Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » Christmas songs/shows that chronicalize memories

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,408)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Sam's First Christmas
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:23 PM
48,388 Views  0 Posts
The Story of White...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 10:01 PM
43,493 Views  0 Posts
The Year the Reindeer...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:17 PM
64,049 Views  0 Posts
How the Grinch Stole...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:18 PM
58,822 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Crackers
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:31 PM
56,482 Views  0 Posts

Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Christmas songs/shows that chronicalize memories

It is amusing how certain songs or shows can bring us back to a memory in our past. I guess that is a way we chronicalize our memory inventory. What are some songs/shows that bring you back to the past?
Christmasstar (02-04-2011)
Old 03-31-2010, 03:08 AM
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Me personally, I have several. My mom used to have a Ray Coniff Christmas record and would play it over and over every Christmas morning. Everytime I hear Ray Coniff, I'm reminded of my childhood Christmases where my siblings and I would wait for what seemed like an eternity on my mom while she got dressed and made up nicely. My mom always made us dress nicely on Christmas morning since our Christmases were being video recorded by my dad. Boy, did we hate waiting. Sometimes it would be nearly noon until we were able to open presents, and my siblings and I were up at 5am checking to see what Santa brought. LONG MORNINGS. Because of my disdain for waiting, I make sure that my family opens their presents upon waking up in our pajamas. Completely different contrast compared to my childhood. Ray Coniff brings me back to that time.

During my senior year in high school, I worked at an Old Navy. During Christmas, they played alternative Christmas songs that would remind you of a Gap commercial. One song I particularly remember is the Christmas Wrapping song by the Waitresses. Every year I hear that song, it brings me back to that time I worked at Old Navy.

However, the song that continually brings me memory upon memory is Dan Folgelberg's Another Old Lang Syne song. This started back in 2001. My wife and I married in 2001 and we were hoping to spend our first Christmas together. Unfortunately, during the holidays I was deployed to the middle east and it didn't look as if I was going to make it home until early January. Christmas miracles ensued and I was able to make it back home on December 23rd. While waiting in the PAX terminal at Aviano AFB, Italy, I remember hearing that Dan Folgelberg song over the terminal radio. That is the first memory that song brings me. However, it hasn't stopped there. There are other moments that I recall hearing that song. One Christmas eve, I had to go to the grocery store to buy a couple odds and ins before they closed early for the eveing. It happened to be snowing for most of the day and I remember slipping and sliding on the icey roads. What normally took two minutes to get to the food Lion near our house took about 15 minutes because of the conditions. Prior to entering the store, I heard that Dan Folgelberg song. At that moment, it wasn't a big deal until after I checked out at the store and went back to the car. The Christmas Eve snow had turned into sleet and freezing rain. It reminded of the ending to that song that I had heard just prior.

A couple of years ago, my family decided to drive to Nashville and stay at the Opryland hotel, a place that was rated on the Travel Channel as one of the best places to travel for Christmas. We drove over night and I remember hearing that song a couple of times, but one time in particular was while driving down this country highway at 2am. The scenery included country houses decorated with nativities and lights, followed by an old, small, humble town (like Mayberry on the Andy Griffith show) that was nicely decorated.

There are other insigificant things I remember when hearing that song, not really worth mentioning for the simple fact that they are uneventful, but none the less, everytime I hear that song it brings me back to what I was doing years prior when hearing it. Last year, I heard it for the first time of the season while driving to the mall on Black Friday very early in the morning. Insignificant, but a memory none the less.

I look forward to what remembering what it is I'm doing the next time I hear that song.
ballcoach (05-09-2010), caninemom3 (07-04-2010), Christmas-A-Holic (05-12-2010), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), jimmyolsen (11-27-2010), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 05-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

G.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Actually its a toss up between two Christmas albums that hit me the hardest. First is Mitch Miller & the Gang's Christmas album. One song in particular, "Must Be Santa" is the best. It's on my nano once in awhile all year 'round. The other is a Christmas album from a group of ladies from the 60's called The Golddiggers. I never hear them on any of the radio stations around Christmas sadly. Those two albums bring me back to the seventies and put me in the living room with my four younger sibs and my folks. I can smell the Christmas incense burning now. Mmmm....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G.Bailey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-04-2010), Christmas-A-Holic (05-12-2010), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), jimmyolsen (11-27-2010), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 05-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,244 Times in 9,018 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
This is a great thread and I enjoyed reading both of your stories!

One song would have to be Perry Como's, There's No Place Like Home for the Holiday. It reminds me of my daughter and I cooking our Thanksgiving meal. Thanksgiving is like another Christmas Day for us, the tree is up and I usually play Christmas music while cooking. Anyway, my daughter and I usually spend a couple of days in the kitchen and when that song comes on we will sing along real loud. Her solo line is, "some pumpkin pie!" If you are familiar with the song you probably know which part I am talking about. When her boys were toddlers and I got sick that year we didn't cook together and I missed it. This past year she joined me again and she cooked a homemade pumpkin pie for the first time. Perfect for her solo line!

The Lemon Drop Kid movie reminds me of my dad. We always watched that together when I was growing up. He bought me the dvd a few years ago and I watch it all the time!

I know I will have more to add to this list as soon as I think of them. These are a couple of them for now.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-05-2011), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), jimmyolsen (11-27-2010), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,206 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
What a coincidence! I saw all three of the afore mentioned Christmas albums (Ray Coniff, Mitch Miller, and Perry Como) in a thrift store yesterday.
Christmasstar (02-04-2011), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 02:59 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 15,961 Times in 3,673 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
one christmas tape that me of my chilhood is from English or Scottish singer Roger Whittaker (he actually recorded one or more Christmas Albums in German).....it was always played at home on Christmas Eve before we opened the presents.

then the Rudolph The Rednosed Reindeer version of the rankin / bass production reminds of fall and winter 2007....because that´s when we bought the movie for Kandice and she loved it so much are called Rudolph Dodo....there are many more....but I can´t really name it

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-05-2011), Christmas-A-Holic (05-12-2010), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), jimmyolsen (11-27-2010), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic, your daughter had a great solo line! As I read that, I got a chuckle.

That Perry Como song reminds me of when I was deployed to the desert in 2001.

When deployed, my unit slept in tents. I remember my bed was at the back of the tent, which I didn't mind because it was closer to the heater than anyone else. We used shower curtains to section off our personal space, and I remember bringing a cd player along with me. Every night I'd listen to a "now that's what I call Christmas" cd until I fell asleep. It was a compilation of several christmas classics, ranging from Judy Garland, Perry Como, to even Bryan Adams and that song from Band Aide.

I mention this because one of the two songs that meant the most to me were Perry Como's "home for the Holidays" song and Judy Garland's "I'll be home for Christmas". Obviously, those songs had a theme about being home to celebrate Christmas, something that I prayed for every day. As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, I ended up returning home on December 23rd. Initially, it looked as if I wasn't going to make it home for Christmas because the next round of soldiers replacing us were not scheduled to arrive until mid January. However, a Christmas miracle happened and we were allowed to return from our deployment just in time to make it home for Christmas.

Prior to flying back, the Perry Como song reminded me of home, particularly the line "I met a man who lives in Tennessee, he was heading for Pennsylvania and some home made pumpkin pie." I was stationed right outside of Pennsylvania (in Delaware). There is a lot of amish country out there, and amish stores were notorious for selling baked goods like pumpkin pie. Everytime I heard that part of the song, it reminded me of returning home. Judy Garland's "I'll be home for Christmas" was more of a sad song for me, because for awhile it looked as if being home to celebrate Christmas would have only been in my dreams. One has to understand, I got married in spring 2001. That Christmas would have been our first together as a married couple. The idea that I would have not been able to make it home to celebrate really depressed me. Once again, I was blessed with a Christmas miracle by returning home on the 23rd.

On a different subject, I remember my sister and I would sit and listen to the Chipmunks christmas album. My mom initially had the record but bought the cassette tape a little later on. We used to crack up when Alvin started to mess up the 12 days of Christmas song. On the tape deck player, there was a button you could switch to play the tape in a faster speed. If you switched a normal song to that higher speed, they'd sound like Chipmunks. We used to use that switch on the chipmunks and would get a kick out of they'd sound. I think the Chipmunks, Ray Conniff, and Grandma got ran over by a reindeer are the songs that remind me of my childhood the most.

Being a kid in the 80s was certainly fun. There seemed to be an abundance of Christmas cartoons and specials, more so than now. Of course, cable is essential now a days as most christmas programming can be found on various channels, but watching christmas cartoons and specials on national broadcast television was the best. Luckily, most of my childhood Christmas specials can be found on dvd. I really get a kick out of my son enjoying the rankin/bass specials that I used to adore when I was his age.
caninemom3 (07-04-2010), Christmas-A-Holic (05-12-2010), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), jimmyolsen (11-27-2010), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,762 Times in 1,181 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Ok, I will try to get through this without crying. When I was a kid, and my dad, my brother and sister and I would decorate for Christmas, my dad always played his Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas tapes. Well my dad passed away when I was 15 (March, 1977), and for many years, if I heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, I would start to cry. I can listen to them now, and it's more of a good memory than a sad one for me, although I still miss my dad very much.

White Christmas reminds me of my mom back in Maryland. She would watch it so many times during the holidays, and it became one of my favorites too. Sometimes I will call her during the holidays, and ask her how many times she has watched White Christmas, and she will always say, Oh God, I don't know, quite a few times, and we will both laugh.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-04-2010), Christmas-A-Holic (05-12-2010), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), jimmyolsen (11-27-2010), Seawaters (11-28-2010), trackrebel (05-13-2010), usafvet (07-04-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,244 Times in 9,018 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I love reading these stories!

I have another one. This one is silly but a memory for me. I use to not care much for the song, Feliz Navidad. When my son was 3 years old (he is 20 now) I would play my Time Life Treasury Christmas cassette tape. If you are not familiar with that one it has a compilation of Christmas songs from various artist. Feliz Navidad is on it and I use to skip over it. My son loved it and would say, "I wanna hear Feliz Navi-Bop!" I am a fan of the song now and brings back memories of when he was little. Fun story to embarrass him with now. I also like it because it's at the beginning of, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.

After I wore out the cassette tape I bought the cd and still play it all the time.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-05-2011), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), Seawaters (11-28-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

MrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry disposition
I love these:
Oh Holy Night
Carole of thr Bells
Wish it could be Christmas everyday!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsEd For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-05-2011), Christmasstar (02-04-2011), Seawaters (11-28-2010)