Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Black Friday non-shopping traditions

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,950
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,272)
Welcome to our newest member, TeamYANTSU

Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,613 Times in 5,984 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Black Friday non-shopping traditions

For a lot of people, Black Friday is the day to storm the malls and shopping centers in a Christmas-shopping, deal-seeking frenzy. For others, it's a day to avoid the malls and shopping centers because of the Christmas-shopping, deal-seeking frenzy!

If you're a non-shopper on Black Friday, do you have any alternate traditions that you indulge in the day after Thanksgiving?

We generally start our Christmas gift wrapping, since we ship and mail lots of packages out to friends. We set up a couple card tables, bring out the boxes of gifts, put on Christmas CDs and/or Christmas old-time radio programs, and let the gift wrap roll. Before long the floor is full of unwrapped gifts, the tables are stacked with wrapped packages and the floor is littered with wrapping scraps. I call it "the Christmas Bomb" because it looks like a bomb went off and scattered gifts and wrap all over. This goes on through most of the Thanksgiving weekend.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
candysprinkles (11-06-2011), gabulldawg (11-05-2011), snowflake22 (03-11-2014), sugar142286 (11-09-2011)

Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

noles21 has shown a merry disposition
I typically don't do any shopping on black friday, why mess with all that hustle and bustle? I know for a lot of people that helps get them in the holiday spirit, so I can respect that.

Typically what I like to do is start my holiday decorating. Getting the tree up, decorating inside and out, all while enjoying the sounds of Christmas music and I typically end the night watching one of my favorite christmas movies...either A Christmas Story or Home Alone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noles21 For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (11-05-2011), snowflake22 (03-11-2014)
Old 11-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,571 Times in 13,329 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
none of our Friday's here in Canada are black.
I have heard about those sales though, my sister refuses to go anywhere near a store on black Friday!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

leah has shown a merry dispositionleah has shown a merry disposition
I've only gone shopping once on BF and that was at 6 at night when anything good is gone, haha.

We decorate the house that day. Set up the tree and put our inside lights up and all the other decorations. Our house isn't impressive on the outside, because we live in the middle of nowhere, haha, but the inside is very festive.

I'm really trying to make the most of this Christmas season, because it's the last one I'll be around for all the preparation. Then it's off to the real world for me, since I graduate college in May.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leah For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (11-05-2011), snowflake22 (03-11-2014)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 19,005 Times in 3,072 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
I try to stay away from stores on that day...why put myself through the mental torment..I get nervous easy with large mob like crowds in shopping settings..If I am in the states it has always been a tradition to go meet my old college friends and go to the Ga Tech/Ga game which is in Atlanta every day after thanksgiving!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,887 Times in 9,592 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Does it count if you go to the mall and not buy a thing?

My husband and I go to the mall every Black Friday with no plans on buying anything, we only go to get in on all the Christmas festivities that take place there. We watch the Santa Claus Ice Skating show on the ice rink in the middle of the mall, listen to the choir sing then stroll around to watch the other musicians that are at the mall. After that mall we go to another one for the Christmas entertainment they have there. We will usually eat at one of the restaurants while we are there.

We might buy something but it's not what we go there for and I WILL NOT stand in some line for 5 hours overnight or fight a crowd to save a buck! By the time we get to the mall there is not that bad of a crowd. There are lots of people there but not unbearable and no pushing, shoving or lines. It's actually VERY pleasant!

After a day at the malls we come home to watch Christmas shows and movies and eat leftovers from Thanksgiving!

We have so much fun! I can't wait!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (11-06-2011), snowflake22 (03-11-2014)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,613 Times in 5,984 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
Does it count if you go to the mall and not buy a thing?

My husband and I go to the mall every Black Friday with no plans on buying anything, we only go to get in on all the Christmas festivities that take place there. We watch the Santa Claus Ice Skating show on the ice rink in the middle of the mall, listen to the choir sing then stroll around to watch the other musicians that are at the mall. After that mall we go to another one for the Christmas entertainment they have there. We will usually eat at one of the restaurants while we are there.

We might buy something but it's not what we go there for and I WILL NOT stand in some line for 5 hours overnight or fight a crowd to save a buck! By the time we get to the mall there is not that bad of a crowd. There are lots of people there but not unbearable and no pushing, shoving or lines. It's actually VERY pleasant!

After a day at the malls we come home to watch Christmas shows and movies and eat leftovers from Thanksgiving!

We have so much fun! I can't wait!
Yes, I guess that counts as non-shopping! You're going to the mall for the entertainment and the atmosphere, not the materialism. Great tradition for opening the season ... and a great tip to get there later in the day after the "feeding frenzy" has died down!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (11-06-2011), snowflake22 (03-11-2014)
Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Merry Fourms Member

Punk has shown a merry disposition
I actually work on black Friday but I basically shop online that day usually while I "work."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Punk For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (11-08-2011), MerryCarey (11-06-2011), snowflake22 (03-11-2014), sugar142286 (11-09-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

candysprinkles has shown a merry disposition
Well, I try to do all my shopping in September and October. But, sometimes, I end up going to Walmart in the wee hours for the pajamas and movies that are $2-3 on BF. We live in a rural area, so it usually isn't too bad. Then, the rest of the day we have a Black Friday Movie Marathon. We watch Deck the Halls with Danny Devito and Matthew Broderick and finish decorating the house, the tree and/or the yard. Then we watch lots of other holiday movies usually on Lifetime, Hallmark or ABC Family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candysprinkles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

Melissa has shown a merry disposition
I shop online on Black Friday but I rarely go out into the stores. I also start putting up decorations and watch Christmas show. I love that day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post: