Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » How Do You Plan Christmas?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

DSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry disposition
star How Do You Plan Christmas?

How do you plan Christmas?

Do you make notes as you go along, or do you leave it all in your head and just make mental notes?
Do you organise your notes and if so, how?
Do you set aside a specific time?
Do you have any planning rituals or things you do to get you in the planning mood?

I'd be interested to read on how we all vary in this area. I myself tend to organise notes into specific folders, catergories and even colour code stuff. I usually like to set aside good chunks of the day to plan, especially in the mornings. I tend to get up early, have a good breakfast and get down prompt with my notepads, folders and pens, Christmas music on the stereo behind me and plan away to my hearts content.

Let me know how you do it!!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 AM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,482 Times in 9,271 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

For me, celebrating Christmas is a sequence of events or traditions that occur every year !!. I begin by putting out my nativity scene usually the first week in November. I then put up my tree on Thanksgiving Day and we have been going out shopping on Black Friday but am not sure about this year !! Very early in December it is my sister's birthday so I go to her house and we celebrate her birthday and put up her tree at the same time !! Everything else just kind of (Hopefully) falls into place from there !

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,269 Times in 5,920 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
There's a Christmas Planners group on this forum, led by Gingerbug, that you might be interested in joining to share some of your tips.

I keep a binder that has a list of everyone we usually give to or exchange with, with space under each name to fill in suggested gifts. I also try to keep lists of what we actually gave people in previous years, so we don't repeat a gift. We buy gifts throughout the year---if we see something that suits someone on our list, we go ahead and buy it and keep it in our "gift stash." About this time of year we pull out the gift stash and fill out the shopping list so we know who we still need to buy for. We try to buy the remaining gifts in October and November because parking at the local malls becomes impossible throughout the traditional shopping season.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,641 Times in 584 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
I keep a running list on the computer of people I buy gifts for and my Christmas card address list. On December 26, I erase what I bought that year, and start fresh. I try to keep an ear open throughout the year & listen to what people say they would like to have and get that when I have the opportunity. I keep a Christmas bin in the garage to hold gifts. DD starts making her wish list after her birthday in June, so I've already done Santa's shopping for her this year. I usually get clothing for nieces & nephew. Shopping for parents is harder, then there are stocking stuffers that we draw names for. I usually address Christmas cards in October, wrap gifts on Veteran's Day, put the tree up the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Christmas Eve has become a time for me, DH & DD to spend together, preparing our house for Santa's arrival on Christmas morning & making cookies. Christmas morning is spent with DH's family & Christmas night with my family. We get a short break at home on Christmas afternoon. I am an organized person by nature, but I try not to make things harder than they need to be.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,467 Times in 1,753 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Yeah......well...........I'm pretty much a "fly by the seat of your pants" kinda girl!!!

I think being too organised takes some of the fun out of it - at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,187 Times in 365 Posts
frostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We don't plan a lot, most of it just happens.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

DSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Yeah......well...........I'm pretty much a "fly by the seat of your pants" kinda girl!!!

I think being too organised takes some of the fun out of it - at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
I plan in some detail, but make sure things flow on the day. I don't want it to be regimented.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,151 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
I write a lot of things down,kinda like a check list/guideline..Sometimes things pop in my head and I write it down asap.

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
Old 10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We always get the Christmas tree the day or weekend after Thanksgiving. We have been doing this since our kids were very small and now we have 2 teens and an 11 year old. Also, in the 2 weeks prior we will have a weekend where we make cookies and give some to neighbors. As well, my husband and sons put the lights on the house Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
OH! I"m getting so excited about the holidays after reading everyone's posts about getting organized! I'm a very orgainzed person, and thankfully so,otherwise i don't know what would happen if i let my husband plan it ll! Anyway, as I buy christmas gifts, I make a list and keep it in an envelope along with all receipts from my purchases. I always stock up on holiday wrapping paper, gift tags, and chrsitmas cards. The middle of November, we bring out all our christmas totes, and put them in our deck room. The day after Thanksgiving, i get busy early in the morning decorating my house. Sometimes we get anxious and put the tree up a few days before thanksgiving, otherwise we wait until the weekend after thanksgiving to put it up. In December, i bake christmas cookies and freeze them, taking them out a few days befoe christmas for us to enjoy.