Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,010
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,050 Times in 9,631 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Pumpkins and their Health Benefits

When the holidays approach we get hungry for pumpkin pie.

It's good to know that pumpkins are loaded with vitamin A and C, potassium, magnesium, fiber, and low in calories.

Have a slice of guilt free pumpkin pie!

Ingredients:
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (about 1 3/4c)
8 ounces skim milk or 8 ounces low-fat soymilk
3 egg whites
2/3 reduced fat graham cracker crust (take off the sides of the crust and discard)
3/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
pumpkin pie spice
2 egg whites, for the crust

Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
2 Mix pumpkin, milk, and egg whites until smooth.
3 Gradually stir in Splenda (1/4 cup at a time).
4 Add the pumpkin pie spice; taste and add more if need be.
5 Pour into crust** and spread evenly.
6 Bake in the oven for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 45 minutes (may vary depending on ovens).
7 Let cool and serve your favorite way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (06-03-2011), snowflake22 (05-24-2014), XmasDreams (06-02-2011)

Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,038 Times in 2,442 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Interesting! I'm going to have my wife give this a shot. She is famous for her pumpkin pie -- all made by hand, including growing the pumpkin (she never uses canned pumpkin).

She also makes a mean pumpkin soup. And, of course, pumpkin bread. And muffins. The more with pumpkin the better!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Adam (06-03-2011), snowflake22 (05-24-2014), XmasDreams (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,422 Times in 1,570 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
This look and sounds great, since i am huge pumpkin eater and drinker. If it has pumpkin in it i will usually try it.

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
The Following User Says Thank You to XmasDreams For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-24-2014)
Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Interesting! I'm going to have my wife give this a shot. She is famous for her pumpkin pie -- all made by hand, including growing the pumpkin (she never uses canned pumpkin).

She also makes a mean pumpkin soup. And, of course, pumpkin bread. And muffins. The more with pumpkin the better!
I bet that pumpkin soup is healthy. We need her recipe!

The bread and muffins sound super tasty too!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-24-2014), XmasDreams (06-02-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,957 Times in 927 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
Okay,now you have me wanting a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks to wash down my pie!!!
Seriously though, I love pumpkin anything!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-24-2014), XmasDreams (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Love pumpkin! I just had a pumpkin muffie from Panera Bread this morning
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,422 Times in 1,570 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by mom n 30 View Post
Okay,now you have me wanting a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks to wash down my pie!!!
Seriously though, I love pumpkin anything!

I know what you mean, I really with that Sep would hurry and get here so they would be making them again.

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
The Following User Says Thank You to XmasDreams For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-24-2014)
Old 06-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
chocolate chip pumpkin anything, and im sold lol. Starbucks does a year round pumpkin loaf here in California (not sure about anywhere else) and I get it when I need a fix! So yummy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,957 Times in 927 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
22 16x16

Does the caramel sauce cancel the health benefits of this recipe?
Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel and Pecans
Bread Pudding
4 eggs
2 15oz cans of pumpkin
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup half and half
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 cups french bread cut into 1 inch cubes (about 12oz)

Caramel Sauce with Pecans

1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, milk, sugar, half and half, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Add the cubed bread and mix until fully coated. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. Pour bread mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
During the last 10 minutes of baking, prepare the caramel sauce. Cook the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the caramel from the heat and add the vanilla extract and pecans.
Remove the bread pudding from the oven and drizzle with the caramel sauce. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whip cream!
Mmmmm…the perfect combination of fall flavors!
Recipe adapted from Southern Living.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by momnan30 View Post
Does the caramel sauce cancel the health benefits of this recipe?
I'm sure it does but it still looks very tasty! Probably can substitute for healthy ingredients to make this. Thanks for sharing!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-24-2014)