Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » My tradition passed on by my dad.

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,847
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 12-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Merry Forums Newbie

GreenMeanie has shown a merry dispositionGreenMeanie has shown a merry disposition
My tradition passed on by my dad.

We kind of grew up poor but the thing I remember most about Christmas is on Christmas Eve my dad would gas up the car and we would just drive around looking for lights. So now I find myself taking my kids out looking for lights and there just isn't as many as I remember as a kid. That is one reason I got into Computer controlled Christmas lights. I hope to get people in my area to decorate again. It sounds strange but Christmas Eve is my favorite day with the kids wondering what presents Santa will bring and the getting ready to go look for lights.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

cspelling is a new face around here!
I too remember as a child driving around neighborhoods looking at the beautiful lights and decorations with my parents. It was such a nice family thing to do. You're right though, these days there isnt nearly as many houses decorated, most likely cause the high cost of electricity.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

kelly88 has shown a merry disposition
My parents don't drive so we never got to do things like that. But for the last few years the week before Christmas we go out with my aunty in her car looking at decorations. This year I passed my driving test though so I can go around in the dark looking at all the pretty lights It's great!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Mistletoeologist

Christy Carol has shown a merry dispositionChristy Carol has shown a merry disposition
BF and I will be loading up the parents next Thursday nite in the old 4 wheel drive sleigh to drive around and look at the lights. We are going into the city to look at a big display they put on each year by the river and then just drive thru different neighborhoods and check out what everyone has put up.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

MinaHarker is a new face around here!
My family does that too. Throughout the season mom will take me to look at decorations. There aren't many anymore though...
Old 12-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

RavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elf
it seems in recent years....people have forgot the beauty of colored lights...and have gone more for the clear ones.....am I the only one who has noticed this?

bring back the colors of christmas !!!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Mistletoeologist

Christy Carol has shown a merry dispositionChristy Carol has shown a merry disposition
I agree!! I have always been a fan of colored lights. No offense to anyone who perfers clear but arent they just the same as light bulbs? I can take a lamp shade off a lamp and get the same effect. I think when the icicle light craze hit it really hurt the use of colored lights. I am glad to see more options with those and am seeing alot more of the colored variety than in the past years but to me there is nothing like a house lit up with C9 colored bulbs!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
When I was growing up, one night of the Christmas week was set aside to go and look at the lights. People did not decorate early back then so everything was reserved for the week of Christmas.

As my parents got older they started spending Christmas eve with us in our home and we took them out to see lights. I remember one Christmas Eve it was raining actually pouring but we went. LOL, hard to look at lights through windows covered with rain but the best part was being together for that's what Christmas is, love, family and celebration.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Merry Forums Newbie

GreenMeanie has shown a merry dispositionGreenMeanie has shown a merry disposition
I remember a Christmas Eve in the 70's and pouring rain too. But we also still went looking for lights but being from New England the temps felt odd for that time of year. Made getting in the Christmas mood hard.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
My wife and I sometimes takes our children at Christmas time to see the lights. I am going to set a date on the calendar this year and going forward to make sure we keep this awesome tradition going.