Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » What Size Turkey?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,081
Threads: 53,857
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,291)
Welcome to our newest member, Blitz

Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,115 Times in 690 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
What Size Turkey?

It seems like our turkey gets bigger every year. I bought a 24lb this year, but I think I should have sprung for the 25lber though. What size turkey do you usually cook for Thanksgiving? What size are you going for this year?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
don't want it too big
last year we got a 26lb bird & it was fatty
First time I have ever had a fatty turkey
Courtney (11-14-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
Wow! That is very strange since turkeys rarely have any fat on them.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

TamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happy
I usually buy between 12 to 14 pound turkey. This year, I went for a 16 pound. Bigger than usual for me considering there are only about 6 of us for dinner.
The Following User Says Thank You to TamaraQT For This Useful Post:
Courtney (11-15-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,932 Times in 2,418 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
We have 9 of us so we usually shoot for a 20-25lb bird. We like the leftovers too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Courtney (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
is waiting for Fall
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,823 Times in 1,097 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
At least 20 pounds. We like turkey soup and turkey sandwiches.
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryBells For This Useful Post:
Courtney (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,641 Times in 584 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
I've never cooked a turkey! I'll be one of those crazy people calling the Butterball help line on Thanksgiving morning one of these years!!
The Following User Says Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
Courtney (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
It seems like our turkey gets bigger every year. I bought a 24lb this year, but I think I should have sprung for the 25lber though. What size turkey do you usually cook for Thanksgiving? What size are you going for this year?
wow... how long the Bird has to stay in the Stove?

We mostly have a 13lb one and he needs about 7 hours..
Courtney (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

I use my electric roaster which holds a 20lber, so it has to cook a little longer since the turkey is larger. It should take 4 to 4.5 hours, but I will probably let it go for closer to 5 to 5.5 hrs.

I like to use the Butterball website for turkey help.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,690 Times in 3,656 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We are doing (2) 12-14 lb turkeys this year instead of 1 big one. My sister who is hosting the party says the bigger birds tend to be dryer?? My Dad & Mom have always made the turkey so they are planning to do the same this year!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Courtney (11-15-2010), GingerMel (11-16-2010)