Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » Thanksgiving Menu Planning NOW?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,955
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,272)
Welcome to our newest member, hardiholpus

Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,243 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Thanksgiving Menu Planning NOW?

Is anyone starting to plan their menu for Thanksgiving?

I'm almost ready for serious planning. I've started making a list...what worked last year and what didn't. I don't often make the recipes that I make on Thanksgiving, so recycling them each year is not too bad. The problem is that I see new recipes to add each year, which means my meal gets bigger and bigger.

I always use Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey recipe for my turkey...no deviation there...EVER.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Then I make mashed potatoes (though I'm considering mashed turnips as suggested by...I think it was Laurie).

Last year this was a new recipe addition and a HUGE hit:
http://www.marthastewart.com/326904/...fruit-and-nuts

I picked that rice dish because it was listed as an "easy" recipe and it sounded pretty ok. I had a lot of extra mouths to feed last year (took in some of my friends who stayed in town with no family, which I LOVE doing). I was shocked...made a double batch and none was left. It made me smile.

Of course, I pulled double duty on things like the turkey, dressing, and gravy...choosing recipes that weren't super easy but that I KNEW were outstanding.

Anyways...are any of you doing any menu planning yet?
gabulldawg (10-14-2011), Gingerbread Latte (10-14-2011), Holiday (10-14-2011)

Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
We usually make the Giada turkey
Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Julie has shown a merry disposition
I'm trying to get some recipes together here and there. I usually make the Giada turkey too, but I am definitely gonna do the Alton Brown one this year. I want to try some new things, mixed in with the classics my family always has to have.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,243 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
OH! You guys have to link me to the Giada turkey!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
T

Folks - folks - folks...
I keep telling you all... its all about the TURDUCKEN!!!!
I make one every year... you can beat it!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Julie has shown a merry disposition
I can only speak for myself, but this is the particular Giada recipe I've made for the last 3 years I'd say. My family goes nuts over it.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (10-14-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 PM
is waiting for Fall
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,097 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
My sister always does the planning for our dinners, because she is the main cook. The rest of us (Mom and me) got our "Assignments" last week. Of course, we discuss all this before we get our reminders, but it's funny to see the younger sister taking charge of the 'old ladies'. So far, my sister is making the turkey and stuffing, sweet potatoes with apples, mashed potatoes, gravy. I'm making green bean casserole and two kinds of cranberries. Mom always provides the rolls and fancy turkey-shaped butters. And the pumpkin pies. Yum!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryBells For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (11-10-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I will start soon...it's not far now, and before you know it the day will be here I saw a magazine, I believe it was good housekeeping recipes or something like that and it looked to have some new interesting recipes. I like to try some new things, if I have the time and also make the traditional.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 23,671 Times in 3,843 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Oh, I'm getting so excited! I'm hosting my families Thanksgiving this year (40 people when everybody is there) & I am so excited. I don't have my meal totally planned out yet, but my mind is racing with ideas!! My Dad makes the turkey...always has & will for as long as he can. He usually makes 2 smaller turkeys (12'ish lbs) as opposed to the larger turkey - says the meat is more moist in smaller turkeys. He is talking about smoking one this year. YUM! My sister makes the mashed potatoes. I will probably make a sweet potato casserole. Another sister always makes the homemade pumpkin pies. And then there is salad, corn, burn n serves, desserts, tons of appetizers, etc, etc, etc. Now since my nieces are older & some are married, they all bring something too. So I will have to get a plan together. I should send out an email to everybody...like soon!

When I do make a turkey, here is the recipe I use: (but now I'm curious about the others mentioned here - going to check them out next!)

Homestyle Turkey, the Michigander Way

1 (12 pound) whole turkey
6 tablespoons butter, divided
4 cups warm water
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 tablespoons seasoning salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse and wash turkey. Discard the giblets, or add to pan if they are anyone's favorites.
2. Place turkey in a Dutch oven or roasting pan. Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter on both sides between the skin and breast meat. This makes for very juicy breast meat.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the water with the bouillon. Sprinkle in the parsley and minced onion. Pour over the top of the turkey. Sprinkle seasoning salt over the turkey.
4. Cover with foil, and bake in the preheated oven 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicely.

The only think I do different is I stuff the turkey with apples, onion, & celery.

Oh, how I love the Holidays!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

Gingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry disposition
candle

Mmm, you've all got me thinking now, thanks for the good ideas! Keep them coming!