Thanksgiving. Well, lets see what I can suggest. Generally, my sister-in-law hosts our thanksgiving dinner. She has everyone bring a covered dish. She makes 2 turkeys, dressing and mashed potatoes. I take candied yams. My other sister-in-law brings mac & cheese. Someone brings green beans and so on. This way my sister-in-law who hosts, doesnt get stuck all day in the kitchen. After dinner we all help clean up. Nobody likes the cleanup part, but when you are doing it together, it's fun. You get to talk and enjoy each others company. Maybe you will find some of this useful. Just remember, its your holiday too. So don't overwhelm yourself. Let people help. Keep me posted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TamaraQT For This Useful Post:
Silverbells (09-09-2010), Smiley21 (09-12-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,467 Times in 910 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
BUFFET SET UP!!!

Consider using paper plates, plastic cups, paper napkins especially for the kids.

If anyone has an electric roasting pan, have them bring it. Its great for keep food warm. Invest in the buffet pans with the little wax warmers under neath to keep food warm. Crock pots are great for keeping mashed potatoes, veggies, stuffing, gravy hot. Have guests bring their crock pots as well.

I agree about having others bring a covered dish. Any dishes you have to make, make them ahead of time if possible.

Buy premade fresh veggie and fruit platters. Might cost a little more but well worth the time saved.

Coolers great for keeping drinks cold or to store ice for drinks or to keep items cold that will not fit in the frig.

Check with your local fire dept, church, civic center to see if you can rent tables and chairs from them for a fee. Most times this is cheapier then renting from a rental company.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
Ditto the buffet suggestion.

Also, make pies and/or cookie doughs etc. a few weeks or a month ahead of time and freeze them, so then they are out of the way.

Ask the guests to bring whatever beverage they prefer and/or to also bring their favorite side dish or dessert.

Use disposable aluminum pans for cooking and serving and also nice disposable dishes/silverware. Believe me, you will want the clean-up to be quick and easy when there are that many people in your house.

Good Luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Silverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elf
Thanks you guys

I've read all of your post so far and its very helpful. Just to give you guys an update. I live in the city (Philadelphia Pa.) so space is sort of limited. I was talking to one of my sisters yesterday and she said that she was going to come over that tuesday before Thanksgiving and spend the rest of the week at my house. So she my step-mother and I will be making the meats at my house. Three of my siblings won't be making it this year because this is the year that they will be spending Thanksgiving at their in-laws house (and they just so happen to be the three that have the most children) so this should loosen the crowd a little. My oldest brother has opted to bring Mac n chesse and the pies and so far thats all I have. I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions keep them comming!

Tamika aka Silverbells
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbells For This Useful Post:
Smiley21 (09-12-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Belly shakes like Jelly

Last Achievements

Steven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elf
Sounds like a crowd and a lot of work... Yet seems like a lot of fun! Having a big family is so fun!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Princess of Christmas =0)
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,093 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Oh my gosh that sounds like so much fun! Its just me and 1 brother and I miss sometimes having big family get togethers! Looks like everyone has been leaving some good ideas. I think its great if everyone brings a dish or two. That would make the cooking a lot easier. Also you could have a "kids" or "childrens" table. My Aunt used to do that when I was younger and we used to go over there for Thanksgiving. You could also do it in shifts if the space is really tight. Although I lilke to eat all at once!

There's no place like Home for the Holidays!