Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Looking after the elderly in winter months

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,847
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,157 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
light Looking after the elderly in winter months

This always upsets me to hear that every winter many old folk die due to the cold. Many are afraid to turn their heating on for fear they wont be able to pay the bill. As the winters seem to be getting colder every year I just want people to be aware of the elderly folk in your neighbourhood. In the UK, people over 60 can claim a winter fuel payment to help with the bills. Make sure they know this. They have no reason to sit in the cold.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kelly ann For This Useful Post:
ClaireLovesChristmas (11-29-2010), JOHNOR (12-07-2010), One Spoiled Brat (12-05-2010), whitney37354 (11-29-2010)

Old 11-26-2010, 04:42 AM
kerstig

I totally agree with you! I volunteer in an organization that helps older people to be able to live on their own, even as they reach a great age. What I think is really important is helping get groceries! As it gets snowy, icy or slippery, the people I take care of don't dare to go out getting food! this makes them very week, and in cold winters, way more people die then in warmer days...
I think it would be good to look after old people around you, maybe small things like asking if you could bring anything from the store as you are going there, make children get food for them for a christmas good deed, or invite them to participate in things, for they can get really lonely locked in by the cold...

thank you kelly ann for raising this problem! Here in Holland there's also a great lot of old people unable to get to the winters alone!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Memaw_Elf is a good elfMemaw_Elf is a good elfMemaw_Elf is a good elfMemaw_Elf is a good elfMemaw_Elf is a good elfMemaw_Elf is a good elf
This is so very true! I take care of my Mom. she lives in a home on the street behind us. Everyday I check to see if the heater is on, stove is off, turn on lights and make sure she has a warm full meal to eat. It is a blessing to be her daughter!
The Following User Says Thank You to Memaw_Elf For This Useful Post: