Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » A question for you parents...

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,444
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,043)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
star Charlie Brown Heads to...
By Jeff Westover
10-10-2012 10:09 PM
27,708 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Grandpa's Christmas Tree...
By MMC Editor
11-19-2011 10:56 PM
Last post by Stnicholas01
01-09-2014 01:35 PM
3 Posts
Christmas Poems from...
By MerryCarey
05-15-2012 03:09 PM
43,471 Views  0 Posts
"A Christmas White...
By MerryCarey
11-11-2011 07:26 AM
57,926 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Questions for...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:08 PM
54,645 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
A question for you parents...

My little rambunctious little boy is a very active 17 month old who runs, plays and destroys. He gets into EVERYTHING. This year, we're concerned that he may end up destroying our Christmas tree with his obvious fascination with pretty things and lights. So for you parents out there...is there anything I can do to deter him from attempting to tear up our tree? There's no place in the house I can put the tree so that it will be "away" from him.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:06 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Good luck!

For years we lived with a half-decorated tree. The top half was always perfect, the bottom was constantly rearranged. One year, when my middle child was about his age, we actually put one of those plastic containment pens around the tree (you know the kind, the one you usually put the kid into).

It is constant work.

BUT! There is nothing like an 18-month on on Christmas morning....
Old 11-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Im going to have the same problem with my boy
Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 AM
Princess of Christmas =0)
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,093 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I have a 3 1/2 year old monster haha and a 14 month old one that is worse I think lol. When my oldest Son was younger we put a baby gate that went into the shape of a circle either around the tree or opened the gate to make it really long and to block off 1/2 the room so he couldnt get to the tree unless we allowed him to. It was still a lot of work. Also I still dont put any of my breakable or sharp onaments on my tree. I will wait until they are both at least 4 or 5 years old. I dont want to take a chance in one of them getting hurt or one of my favorite ornaments getting broken. Good luck! We also have a new dog this year that Im a little worried he may be afraid of the tree or being almost 80 lbs may knock it down or eat it? LOL

There's no place like Home for the Holidays!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Originally Posted by MsChristmas View Post
I have a 3 1/2 year old monster haha and a 14 month old one that is worse I think lol. When my oldest Son was younger we put a baby gate that went into the shape of a circle either around the tree or opened the gate to make it really long and to block off 1/2 the room so he couldnt get to the tree unless we allowed him to. It was still a lot of work. Also I still dont put any of my breakable or sharp onaments on my tree. I will wait until they are both at least 4 or 5 years old. I dont want to take a chance in one of them getting hurt or one of my favorite ornaments getting broken. Good luck! We also have a new dog this year that Im a little worried he may be afraid of the tree or being almost 80 lbs may knock it down or eat it? LOL
Looks like you will have a lot of work to do this Christmas hahaha
Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I agree with the half decorated tree. When our kids were small we just put ornaments at the bottom that we weren't concerned with having being pulled off. We also bought a smaller tree when our 1st was born and put it on a tabletop..our other 2 didn't mess with the trees much.Probably another thing that you may consider is him pulling the tree over!Consider putting something more to stabilize the stand.Good luck!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

TamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happy
LOL !!! Oh the joys of parenthood !! Personally, I love the "rearranged tree" after a toddler gets a hold of it. But, I think Jeffs idea is a good one. Put up a baby gate around it. Depending on the width of your tree, sometimes a decorative fireplace screens work too. But more than likely, the baby gate will be the best bet. My 4 year old daughter got a kick out of taking off the ornaments and placing them somewhere else on the tree. That year, I only had plastic ornaments within her reach. It's quite an experience with a toddler and a tree in the home. He may surprise you and not bother it at all. I know it's a long shot, but you never know until you put the tree up. But, if he does decide to "redecorate" the tree, take plenty of pictures of how the tree "transforms" during the holiday season. Have fun with him and the transforming tree, LOL !!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,109 Times in 3,695 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have a very active 4 year old...the only year she was not doing anything with the tree was the first....ever since she played with the ornaments...and some broke...butafter some time she understood they are not to play with...I just constantly told her....didn´t put anything around the tree to keep her from it...don´t really have any advice...just keep him insight...lol.....those ornaments are seductive I guess...lol

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,788 Times in 1,618 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
We got a smaller tree and put it on a table the past 2 years... but I am pretty fortunate.. my 2.5 year old has always been pretty good about doing what I say. I did have a bit of rearranging going on but I think it's kind of sweet! I put all of the precious ornaments up top of just kept them boxed until the kids are older/
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

lmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I have 2 daughters and while my oldest (4.5) will leave the tree alone (she was easy to teach that we only touch the ornaments when putting them on the tree and to look with her eyes, not her hands), my youngest is 2.5 and is learning the rules a little slower; she is just so curious. lol. So we put their ornaments and the ones that will not break on the bottom part of the tree and the more fragile ones will go up out of her reach.

Merry Christmas! Liz