Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,225
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,420)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 11-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,158 Times in 715 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
tree A new tradition

For the last couple of years I have let me daughter pick out/buy one special ornament to put on the tree. This year I will get my son to pick one too. I think this will be a regular thing from now on and hope they will carry it on when they are older.
Does anyone else do this?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kelly ann For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-04-2011), GingerMel (09-27-2011), Noel (09-15-2011), Seawaters (11-22-2010)

Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 AM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,155 Times in 819 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
No.But It's a great Idea. I keep all their school ornaments they've made and they go on the tree.

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-04-2011), Seawaters (02-10-2011)
Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

jimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
candle

Awesome idea! My wife and I collected ornaments when we used to travel, and we bought the Baby's First, 2nd, 3rd, etc. ornaments, but we haven't done what you've done.

Here's another nifty idea. I've a friend who buys one ornament for each of her girls, each year. Each year's ornament represents who they are at that time; she selects something that identifies their dominant interest, accomplishment, or a budding personality trait that blossomed during the year. I think that's a wonderful idea, too.

It's true what they say--life is what you make of it. Turns out that applies to holidays, too.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jimmyolsen For This Useful Post:
Blue Christmas (02-04-2011), caninemom3 (07-14-2011), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), kelly ann (11-28-2010), Noel (09-15-2011), Seawaters (02-10-2011), trackrebel (07-13-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 81,066 Times in 13,425 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by kelly ann View Post
For the last couple of years I have let me daughter pick out/buy one special ornament to put on the tree. This year I will get my son to pick one too. I think this will be a regular thing from now on and hope they will carry it on when they are older.
Does anyone else do this?
I have done that since my kids first Christmas's. Every year they go through the box and remember special things about their ornaments!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,651 Times in 585 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
DD gets Hallmark ornaments from both grandmothers every year.

Mom got the "1st Christmas, 2nd Christmas, etc" until she got through the 5th Christmas. Now she let's DD pick an ornament, but only one approved by "Grammy". Last year, DD really wanted a Star Wars ornament, but my mom wouldn't have it & steered her towards Tiana from Princess & the Frog.

MIL gets DD the "Granddaughter" ornament every year. MIL also has a collection of ornaments at her house with each grandchilds name on several ornaments.

DD also has extra ornaments given to her by other family & friends (Elmo, Cabbage Patch, UT cheerleading bear) as well as all the ornaments she made at daycare & the annual "thumbprint" ornament she makes for me at Fantasy of Trees. I have her thumbprints from 6 months old to 5.5 years now.

DD will never have to buy an ornament when she leaves home. She could decorate several trees with what MIL has collected over the past five years for her!
The Following User Says Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-29-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I don't have kids however every year I buy 1 or 2 ornaments for my GF. They are something that have some sort of meaning to either to us or to her. It is a fun tradition because she always tries to figure what direction I am going to go with it. She is never right.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

One Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnog
My boys get a ornament each year, when they leave home they will have their little collection to start their own tree....If I can part with them....Smiles

Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,937 Times in 9,773 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have done that every year and still do that with my grandchildren. It really makes a tree full of memories!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,941 Times in 3,823 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
i love the idea and will start it this year with kandice

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

Old 08-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,065 Times in 613 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
We bought our children their own ornament every Christmas, then when they got married they had ornaments to start their own Christmas celebration. My daughter does this with her children, so I guess the tradition continues.