Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » Asking, what do you want for Christmas?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,225
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,350)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Asking, what do you want for Christmas?

Question to my fellow Christmas friends here.

Do any of you ask your children, teens, young adults, adults, grandchildren etc - "What Do You Want For Christmas?"

Afew years ago I came into my inlaws family and was shocked to find they don't ask what eachother wants for Christmas.

At my parents, my family always asked for ideas on what eachother wants for Christmas. Of course SOME things are left up to figure out on your own, a few surprise gifts or something you know the person wants and doesn't know about.

But, my "mother inlaw" always wondered why the family members seemed "slightly unhappy" with gifts they recieved. She doesn't know her own family members very well, nor did they like Christmas much with her until she started asking "What would you like?" and "What are your interests?"

Now that she knows, her gift giving has changed! I know it is the thought that counts, but what happens if the gift "just isn't you?" Re-gift?

What do you do in your home with gifts? Do you "shoot in the dark" when it comes to gifts? Do you also figure out gifts your friends and family might like? Do you ask them? What I do personally, throughout the year, is keep tabs on what each person talks about, things they point out, things they like etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (05-24-2011)

Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,971 Times in 1,658 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
I am a big baker so most of the gifts I give to family and friends are cookies, muffins, and homemade candy, but when it comes to kids - we ALWAYS ask! I was just thinking today about how my then not-quite-3-year-old asked for "yellow trains" last Christmas. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the heck he meant... luckily, I have a fellow mom friend who realized he meant 2 characters (twin trains?? Who knew!) from Thomas the Tank Engine. He was so thrilled that Santa brought the one thing he asked for!

But yes, we've always asked and always BEEN asked by parents, which is nice, even as adults!!

I have many "not me" gifts that just get sent to he basement to die a slow, painful death..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (05-24-2011), Spyells (10-03-2012)
Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by judesmama View Post
I am a big baker so most of the gifts I give to family and friends are cookies, muffins, and homemade candy, but when it comes to kids - we ALWAYS ask! I was just thinking today about how my then not-quite-3-year-old asked for "yellow trains" last Christmas. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the heck he meant... luckily, I have a fellow mom friend who realized he meant 2 characters (twin trains?? Who knew!) from Thomas the Tank Engine. He was so thrilled that Santa brought the one thing he asked for!

But yes, we've always asked and always BEEN asked by parents, which is nice, even as adults!!

I have many "not me" gifts that just get sent to he basement to die a slow, painful death..

Aww, that is very sweet! "Slow, painful death" LOL. My next question is "when is goodwill day?" See ya "not me" gifts lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,140 Times in 15,255 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Can I answer yes & no?

In my house we all ask what each other what we want, I usually have my list mad out and given to my wife by November. She usually gets hers to me by Black Friday. (I usually know what to look for her though) With the kids what we do is save the Sunday paper ads for Kmart, Walmart, ToysRUs, etc... and then we give them to the boys let them cut out the things they like and then let them glue it on to some paper. Then we select the lists and give a page to grandparents aunts uncles. The kids lists made by the kids even though they don't know how to write. The extended family we do ask but for the most part we choose "safe" gifts, for my grandma it was my tradition to give her a collectible Possible Dreams Santa Claus, I did that for her for more than a decade, Dad-something to do with his favorite sports team, or Omaha steaks. Stuff like that
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,937 Times in 9,773 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by rockchild View Post
What I do personally, throughout the year, is keep tabs on what each person talks about, things they point out, things they like etc.
This is what I do. I don't ask what they want but pay attention to the things they talk about through the year. Then I get the reaction of "how did you know"? I was listening!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Adam (05-17-2011), Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (05-24-2011), MsChristmas (06-01-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
This is what I do. I don't ask what they want but pay attention to the things they talk about through the year. Then I get the reaction of "how did you know"? I was listening!
Exactly!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (05-18-2011), Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (05-24-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,651 Times in 585 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
Adult family members: I pay attention to things they say they'd like to have. Sometimes I just buy ahead & have birthday, Mother's Day, & Father's Day presents bought ahead of time too!

My MIL always tells me things she or FIL need/want & sometimes months ahead of time. She knows I'm a planner! I just gave her something for Mothers Day that I've had since Veteran's Day that she admired in a store when we were shopping! She always wants a list from us, especially now that we have DD. I keep a list on the computer year round & give it to her around Thanksgiving. She takes grandchildren to Wal-Mart or K-Mart to the toy section. They show her everything they want and she makes notes. Later she goes back and picks out a few things they wanted. We get little surprises too, so we don't know everything we're getting!

Child family members: Sorry, you are getting clothes unless your mom says otherwise! I just ask the parent's what size. Now the kids are getting older & like certain brands, so I either buy from that store or give a gift card for that store.

Other gifts: I just pick something I think they would like. I don't mind if they re-gift, because I sometimes re-gift too!

DH refuses to tell somebody what he wants unless he REALLY wants it. He said "It's the thought that counts, so I shouldn't have to tell you what I want." However, he is the one who is never excited at Christmas and sometimes never uses something he got because he doesn't like it. I never know what to get DH because if he wants something, he usually just goes and buys it himself. Last year I really paid attention & he had more gifts under the tree than DD did! He was really surprised and seemed to love it all! I wish I could do that well every year. Bless him, he usually buys me things that he would like to have...I guess it really IS the thought that counts!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,021 Times in 940 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
I do ask my kids, now ages 29,25,24, what they want, but I always try to have a couple of surprises as well and the "wow" gift. The wow gift is the one that they put on the list, probably never thinking it would be there, but Santa always finds a way!
This year, I am thinking of maybe getting each child one major gift, like an Apple IPAD thing, (can you tell I'm not really that tech savvy?).
But, we'll see, love the look of the piles of gifts under the tree!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 02:49 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 164,043 Times in 31,310 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We have always made lists so everyone knows what to get each other. We also pay attention to what people talk about through out the year so we can get each other some things that weren't asked for.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (05-21-2011), Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (05-24-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I ask for interest not what do you want. I hate for people to have an idea what I got them. I love the surprise. I am known for getting people just the right presents. I am also known for going overboard.