Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Roast potatoes?

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,436
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
“A Christmas Spectacle”...
By MerryCarey
05-11-2012 02:46 PM
35,962 Views  0 Posts
Name that Carol
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:34 PM
0 Posts
Christmas Tree The Birds' Christmas...
By MMC Editor
10-11-2013 06:59 AM
Last post by Virginia
10-30-2013 03:12 AM
21,910 Views  1 Posts
How to Make Craft...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:04 PM
44,062 Views  0 Posts
What do elves get paid?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:58 PM
48,661 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,092 Times in 408 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Roast potatoes?

just been reading kelly anns thread about christmas crackers,so is having roast potatoes for christmas dinner also a uk tradition because here without roast potatoes people wouldn't bother with christmas dinner,just seen a few pics of what americans/canadians would have on there christmas dinner plate and mashed potatoes looks very common in all pics,just curios if this is the case.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayden28 For This Useful Post:
kelly ann (08-09-2011), lauriebear (08-09-2011), Yuletide Junkie (08-10-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,275 Times in 5,591 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Where I come from, it's always mashed potatoes and gravy, for Christmas and Thanksgiving both. (My grandmother made wonderful mashed potatoes---my aunt swears she could have lived on them.) Down in the U.S. South I think sweet potatoes often show up on the holiday table, sometimes with a marshmallow topping. But ask a true Southerner about that. RJD?

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-09-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

MrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry disposition
I agree Jayden, Christmas lunch just wouldn't be right without roasties!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsEd For This Useful Post:
ClaireLovesChristmas (08-09-2011), happyelf (08-09-2011), lauriebear (08-09-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 5,608 Times in 1,283 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Actually have had a few holidays with Roast Potatoes so its not just a UK Thing at all. Now in the south it is usually will find both mashed with gravy and sweet potatoes with Marshmallows on top which gives a great crust.
Holiday (08-09-2011), lauriebear (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ejagno has shown a merry dispositionejagno has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Where I come from, it's always mashed potatoes and gravy, for Christmas and Thanksgiving both. (My grandmother made wonderful mashed potatoes---my aunt swears she could have lived on them.) Down in the U.S. South I think sweet potatoes often show up on the holiday table, sometimes with a marshmallow topping. But ask a true Southerner about that. RJD?
Yes, we do have sweet potatoes at every fall and winter major meal, at least here in Cajun country we do. We eat roasted potatoes all the time so it's nothing special or seasonal for us whereas the sweet potatoes are truly seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to ejagno For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

MrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by XmasDreams View Post
Actually have had a few holidays with Roast Potatoes so its not just a UK Thing at all. Now in the south it is usually will find both mashed with gravy and sweet potatoes with Marshmallows on top which gives a great crust.
I have to admit I don't know if Marshmallow is something I could enjoy with potatoe sweeet or otherwise!!!

We have roast potatoes on a regular basis but I admit it nice to have them roasted in goose fat or with garlic, I also like to roast carrots & parsnips- getting hungry just thinking about it!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsEd For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,212 Times in 483 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Marshmallows roasted until they're crisp on top of sweet potatoes is awesome!

I prefer mine a bit less sweet though.

At my house...honestly, we usually have both sweet potatoes (more often as sweet potato casserole) and mashed potatoes. I don't know many people who eat roasted potatoes on Thanksgiving or Christmas here but that doesn't mean it's uncommon (I've just hardly ever heard of it).

You should share your recipe with us. Maybe we'll try it out! I can give you my winning mashed potato recipe if you want!
lauriebear (08-09-2011), MsChristmas (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,562 Times in 1,457 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
We have mashed potatoes and we do the yams not sweet potatoes, they are hard to come by on the Island. We also have mashed turnip oh so yummy... We called the one dish candid yams, with brown sugar, butter, and marshmellows. Is is quit lovely really, the sweetness of the yam and the tartness of carnberry sauce... Oh my, it is making me hungry just writing it. But, my mother-in-law is from the UK, born and rasied came to the US married and then left when my husband was 18 back to the UK, so I always make a few roasted potatoes for her, she really enjoy's them. I worked down South and in the Mid-West and I noticed they served Mac & Cheese but not like any kind this out of this world homemade mac & cheese to die for let me tell you that. Also, in some parts Oysters are a big part of the holiday meal. I had Oyster Stew once and didn't know it until after I tried Oh my very good!!! I guess that is one reason why I love this place too we learn so much about other tridations it is so wonderful to learn them all.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,306 Times in 3,114 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanksgiving we always have mashed potatoes & a lot of times sweet potato souffle too! Mmm, mmmm! WOW I can't wait for Thanksgiving!! Christmas at my in-laws we always have mashed taters, but at my parents we have Smokehouse Spaghetti as our main dish, so no taters at all for Christmas at my parents!

The Following User Says Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,212 Times in 483 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by lauriebear View Post
We have mashed potatoes and we do the yams not sweet potatoes, they are hard to come by on the Island. We also have mashed turnip oh so yummy.
I had Oyster Stew once and didn't know it until after I tried Oh my very good!!! I guess that is one reason why I love this place too we learn so much about other tridations it is so wonderful to learn them all.
Mashed turnips?!? Weird. I would love to try that! About oysters, my ex-in-laws used to make oyster stuffing for the Christmas goose and it was out of this world!!!

Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
We have Smokehouse Spaghetti as our main dish, so no taters at all for Christmas at my parents!
What's Smokehouse Spaghetti?