Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » Asking, what do you want for Christmas?

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,451
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa in My Backyard
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:32 PM
43,784 Views  0 Posts
Gift 2 Yes, Virginia -- There...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 01:39 PM
0 Posts
Elf (Movie Review)
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:23 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
11-18-2013 07:29 AM
61,303 Views  3 Posts
“Home for the Holidays”...
By MerryCarey
05-14-2012 11:45 AM
40,740 Views  0 Posts
Tips for Buying a Fresh...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:57 PM
Last post by trackrebel
03-24-2014 09:13 AM
45,867 Views  1 Posts

Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,111 Times in 3,695 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I am usually know what the people want, from listening and also from just knowing my family and friends. And so is my mom....she has never in my life asked what I wish for Christmas since I am a grown up.....she always knows.....and my fiance did, too this last christmass.....the Wii had brought out a special edition....it was red and came with the regular wii sports, plus New Super Mario Bros Wii and a pre installed Donkey Kong..........I wished for that so hard........and I really got it....even tho it is quite expensive....that was awesome

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011), MsChristmas (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Princess of Christmas =0)
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,093 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I do a little bit of both... I try to pay attention throughout the year and write down ideas (I actually have a WORD program at work saved with one is gifts I have bought and for who and the other is gift ideas) most people think Im crazy but I know you Christmas friends wont . For the kids we usually let them look at ad's or when they see commericals and tell us ideas of things they like. I usually get my Grandma slippers almost every year and my Mom now expects a personalized calendar with the kids pictures on it each year.... so some things are surprises and some things are not... I think everyone likes to be surprised as long as someone has paid enough attention to get them something they will enjoy

There's no place like Home for the Holidays!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsChristmas For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011), whitney37354 (06-02-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,590 Times in 748 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Do any of you ask your children, teens, young adults, adults, grandchildren etc - "What Do You Want For Christmas?"

No, if I need gift ideas for my parents I go to my sisters and vice versa.

Afew years ago I came into my inlaws family and was shocked to find they don't ask what eachother wants for Christmas.

At my parents, my family always asked for ideas on what eachother wants for Christmas. Of course SOME things are left up to figure out on your own, a few surprise gifts or something you know the person wants and doesn't know about.

But, my "mother inlaw" always wondered why the family members seemed "slightly unhappy" with gifts they recieved. She doesn't know her own family members very well, nor did they like Christmas much with her until she started asking "What would you like?" and "What are your interests?"

Same thing w/ my mom. My sisters and I teased her about the fact that she had us make up our own Christmas lists.

Now that she knows, her gift giving has changed! I know it is the thought that counts, but what happens if the gift "just isn't you?" Re-gift?

I still keep it though my youngest sister didn't do well in the gift giving last year (giving a gift to me!) I was hoping to get some gift cards for the supermarket or something along those lines.

What do you do in your home with gifts? Do you "shoot in the dark" when it comes to gifts? Do you also figure out gifts your friends and family might like? Do you ask them? What I do personally, throughout the year, is keep tabs on what each person talks about, things they point out, things they like etc.

I really try my hardest to NOT "shoot in the dark." I really do try to find/give something that each person will like. I rarely go straight to them and ask them what they want. I DO try to pay attention through out the year and notice what they're going thru (Mom's retiring, Sam's working a lot at two jobs, etc.) and in November I try to come up with gift ideas that they'll like based on what they've gone through the year.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

happyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elf
I think the combo of both is great. I try and keep my ear open all year for the 'ooo I'd really like one of those' and 'if anyone wants to get me anything this would be it' remarks.

The children love making a santa collage full of cut out and stuck on pictures of things they would like, favourite colours and chocolate/candy.

I'd hate to think someone didn't like the gift I had bought them, although I would never admit to not liking something. So by asking what they would like/need it keeps everyone happy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happyelf For This Useful Post:
Adam (06-04-2011), Christmasstar (06-05-2011), whitney37354 (06-02-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

elf bazaar has shown a merry dispositionelf bazaar has shown a merry disposition
I spend all year planning and squirrelling stuff away, In fact I loved the home made ideas I found on here so Have already started off my Christmas gift making by setting off the vanilla extract to infuse!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elf bazaar For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (06-14-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,240 Times in 12,639 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
For my kids, I listen all year round to what they wish for. They will also make a list closer to Christmas, but I never had the heart to tell them I already bought everything!
As for extended family I give some kind of baking. With all the company around that time of the year, it is always welcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
happyelf (06-14-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmasstar View Post
For my kids, I listen all year round to what they wish for. They will also make a list closer to Christmas, but I never had the heart to tell them I already bought everything!
As for extended family I give some kind of baking. With all the company around that time of the year, it is always welcome.
Baked treats are always nice!!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

kgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the treekgstyles you could wrap up and put under the tree
I just ask my kids what they want and they tell me....For my family members, I always just get them a gift card to a place I know they like to shop at.
The Following User Says Thank You to kgstyles For This Useful Post:
happyelf (06-14-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 06:49 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,408 Times in 809 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by rockchild View Post
Question to my fellow Christmas friends here.

Do any of you ask your children, teens, young adults, adults, grandchildren etc - "What Do You Want For Christmas?"

What do you do in your home with gifts? Do you "shoot in the dark" when it comes to gifts? Do you also figure out gifts your friends and family might like? Do you ask them? What I do personally, throughout the year, is keep tabs on what each person talks about, things they point out, things they like etc.
I do a bit of both with the grandchildren and my husband and father; I ask and I listen. When the kids were younger it was much easier to know what types of games, toys, gadgets and books they wanted, as the years roll along and their interests change so rapidly, for the three oldest we get them gift cards or try to find a creative way to wrap $$ and toss in a Christmas ornament. Last year I gave them photo CD's I made to music of pictures I took and of them and the cat, along with $$ because we don't have the same shops here that they have where they live, etc.

When we were kids, my family always had our lists ready by the end of November or early December because some of our relatives shopped early. We'd have oodles of pages of the Sear's Wish Book and Consumers Distributing Catalogues flagged, circled and named to make things easier.

My grandchildren are too polite and don't want to ask for too much so they just tell us to get whatever we think they'll want. My parents ask for ideas of things my husband might want and sometimes the boys do too.

I remember a few times when one of my Aunts was "off the mark" on a few items for me when I was a teenager, but it didn't really bother me.

The Following User Says Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
happyelf (06-14-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,149 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Yes,I was always asked What we wanted and we still do it today.Everyone makes lists out,we tell eachother what we'd like/need.That said,We also keep our ears and eyes open throughout the year and pick up lil gifts we know one of us would love.

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following User Says Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
happyelf (06-14-2011)