Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Literature Discussion of books, short stories and other bits of Christmas in print.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,847
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,662 Times in 3,656 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Books already read:

A Highland Christmas - M. C. Beaton
A Redbird Christmas - Fannie Flagg
Christmas Box - Richard Paul Evans
Christmas Jars - Jason F. Wright
The Battle for Christmas - Stephen Nissenbaum
The Christmas Thief - Mary Higgins Clark & Carol Higgins Clark
The Christmas Train - David Baldacci
The Letter - Richard Paul Evans
Timepiece - Richard Paul Evans
Unplug The Christmas Machine - Jo Robinson & Jean Coppock Staeheli
When Christmas Comes - Debbie Macomber

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-25-2011), sugar142286 (08-30-2011), Virginia (11-01-2013)

Old 08-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,662 Times in 3,656 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
All this talk about books "made" me go out & buy a Kindle! Today I downloaded 4 free books from Amazon:

The Birds' Christmas Carol
My Christmas Angels
Christmas Scandal...Not! (reviews say this one is a very short read - 2 chapters - but it was very good)
The Christmas Angel

Can't wait to dig in!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-25-2011), sugar142286 (08-30-2011), Virginia (11-01-2013)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

happyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elf
Am happy with Christmas Promise. Shall I order a copy and be ready?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happyelf For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-25-2011), sugar142286 (08-30-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by happyelf View Post
Am happy with Christmas Promise. Shall I order a copy and be ready?
OK lets do it I will pick a copy up, but I won't be able to until Saturday, is that OK with everyone?
happyelf (08-28-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 47,618 Times in 7,653 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I won't be able to pick a copy for a bit longer - I'll just post whenever I can. It would be nice to know what other books are going to be on the list - that way I can get them in plenty of time. This is going to be such fun!!!

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face ~ Victor Hugo
Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Christmas Troll has shown a merry dispositionChristmas Troll has shown a merry dispositionChristmas Troll has shown a merry disposition
Oh, I want in! Have you guys already started? I'm an avid reader and would really enjoy this!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:51 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

happyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elf
No we haven't started yet - I'm still waiting on my book to arrive.

Room for everyone!
Naomi
The Following User Says Thank You to happyelf For This Useful Post:
Christmas Troll (08-28-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Christmas Troll has shown a merry dispositionChristmas Troll has shown a merry dispositionChristmas Troll has shown a merry disposition
Great! Thank you. I will download it tonight.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
OK, OK, my bad with Irene I didn't get the book, but I will what is our start date? Should we say everyone should get it by This weekend and also we do need a list for future books (Holiday posted the one from yahoo I really like that maybe we can Adopt it for ours?)

Here is a discussion / starting point (this is from my old book club - please take a look tell me what you think, should we delete a question, add a questions, etc.

• What did you think the book was about?
  • Did you feel that the book fulfilled your expectations? Were you disappointed?
  • Did the author seem to appear in the book? How? Why? Was the presence of the author disruptive? Or did it seem appropriate/fitting?
  • Did you enjoy the book? Why? Why not?
  • How did the book compare to other books by the author (or other books in the same genre)?
  • What about the plot? Did it pull you in; or did you feel you had to force yourself to read the book?
  • How realistic was the characterization? Would you want to meet any of the characters? Did you like them? Hate them?
  • Did the actions of the characters seem plausible? Why? Why not?
  • If one (or more) of the characters made a choice that had moral implications, would you have made the same decision? Why? Why not?
  • How does the setting figure into the book? Is the setting a character? Does it come to life? Did you feel you were experiencing the time and place in which the book was set?
  • How would the book have been different if it had taken place in a different time or place?
  • What are some of the book's themes? How important were they?
  • How are the book's images symbolically significant? Do the images help to develop the plot, or help to define characters?
  • Did the book end the way you expected?
  • Would you recommend this book to other readers? To your close friend?
Let me know what you all think and we can estimate the start to be this weekend and once we all get it decide on an ending date. We can pick a "question" and discuss that one on the thread for a day or two once we all posted move to the next, this way it doesn't matter what time zone we are in we can all discuss the topic openly and move to the next without feeling overwhelmed to be on-line.
happyelf (08-29-2011), sugar142286 (08-30-2011), Virginia (11-01-2013)
Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sounds great - am very excited by copy should be delivered tomorrow

When should I get reading?

p.s I have no experience of book groups but I love reading, so some hand holding may be in order.
The Following User Says Thank You to happyelf For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-29-2011)