Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » How would you punish Potter?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,001
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,695)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Old 09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,699 Times in 6,004 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
How would you punish Potter?

We were discussing this over dinner this evening. Frank Capra is quoted as saying that of all the letters he got about his films, the most frequent question concerned the fact that in It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Potter never gets his just desserts for having stolen the misplaced $8,000. How would you have had him punished?

In my mind, I picture the end of the film. As the impromptu party at George Bailey's home is in full swing, Potter is passing outside, hoping to see George's ultimate ruin, but instead witnessing his redemption. He turns to the stooge who has been pushing his wheelchair throughout the film---but he isn't there. The stooge has left Potter to join the joyous party. The snow falls on Potter, abandoned on the sidewalk ...

What's your scenario?

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,501 Times in 9,289 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
We were discussing this over dinner this evening. Frank Capra is quoted as saying that of all the letters he got about his films, the most frequent question concerned the fact that in It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Potter never gets his just desserts for having stolen the misplaced $8,000. How would you have had him punished?

In my mind, I picture the end of the film. As the impromptu party at George Bailey's home is in full swing, Potter is passing outside, hoping to see George's ultimate ruin, but instead witnessing his redemption. He turns to the stooge who has been pushing his wheelchair throughout the film---but he isn't there. The stooge has left Potter to join the joyous party. The snow falls on Potter, abandoned on the sidewalk ...

What's your scenario?
Actually, in my opinon, he does get his just desserts. He is old. He is for all intents and purposes alone, no friends, no family who cares about him, just a miserable human being. I don't think doing anything further to him would have much of an impact as I think he is so removed and isolated that he wouldn't even notice. I think his ultimate punishment comes from his own behavior !!

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Meceka (09-25-2010), MerryCarey (09-25-2010), XmasDreams (09-27-2010)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 75,453 Times in 15,099 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I like Saturday Night Lives "Lost Ending" http://www.hulu.com/watch/4267/satur...fe-lost-ending
Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,003 Times in 9,615 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
Actually, in my opinon, he does get his just desserts. He is old. He is for all intents and purposes alone, no friends, no family who cares about him, just a miserable human being. I don't think doing anything further to him would have much of an impact as I think he is so removed and isolated that he wouldn't even notice. I think his ultimate punishment comes from his own behavior !!
Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
I like Saturday Night Lives "Lost Ending" http://www.hulu.com/watch/4267/satur...fe-lost-ending
I was just reading this thread topic out loud to my husband and actually mentioned to him exactly what you two posted! I was about to say what you were going to say Caninemom and post that video Xmas365! I love that skit Xmas365!!!!

To add further to what you said Caninemom, Potter wanted to take over the town as it was seen if George had never been born. Potter will never get that satisfaction due to the strong relationships George has in Bedford Falls.

If anything the ending was PERFECT. To me it shows that eventually Potter will lose it all! George will always have the love and support of the whole town.

As you mentioned MerryCarey, the revenge is sweet to think of as well. Especially what you mentioned and the skit Xmas365 posted.

This is my absolute favorite Christmas movie! The best story ever told and shows the true Christmas spirit. =)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-25-2010), MerryCarey (09-25-2010)
Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
or....

Capra filmed an alternate ending that was subsequently cut wherein Uncle Billy remembers misplacing the money in the newspaper when he unties a string, and Potter receives a "comeuppance".

A number of alternative endings were considered with Capra's first script having Bailey falling to his knees reciting The Lord's Prayer (the script also called for an opening scene with the townspeople in prayer). Recognizing that an overly religious tone did not have the emotional impact of the family and friends rushing to rescue George Bailey, the closing scenes were rewritten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Wonderful_Life
Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post

What's your scenario?
I figured it would end something like that only they ran out of room, I think a film over two hours wasn't as common then as it is today.

Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
For those outside the US who can't view that SNL clip, I found a link on youtube to share. The camera work isn't good, but you'll get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cydauwWSL_8

I always figured George won and Potter lost much in the way C-A-H shared. Still, it would have been to nice to see him squirm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (09-27-2010), xmas365 (09-26-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,787 Times in 1,185 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
As I see it, more than anything Potter wanted the saving and loan for himself or he wanted to see it go out of business, neither of which happened, so I guess that will always be what gnaws at him and makes him even more miserable. I guess this is what some of you already said, just worded a little different.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (09-27-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I think I would send 3 Christmas Ghost to visit Mr Potter..
MerryCarey (09-27-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,018 Times in 2,440 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I say boil him in his own pudding with a stake of holly in his heart...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (09-27-2010), XmasDreams (09-27-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,699 Times in 6,004 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
I think I would send 3 Christmas Ghost to visit Mr Potter..
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover
I say boil him in his own pudding with a stake of holly in his heart...
What the Dickens ... those seem to ring a bell somehow ... !

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!