Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,099
Threads: 54,028
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,174)
Welcome to our newest member, pe1225

Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 AM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
I don't know. I'd say it's safe to say that people of almost all religions have celebrated Christmas at one point. If you try hard enough, you can sort of see where these guys are coming from. They try to make the holiday enjoyable for everyone... they just take it too far and end up ruining it for some.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

HoosierChristmas has disabled reputation
Oh boy, it just sad!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
If I remember correctly, that's why the original forefathers left their home countries so they could practice their religion without the fear of retaliation and retribution (among other reasons). I'm not a Christian (maybe a Good Samaratin), but the season of Christmas or Yule is secular and very sacred. All of us have looked up the History of Christmas and have learned something from it. The season is about innocence. Look at a child's eyes when he/she sees snow. The twinkle in their eye when they see the lights on the tree and in the stores. The story of the Gift of the Magi. Slowly our rights of freedom of speech is slowly dwindling. All those PC people have forgotten what Christmas is all about. Those people aren't neutral, they're scared. I don't like writing XMAS, I love the word Christmas. I am not politically correct and I never will be. That town is losing out on alot more than Christmas.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

SnowMaiden1018 has disabled reputation
star

How very right you are Minta!!! I find it quite fascinating that while decorating for the CHRISTMAS holiday they exclude the manger scene but always manage to hang or display a big ole menorah! I try to teach my kids to respect all other faiths, and both of my kids can tell you the story of Christ and why we celebrate christmas, and also the story of the 8 nights of hannakah, and last we learned about Kwanzza--they can even tell you that there are 9 candles for Kwanzza instead of the 8 for Hannkah, I dont understand why to include all faiths and denominations they have to exclude Christians!! It is hard to teach children to be tolerant and respectful of others beliefs, when there are grown adults bringing forth an example of such pure idiocy in the world!!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Merry Fourms Member

GOJIMAN has shown a merry disposition
Unbelievable!

Hello I am new here my name is Gojiman and I was reading about that church incident, and all I have to say about that is I am a firm believer in the fact that christmas is related to religion is so many ways. When I read some of the comments in this thread I felt compelled to say this, this the first thing that went through my mind why this "war on christmas." I never seen nothing like it. It angers me to no end as to why people need to change Christmas or things related to christmas in a the religeous way. Anyway I say this because I am what you call a doubting thomas, but I will back those up who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and Christmas because it was all founded on religion itself if that makes any sense. I will stop babbling now. I just wanted to speak my peace on that.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Mistress of Home & Decor

Last Achievements

MrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the tree
I think that it's sad. Sad that some people feel the need to supress others. Sad that people can't tell people what they believe in without being accused of trying to push their beliefs on others. Sad that the story of a little baby born 2000+ years ago is so frightening to these people.

Last edited by MrsH; 07-22-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: extra word...cause I'm half asleep
Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

SnowMaiden1018 has disabled reputation
present

Well said, MrsH, Well said!!!

(applause)
Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

lightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoelightitup would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I fought with our congresswoman to leave Christmas alone a couple of years ago. I rallied troops around here and spent many days in many churches trying to get them to contact her. It got so bad for her she called me and said she would sponsor a resolution in congress to stay out of the business of Christmas.
"Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis today introduced H. Res. 579, a resolution expressing the sense of Congress that the symbols and traditions of Christmas should be protected, and that references to Christmas should be supported. This measure, which is non-binding and does not carry the force of law, simply states Congressional support for traditional references to Christmas that are being eradicated from the public dialogue."

"There has been an ongoing effort by retailers and many media outlets to slowly eradicate references to Christmas and the symbols and traditions that come along with it from public dialogue," said Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis. "Common sense has been hijacked by political correctness, and the Christmas Season has become a vague, generic ‘holiday season’ spanning from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, representing nothing and celebrating anything. December 25th is the federally recognized day known as Christmas, but retail chains across the country have banned their employees from wishing people a Merry Christmas. As if it could not get more ridiculous, the Christmas tree has now become a holiday tree. This is political correctness run amok. No one should feel like they have done something wrong for wishing someone a Merry Christmas," added Davis.
"My resolution is a simple sense of Congress defending Christmas and its symbol and traditions. It is a unified statement supporting references to Christmas, and disapproving of attempts to ban these references. The traditions, symbols and heritage of Christmas cannot be the next victim of political correctness," said Davis. "This is a selective assault on religious free speech, which is a fundamental right. Celebrating Christmas is not a violation of separation of church and state. The Framers intended that the First Amendment to the Constitution would prohibit the establishment of religion, not prohibit any mention of religion or reference to God in civic dialog. Who would have thought that we would live in a society where the display of Santa Claus and the mentioning of a Christmas tree would bring out the speech police?" added Davis.
"Efforts to morph Christmas into this generic 'winter celebration' go beyond the secularization of the day," said Davis. "Santa effectively took the Christ out of Christmas years ago, but this new effort looks to replace Christmas and even its secular symbols with the celebration of nothing. Christmas symbols symbolize Christmas, and Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. Therefore, the purge of Christmas is the goal. This resolution supports Christmas and defends the heritage and symbols that represent it," added Davis.
One person can make a difference. Smiling in Virginia
Old 07-27-2007, 06:36 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,055 Times in 2,443 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
You never told me this story! That's awesome!!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
And they say 1 person can't make a difference.