Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » The Great Debate: Not a Christmas Movie

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,848
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,495 Times in 9,284 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

What about The Nightmare Before Christmas.....?? It's animated, I know....But I guess it would be Halloween movie ???????

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-19-2011)

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

YellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elf
Originally Posted by Snow-in-Texas View Post
The first movie that pops into my head on this subject is Trading Places. Takes place during Christmas, but that's about it. In fact it goes on into the New Year. I love the movie, but I can't call it a Christmas movie.
Ah... That's a good one. I agree with your assessment.

YS
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowSnow For This Useful Post:
Snow-in-Texas (08-20-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
I totally agree with Trading Places, but White Christmas??? Gosh, this really surprises me that this is even on a list like this... well in the words of ole' Clark "Sparky" Griswold "If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now." I mean it has Christmas in the title?!?!?!!?!?! Tee Hee - am they finghin' words - tee hee
caninemom3 (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Oh what about (and I may take a beating for this one - ouch!!!!)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I don't really remember the movie to well, but wasn't it around Christmas time, and I could be SO wrong about this, as I said it has been a long time since I saw this movie....
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,734 Times in 14,917 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
What about The Nightmare Before Christmas.....?? It's animated, I know....But I guess it would be Halloween movie ???????
I think that is more of a Halloween movie, that is when we watch it every year, and never after Oct. 31.

The only thing that is Christmas in White Christmas are really the very beginning and end when Bing sings White Christmas. It is tradition we watch that every year though.

How about the movie Just Friends, I look at it as a movie that is intertwined with Christmas, but it is nothing about Christmas though.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,495 Times in 9,284 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Originally Posted by lauriebear View Post
Oh what about (and I may take a beating for this one - ouch!!!!)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I don't really remember the movie to well, but wasn't it around Christmas time, and I could be SO wrong about this, as I said it has been a long time since I saw this movie....

You are correct in that some of the scenes take place at Christmas as well as some of the scenes taking place at Halloween. The celebration of Christmas was in, I believe, the first 4 Harry Potter movies.

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-24-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,781 Times in 1,184 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Well think about this, by what we are saying isn't a Christmas movie, It's a Wonderful Life isn't a Christmas movie. Like we have said about everything else, it takes place during Christmas, but it's focus isn't on Christmas. Maybe at the end of the movie when George is running through the town yelling Merry Christmas, but that's about it. Ok you can start throwing the stones.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-24-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,124 Times in 9,459 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Snow-in-Texas View Post
Well think about this, by what we are saying isn't a Christmas movie, It's a Wonderful Life isn't a Christmas movie. Like we have said about everything else, it takes place during Christmas, but it's focus isn't on Christmas. Maybe at the end of the movie when George is running through the town yelling Merry Christmas, but that's about it. Ok you can start throwing the stones.
Well darnit! We are not allowed to argue on here but since you are my husband I will argue with you at home! It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite CHRISTMAS movie!

I actually know what you mean. The majority of the movie is not even Christmas time but it ends on Christmas Eve. That scene you mention about him running through town yelling, "Merry Christmas" makes me smile! It's still my favorite "Christmas" movie.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,859 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
I've had HEATED arguments with a guy who claims that, while White Christmas is NOT a Christmas movie (for many of the reasons Jeff cites), Holiday Inn IS a Christmas movie...

Holiday Inn is as much an Easter, Independence Day or New Year's movie as it is a Christmas movie...

White Christmas... giant tree, check... four principle actors dressed up in Santa costumes, check... word "Christmas" in the title, check... wishing for snow and having your wish come true on Christmmas Eve, check... sounds like a Christmas movie to me...

According to ABC Family, Cars, Harry Potter and The Incredibles are ALL Christmas movies...
caninemom3 (08-25-2011), lauriebear (08-24-2011), made582 (08-20-2011), Snow-in-Texas (08-21-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,424 Times in 28,909 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post

I agree with Xmas. I consider it a Halloween movie.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-25-2011), lauriebear (08-24-2011)