Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » Best Christmas Tree Lights - Where?

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,554)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Xtree1 Saying No to Black Friday
By MMC Editor
10-19-2011 07:05 AM
Last post by sprinkleshouse
07-28-2013 02:25 PM
52,896 Views  5 Posts
santahat The True Story of Santa...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:59 PM
0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2008
By MMC Editor
06-11-2008 11:14 PM
39,987 Views  0 Posts
Mostly Homemade (and...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2011 03:31 PM
46,004 Views  0 Posts
The Nativity Story...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:49 PM
Last post by caninemomssister
12-01-2013 06:14 PM
53,855 Views  1 Posts

Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

Clark Griswold has shown a merry disposition
tree Best Christmas Tree Lights - Where?

I am hoping the great minds here can help me. Every year we do a white light Christmas tree. This year, we are thinking of going vintage. We want colored mini lights and c7 solid lights. Problem is, where do we find quality lights?

I ask this because we have a set of GE or Sylvania colored lights, white cord around the fireplace. We left them up since Christmas last year because believe it or not, it looks good! We get many compliments. The issue - even before Christmas was over, the lights were burning out. The string now has about 15 lights burnt out. That's terrible. I think it might have something to do with them being "lower wattage" or whatever? I don't know.

We just want some really nice lights. Lights that will last quite a few years and not end up as land fill because they are cheap POS! I know some understand my frustrations.

Lastly, what is the "normal" color combination of lights? Some sets have..

- red, blue, green, purple, orange
- red, blue, green, purple, orange, teal
- red, blue, green, purple, orange, yellow

What's the scoop on that? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

Clark Griswold has shown a merry disposition
Also - LED lights are OUT OF THE QUESTION! I hate them and only want traditional lights. Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,262 Times in 5,590 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Maybe commercial-grade light sets are what you're looking for:

Commericial-Grade Miniature Lights

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Christmas Decoration Expert
Last Achievements

JeanetteDi has shown a merry disposition
C7 Christmas Lights in Depth

C7 Christmas bulbs do make a great vintage look that a lot of people like, but if you are choosing to leave your lights up all year, you will experience bulb burnout. Incandescent bulbs only have a total life expectancy of 3,000 hours, as opposed to LED bulbs which can last up to 200,000 hours. LEDs also do not break, so you would have that in your favor.

If you are choosing to stick with incandescent bulbs because of the colors they give off, then your best bet is to spend a few extra dollars and purchase the strings and bulbs separately, and consider purchasing an additional 1-2 boxes of bulbs to ensure that when bulbs do burn out, you have replacements of the same paint color. Different grades of bulbs offer different levels of color, with the cheaper bulbs only being dipped once or twice, and higher grade bulbs having been triple dipped in paint. You also want to replace bad bulbs immediately, or a cascading effect may begin, which causes good bulbs to burn out faster.

As far as the multicolor bulbs, purple is not a common color used in multicolor arrangements. Multicolor Christmas C7 and C9 bulbs are typically either:
  • Red, Blue, Green, Orange (Amber), Yellow (Gold)
  • Red, Blue, Green, Orange (Amber), White

I hope this helps!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Jeanette,

You'd be just the person to ask about this: are C7 and other traditional incandescent Christmas lights going away? They seem to be getting harder to find -- and more expensive, too.

There is something about the quality of LED lights that bug me. I'm finding the switch difficult to make.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Jeanette,

You'd be just the person to ask about this: are C7 and other traditional incandescent Christmas lights going away? They seem to be getting harder to find -- and more expensive, too.

There is something about the quality of LED lights that bug me. I'm finding the switch difficult to make.

Jeff
I second this. I love the idea that LEDs have a much longer bulb life and use much less electricity, but they don't look right to me ... compared with incandescent mini-lights, the colors look wrong, and the light seems harsh. Can you recommend any LEDs that are closest to the look of minis?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Had enough snow, thanks.
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,747 Times in 1,082 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
I have to agree with MerryCarey and Jeff; LED lights are just not the same. They vibrate, or something....it's an odd looking thing, and hard to describe. We had them on the tree one year and gave them away before the next Christmas. I'd rather keep replacing bulbs on the regular type lights.

