Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Xmas dinner dilemma!!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,157 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Xmas dinner dilemma!!

Im 30 years old and every Christmas dinner ive ever had has been cooked by my mum or/and my aunt. Ive never made one!! I know thats pretty pathetic considering my age but it just doesnt feel like Christmas if I stayed home and made dinner. Well this year my mother wants a break, (I dont blame her) and has suggested we have Christmas dinner in a restaurant!! (Shock horror!!!!!!!) Now to me that is not Christmas. Im a traditionalist and I like to be home at Christmas or at a family members house. But on top of that the meal is 25 per person!!!! Not sure what that is in Dollars. But pretty expensive considering everything else we have to buy for the holidays. So I suggested to help out and make/prepare some food for her but I dont know what she has decided yet. I hope she wont decide on the restaurant. What do you think? Am I being stupid? If she does decide to have dinner out I am not going and that wouldnt feel like Christmas then without the rest of the family!! Grrrrrr!!

Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,931 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Traditions are to be revered...and, like rules, sometimes broken. Where one tradition is lost another new one is born.

But don't give up yet. Do you have anyone else in the family you can partner with?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:55 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,292 Times in 28,884 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I agree that it wouldn't feel like christmas if I had to go out to a restaurant to eat. Are there any stores or restaurants around that sell a pre packed dinner that just has to be heated? Maybe if the meal was already cooked and just had to be heated your mom would decide to still have dinner at her house.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (09-13-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,724 Times in 3,787 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I do understand You...it´s always hard when traditions are broken or lets say changed...Jeff is right about that...but I also wouldn´t like the restaurant thing....plus the money is very much...I think 25 pounds is about 37 or 38 dollars...and that is quite an amount....for one person....I would try to get my mom into getting lots of help by You...."mama...u gon sit there and have Your drinks and tell me how to do it"...lol....I dont know...but I totally understand how u feelin

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (09-13-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,300 Times in 13,285 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
There are several options that you can maybe try.

If your family agrees, what about a pot luck dinner? We do this every year with my family and it is great. Everyone agrees to prepare one part of the meal and bring it for supper. Usually the person hosting does the turkey with everyone pitching in to pay for it. Makes a lot less work for everyone.

We rent a church basement or a hall for our dinner as we have over 30 people to seat. We like the church as it comes with many rooms and a gym to play in.[ We use one for games, one for movies, one for supper.] It works wonderfully.

Christmas dinner can be special no matter where you have it as long as those you love are there to share it with you.

Another option has already been mentioned, buy a premade dinner that only requires heating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (09-13-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
One word - Marks and Spencers!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, three words so sue me!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,300 Times in 13,285 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
One word - Marks and Spencers!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, three words so sue me!!!!!!!!!!
I thought they where a clothing store?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,061 Posts
ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
I think Christmasstar had a really good idea there...pot luck! And if everyone does that - and then everyone helps clean up after...that might do the trick.

I know what you mean about not wanting to go to a restaurant for Christmas dinner. I wouldn't like that either. I would still go thought because I couldn't bear to have a Christmas without my family.

I host Christmas dinner every year - and I cherish every single second of it! Actually - the last couple of Christmasses my Mom has brought the turkey which is a huge help to me. I make everything else - along with a cottage role or something of the sort.

Let us know how you make out!

As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is."
~ Eric Sevareid
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Christmasstar View Post
I thought they where a clothing store?
Back in the day, they used to be. Now they do everything from clothes to furniture to food.

The food is really good and at Christmas covers everything. By that I mean you can get all the ingredients and do it all yourself from scratch or, for those of us who cheat (Moi? Never! ) they have pre-prepared........everything (everything is a good all encompassing word!) I generally get the veg. and the pack with the stuffing, sausages and bacon.

When I was small and we were staying with some weird relatives (c'mon, everybody's got them!) we had Christmas dinner in an hotel. "Yeuch" just about describes it!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,322 Times in 4,540 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
My mom....almost in her 60's....has done the Christmas meal at our home since she was in her 20's....

A few years ago, she started getting tired of doing it to. She told the family that she needed some help because she just wasn't getting to enjoy the holiday because she was spending all her time in the kitchen. With me being the traditionalist I am, I knew if we didn't help out, then we would be doing something else and I didn't want it.

The first year, I cooked half of the meal. At the end of the meal, I kinda made a formal announcement that we were going to have to start helping out and at Thanksgiving we were going to draw names for Dirty Santa and be ready to tell what you want to bring. Worked out wonderfully. Just make an announcement that everyone is going to have to help and then talk about it at Thanksgiving. It will go over great!
The Following User Says Thank You to ballcoach For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (09-13-2010)