Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Does anyone have a Kindle?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,853
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,690 Times in 3,656 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
some libraries "lend" digital copies of books, but they are not compatible with the Kindle. The Kindle doesn't read the ePub format.
Copied & pasted from Amazon:

Kindle Library Lending
Later this year, Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from more than 11,000 libraries in the United States through the new Kindle Library Lending feature.

When Kindle Library Lending is launched, you will be able to check out a Kindle book from your local library and start reading on any Kindle device or free Kindle app for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone. Kindle Library Lending will provide the same unique features as Kindle and Kindle books, including the ability to read on any Kindle or free Kindle app, Whispersync technology that synchronizes your notes, highlights and last page read, real page numbers, and more. After a library book expires, if you ever decide to check it out again or purchase it from Amazon, all of your annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

You'll be able to borrow Kindle library books from any of the more than 11,000 libraries that work with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content solutions for libraries.

Availability of books and length of loan will vary by library. Kindle Library Lending will only be available for U.S. customers at launch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Christmas Troll (09-12-2011), MerryCarey (08-19-2011)

Old 08-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

One Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnog
I have had my Kindle for quite a while, my son bought a Nook Color with birthday money, and of course I had to play with it for a bit to compare....The Kindle wins in my eyes, and speaking of eyes, it is much easier on the eyes when reading....

Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,358 Times in 5,935 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Well guys (and girls)....it didn't take me long to spend that birthday money! I am now the owner of a Kindle! I got looking into it & I just had to have one! I did some research to see if I wanted the Nook or the Kindle but ultimately decided on the Kindle! I have been spending way too much time these last 24 hours playing with it!
Welcome to the club!

Maureen - there were quite a few free Christmas books on Amazon. Not sure about the quality of a lot of them (lol) but.... The 4 I downloaded are:

The Birds' Christmas Carol
My Christmas Angels
Christmas Scandal...Not!
(reviews say this is very short - 2 chapters - but good & sweet.
The Christmas Angel

Let me know if you download any of them!
Ooh, you'll love "The Christmas Angel"! Anyway, I do!

I have snagged some other free Christmas literature elsewhere. I'll try to remember to post links. Some can be downloaded directly, but others, you have to connect the Kindle to a computer and drag them to a folder.

One problem with free books is that it's not unusual to find them riddled with typos, errors, and formatting problems. I'll try to steer you to the good ones!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Holiday (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Welcome to the club!

Ooh, you'll love "The Christmas Angel"! Anyway, I do!

I have snagged some other free Christmas literature elsewhere. I'll try to remember to post links. Some can be downloaded directly, but others, you have to connect the Kindle to a computer and drag them to a folder.

One problem with free books is that it's not unusual to find them riddled with typos, errors, and formatting problems. I'll try to steer you to the good ones!
That would be GREAT! Thanks so much!! I need to do some reading to figure out how to download/drag/drop, etc. Its a piece of cake to download from Amazon but that is as far as I have gotten. I do have a PDF book from the library - it says you can download PDF files? But I need to read up on it. It (the PDF file from library) is on my kindle - I can see it when I hook it up to the computer, but I can't pull it up directly on my Kindle. Any suggestions? In the meantime, I will do some investigating!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
If you've downloaded free Kindle-compatible e-books (.azw, .txt, .mobi, .prc, .pdf---but epub files are NOT compatible) to your computer and need to know how to get them into your Kindle, here are the instructions. (Holiday, this is how you can get your PDFs into your Kindle. But one problem with PDFs is that the pages often appear too small on a Kindle---this is something they haven't really solved yet and will vary depending on the PDF. There's a way you can zoom in, but there's limited control, and sometimes you have to scroll back and forth in order to read the entire page.)

1. Once the file has been saved, connect your Kindle to your computer using the USB cable. Plug the larger end of the USB cable into an available USB port or a powered USB hub connected to your computer, and the smaller end into your Kindle.

When connected to your computer, your Kindle will go into USB drive mode and you won't be able to use the device.
    Your Kindle will appear in the same location as external USB drives usually appear. For Windows users, this is typically in the "Computer" or "My Computer" menu. For Mac users, the drive will appear on the desktop.
  2. Open the Kindle drive. You will see several folders inside, one of which will be named "documents." This is the folder you will move your downloaded Kindle content into.
  3. Locate your downloaded file(s), and drag and drop it into the correct folder.
  4. Safely eject your Kindle from your computer, then unplug the USB cable. The file you transfered will now appear on your Kindle Home screen.
Remember: Kindle will only recognize transferred files if:
  • File types are recognized by the Kindle.
  • Files are transferred to the correct folder for their type.
  • Files are free of digital rights management software (i.e., they're free and in the public domain).
I'll be by another time with some sources for free e-books that are Kindle-compatible. Remember, though, the freebies vary in quality---some are great, and others are riddled with typos and formatting glitches.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Okay, here are some sources for free Kindle e-books (including Christmas books!). You will have to manually transfer these to your Kindle after downloading them to your computer, per the instructions I pasted in my previous post.

If you click on http://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide , it'll prompt you to save a .mobi file. If you save it and then transfer it into your Kindle, it'll appear on the home page of your Kindle as the Mobipocket Guide. You can search this for public domain books. If you find one you like, you can click on it and it'll download automatically into your Kindle. The MobileRead website updates this daily. There's a link within it that you can click, and it'll download the latest one to your Kindle.

OR, you can go to http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128 on the MobileRead website, scroll down, and there's a searchable list (the search link is on the right, above the column headings) of available e-books. Click on one, and it will take you to a thread about the book, and there will be a link allowing you to download the book.

Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/) is a big online repository of public-domain e-books. You can do a search, or go to their Christmas Bookshelf at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Christmas_%28Bookshelf%29 . Click on a book title, and it'll take you to a list of download links. Look for the Kindle links. Download the file to your computer, and transfer it to your Kindle.

And as some of you have already found, Amazon has many free/cheap public domain books for Kindle. But check the reviews to make sure the quality is okay.

If I happen to think of any others or come across some new ones, I'll pass them along.

Happy hunting!

hilarios (09-15-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanks so much MerryCarey! This will keep my busy for awhile! I am going to give up on library books until they are actually available for the kindle - rather than trying to convert. That was so nice of you to post this info!

The Following User Says Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (08-21-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

I downloaded the mobiguide this morning & have already done a search for Christmas... 52 results! Thanks again MerryCarey!

Did you see the post about the free Goosberry Patch cookbooks for Kindle?

MerryCarey (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

I downloaded the mobiguide this morning & have already done a search for Christmas... 52 results! Thanks again MerryCarey!

Did you see the post about the free Goosberry Patch cookbooks for Kindle?
Don't forget to search for "Santa Claus" and other Christmassy phrases! The Mobiguide has "The Damon Runyon Omnibus," which includes "Dancing Dan's Christmas" and "Palm Beach Santa Claus." It may have "The Three Wise Guys," too, but I don't remember offhand.

I don't remember if it's in Mobiguide, but if you can find it, another good story is "The Romance of a Christmas Card," by Kate Douglas Wiggin.

I haven't checked out the cookbooks yet!

Holiday (08-23-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanks MerryCarey! I will check it out!! I like the free GooseBerry Patch cookbook - the mac n cheese, grilled cheese, hearty vegetable soup, & Yummy Tuna Spread (I would use chicken) sound great!!
The leather cover for my kindle came in the mail yesterday!

MerryCarey (08-24-2011)