We can still find lots and lots of normal lights at Wal-Mart and Target, by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryBells For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (09-09-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Last Achievements

Making the Switch

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Jeanette,

Jeff
No, C7 and other traditional incandescent lights are not going away - they are still quite popular. I am not sure why many of the big box stores have stopped offering them, but they are definitely still available online. The price should not be increasing due to lack of availability.

A lot of people feel the same as you. However, in my industry, it is impossible for me not to switch to LED lights for outdoor use, because I am too aware of the benefits. I am also clumsy, so I like that LEDs are unbreakable. But I still use incandescent Christmas lights indoors, and don't see that changing any time soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeanetteDi For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (09-14-2011), One Spoiled Brat (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I second this. I love the idea that LEDs have a much longer bulb life and use much less electricity, but they don't look right to me ... compared with incandescent mini-lights, the colors look wrong, and the light seems harsh. Can you recommend any LEDs that are closest to the look of minis?
I will always recommend the LED lights at ChristmsLightsEtc, because I know first hand what goes into the purchasing process and the QC. But this is what I have learned:
  • Prelamped strings are typically not as bright as bulbs and strings sold separately. Bulbs purchased separately will usually offer more diodes for a brighter light.
  • Whites need to be purchased carefully. Many value LEDs have the most awful whites available. White is also one of the most expensive LED bulb colors.
I personally love the hue of colored LEDs, so it is difficult for me to comment otherwise. The bulbs are plastic, so the color lasts, instead of fading and cracking away like painted incandescents.
I have seen LEDs in glass bulbs before, but they didn't seem to make the cut. I imagine they may have to eventually, since so many people like the look of traditional lights. I like incandescent lights indoors, but love LED lights outdoors. I imagine if I switch to LED lights on the Christmas tree, my indoors will change as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeanetteDi For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (09-14-2011), One Spoiled Brat (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

light

Originally Posted by JeanetteDi View Post
No, C7 and other traditional incandescent lights are not going away - they are still quite popular. I am not sure why many of the big box stores have stopped offering them, but they are definitely still available online. The price should not be increasing due to lack of availability.

A lot of people feel the same as you. However, in my industry, it is impossible for me not to switch to LED lights for outdoor use, because I am too aware of the benefits. I am also clumsy, so I like that LEDs are unbreakable. But I still use incandescent Christmas lights indoors, and don't see that changing any time soon.
Originally Posted by JeanetteDi View Post
I will always recommend the LED lights at ChristmsLightsEtc, because I know first hand what goes into the purchasing process and the QC. But this is what I have learned:
  • Prelamped strings are typically not as bright as bulbs and strings sold separately. Bulbs purchased separately will usually offer more diodes for a brighter light.
  • Whites need to be purchased carefully. Many value LEDs have the most awful whites available. White is also one of the most expensive LED bulb colors.
I personally love the hue of colored LEDs, so it is difficult for me to comment otherwise. The bulbs are plastic, so the color lasts, instead of fading and cracking away like painted incandescents.
I have seen LEDs in glass bulbs before, but they didn't seem to make the cut. I imagine they may have to eventually, since so many people like the look of traditional lights. I like incandescent lights indoors, but love LED lights outdoors. I imagine if I switch to LED lights on the Christmas tree, my indoors will change as well.
Thanks for the good news about incandescent lights, and for your good advice on LEDs. Until the LED color palette more closely resembles incandescent mini-lights, I'll be sticking to mini-lights. (I haven't had many problems with colors fading or cracking on mini-lights.) There's something about the color palette of LEDs that makes some bulbs look brighter than others to me (lumen-wise), so the light strings look uneven to me. Just another sign of age, I guess!

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-17-2011)