Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Ideas For A Quintessential English Christmas...

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,086
Threads: 53,911
Top Poster: xmas365 (164,784)
Welcome to our newest member, CharlieTheElf

Old 09-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

DSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry disposition
Ideas For A Quintessential English Christmas...

This Christmas my girlfriend is going to be coming over on Christmas Day to spend Christmas with myself and my parents. She'll be staying the night and on Boxing Day my grandparents from my Mums side will be visiting also.

The reason why I'm asking for ideas is because it's always interesting to read about other people's Christmas experiences. I have some ideas, but there is no harm in canvassing other peoples thoughts about what makes a quintessential English Christmas. My girlfriend is Chinese and this is only her 2nd Christmas in the UK, last year she didn't celebrate Christmas in the traditional sense, but this year, she'll be with myself and I want to show her and celebrate with her a proper English Christmas.

Any ideas/thoughts etc are warmly received!!
The Following User Says Thank You to DSR147 For This Useful Post:

Old 09-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,481 Times in 1,761 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
I'll be interested in seeing the differences between a quintessential English Christmas and a quintessential Scottish Christmas (which is where I am) and a quintessential Welsh Christmas (which is where Kelly Ann is) and a quintessential Irish Christmas (which is where Irish Snow is).

Whichever, I'm sure your girlfriend will enjoy it, simply because you've made it special for her
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Last Achievements

DSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry disposition
I'm going to celebrate things normally as I would with my parents like any other year, so routines, celebrations, in-jokes etc will still be there. But I'm really gunning for a dose of the traditional traditional. Maybe I'll put a coin in a Christmas Pudding.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,420 Times in 13,304 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
How about a quintessential Canadian Christmas?
I have never even visited England (although it is on my bucket list!)

Here we have a lot of Dutch customs mixed in as my parents immigrated here in 1954.
We open our gifts on Christmas eve. Everyone goes to bed early on that night because, you never know what may happen that night!
Christmas morning they wake to find the house magically transfromed with snowflakes on the ceiling over the table. More gifts under the tree, stockings filled and a wonderful breakfast of homemade raisen bread, assortment of cold cuts and cheese, jams and jellies to enjoy before anyone can check out the rest of the gifts.
The rest of Christmas day is spent either going to visit friends, or having people drop in here. Sometimes it is spent just relaxing until supper, playing games or watching movies.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 AM
Last Achievements

Drawing Inspiration

Originally Posted by Christmasstar View Post
Christmas morning they wake to find the house magically transfromed with snowflakes on the ceiling over the table.
I like this idea alot, we do something similar with baubles on ribbon, but adding in some snowflakes sounds like a nice touch. I could create them ready and use the 'glass of water in the night' trick to go downstairs and put them up.
The Following User Says Thank You to DSR147 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-27-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

The Snowlady has shown a merry disposition
It depends whether you want a traditional English christmas experience (e.g. candlelight carols, old-fashioned decorations, music, and food, stockings), or a more modern quintessential English christmas experience like you would see on something like 'The Royal Family' (e.g. slightly tacky decorations, christmas tv programmes, and an awful lot of drinking). Both sound good to me May be you could recreate your christmas as a child (e.g. leaving gifts for santa, getting up at 4am, going out to listen for sleigh bells, or whatever else your family traditions were).

I'm sure you won't to go too far because I suppose it will all be unique for her any way. I think it's really lovely that you're eager to share your culture with your girlfriend though. Let us know what you plans x
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Merry Fourms Member

rukiafae has shown a merry disposition
well, I'm in the US, but my family is originally from england (great grandparents) so some stuff has hung on...

yorkshire pudding w/ xmas dinner
christmas crackers on the plate - everyone opens theirs before dinner and wears their 'crown' and tells their joke or whatever else is in there. In the US, Williams Sonoma has neat ones that we get each year

we may do other stuff that is british in nature, that I just dont realize, but those are the things off the top of my head. oh, we have popovers w/ butter and jam for breakfast, but I'm not sure if thats English or not
Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,157 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Ah right so I have no idea about the English part of the question as I am Welsh haha But joking aside, in my part of the world Christmas is all about family.
You can do the traditional Christmas, but you may ask what is 'tradition'...we all have our own take on it and some maybe handed down through the years or each year a new tradition is born.

Christmas Eve I usually stay home with the kids, we have a small party and my parents may visit. We indulge in Christmas films and chocolate! Christmas Day we go over my parents about midday and stay there until early evening. We all just basically have a good time and see how things pan out...there are no rules, no rituals etc LOL I say stop fretting and try not to 'plan' too much...do what you usually do and enjoy the festive season!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Snowstorm

Coins in the Christmas pudding are great. The traditional silver sixpence would be good and last time I looked, they weren't that expensive to buy. And don't forget the mince pies and glass of milk for Santa and the carrots for Rudolph and Co. Also, the distant ringing of a bell to announce Santa's arrival if there are youngsters about. And games on Christmas afternoon are a must! Not Monopoly though if you want to remain friends!