Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » My tradition passed on by my dad.

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,839
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 08-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
Up here in the high desert I was surprised to see that my little community does Christmas right. Almost everyone has some type of decorations and lights on their houses. If we want to see some other lights, it's a 76 mile drive to see them (either way). When I was little, they didn't decorate back then. But we would go into town and see the center of town decorated. Or we would take the train into Chicago and look at all the window displays and be amazed and awed.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 PM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 546 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
When I was little our tradtion was opening up our stocking on christmas eve or one present...

Today with my own children we do things like take a Christmas boat cruise on the lake to see all the lights and Santa. We also drive around looking at lights... on Christmas Eve we always read them "Twas the night before Christmas"

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Merry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
santahat

I did that with my two children, right up until they were teenagers; drive round looking at the lights on Christmas Eve.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
That's a great tradition! Isn't funny that, as adults, the Christmas memories that we cherish the most are the ones that don't have anything to do with gifts?

We used to drive around looking at Christmas lights as well. Our town used to have a "luminary" display the weekend before Christmas. It truly was magical...nearly every street in the entire town was lined with paper bag luminarias, every house was decked out in it's Christmas finest, the local radio station would play tapes of the local school's Christmas programs, and one of the church's in town would put on a live Nativity display. There were some neighborhoods where there were wandering carolers, bonfires to keep warm, people selling hot cocoa and chestnuts, etc. People would drive around, slowly, with just their parking lights on in order not to detract from the beautiful glow from all the lights and candles.

Unfortunately, over the past few years, that practice has fallen aside and I have to say that I truly do miss it.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Unfortunately growing up we didn't drive around looking at lights. Back then my mom was a stay at home mom and from thanskgiving up until Christmas my dad took on a part time job a few nights a week to pay for christmas so either he was working or was to tired to take us around looking at the lights.
However I do remember making cookies with my mom every year about a week for Christmas. She would make several different ones during a 2 day bakefest.
I do the something similar now. In the beginning of the December I will set aside a day to make certain types of cookies with my daughter helping me and then around the last weekend before Christmas I do a 2 day bakefest. I make alot of cookies but I also gives some away as gifts too. My daughter loves to help me mix the batter and to decorate the cookies. She always sneaks a cookie here or there when she thinks I am not looking, the little sneak! LOL! We like to go looking at the lights too. Now we do it the same nights nights I make cookies that way I can bring a tin of home made cookies and a warm drink for everyone to enjoy while looking at the lights.

Last edited by Minta; 08-13-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

MissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elf
We
walk around the street just as it got dark, Christmas here is summer & quite safe to walk around in my aunt's neighborhood, the light's were a fantastic display every house had at least one thing but last year only about three houses lit up, why? I have no idea, it will be even less this year because we're having it at our house & in our neighborhood about 3-4 houses out of 4 streets light up.
BRING BACK THE LIGHTS!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Mistress of Home & Decor

Last Achievements

MrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the tree
Where we live in Florida, you can submit your address to the newspaper with a small description of your display. They publish these in the paper so you can plan your "light viewing" route. They really decorate like crazy here. We like to hop in the car, windows down and drive around to see the lights. There is one house that even decorates the inside of their garage. You get out of the car and view the Christmas village that fills their garage. The man who lives there also dresses up as Santa and takes pictures with the kids. There is a small donation for the pictures, but I'm sure that pays for his horrendous electric bill.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I never drove around or anything like that. I (probably like a lot of people on here) love to sit in the dark with the only light is from the Christmas tree and drink hot chocolate. I was very happy to recently discover my girlfriend loves to do that also.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Santa Clausologist

Cedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elfCedarfarm is a good elf
Oh these are such great posts...thank you! I needed that today!!

Yes Sunshine, most of my favorite memories about Christmas are not gift related, I can thankfully say. We weren't poor, we were comfortable. Dad taught us the value of a dollar. Things were not given to us, we had to earn them. That's why the best memories are things like going for rides to look at the lights and making my own ornaments and cards (as a kid) buying the cheapest "cut glass" candy dish at Woolworths and wrapping it up 2 weeks before Christmas, knowing my Mom would be absolutely AMAZED at my impeccable taste in presents...(Hey, she did go on and on about how beautiful it was...lol!)
I still love going out on Christmas Eve ( If I'm not hosting the family party ) and looking at the lights...and wondering if I'll make it home in time for that Jolly St. Nick to arrive.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

Amanda Elf has shown a merry dispositionAmanda Elf has shown a merry disposition
We take a night during the week leading to Christmas to look at the Christmas lights (the ones we haven't seen while driving to my parents or into town).
Not as many decorate as I'd like to see..we do have one lady though that is a little over zealous..she has so many..you don't know what you're looking at...lol.