Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food > Entrees » Baked Mac & Cheese (a little healthier take on it)

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,846
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
candle Baked Mac & Cheese (a little healthier take on it)

Baked Mac & Cheese (a little healthier take on it)

INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoon plain dry breadcrumbs (any one you like)
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (or one you like)
1 16-ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed (or another green veggie you like)
1 3/4 cups skim milk, divided
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups reduced fat shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Cooking Spray
8 ounces (2 whole-wheat elbow macaroni, or penne, or bow tie, any type you like really)

DIRECTIONS:
Put a large pot of water on to boil. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat an 8-inch-square (2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
Mix breadcrumbs, oil hot sauce and paprika in a small bowl. Place spinach in a fine-mesh strainer and press out excess moisture.
Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until steaming. Whisk remaining 1/4 cup milk and flour in a small bowl until smooth; add to the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce simmers and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar until melted. Stir in cottage cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Cook pasta for 4 minutes, or until not quite tender. (It will continue to cook during baking.) Drain and add to the cheese sauce; mix well. Spread half the pasta mixture in the prepared baking dish. Spoon the spinach on top. Top with the remaining pasta; sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.
Bake the casserole until bubbly and golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
This serves about 5 people.

We always have this around the Holiday's but this is a little healthier style. You can also add cooked ham, chicken, turkey, or beef to this and serve after Christmas. We usually put this out for lunch on the 24th. I will make this a day or two ahead of time. This is a recipe I got form a lady I worked a soup kitchen with, we would pretty it up by sprinkling with paprika & parsley for a Christmassy look. It is good because it feeds a lot of people and at shelters that is key. But, I have made this at home it is always a hit at Christmas parties.
ChristmasSpirit76 (06-27-2013), One Spoiled Brat (09-19-2011), snowflake22 (09-20-2011)

Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

lmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
This recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing it

Merry Christmas! Liz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lmm8606 For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-02-2011), snowflake22 (02-03-2014)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

One Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnog
Thanks a ton for sharing....God bless you....

The Following User Says Thank You to One Spoiled Brat For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (02-03-2014)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Christmas Star
Last Achievements

ChristmasSpirit76 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasSpirit76 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasSpirit76 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasSpirit76 has shown a merry disposition
Thank you for sharing. Going to try and talk my sister into making it soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChristmasSpirit76 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (02-03-2014)