Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Could These Ideas Help Anyone??

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,451
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Tracks of Santa
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:33 PM
0 Posts
Xtree1 Christmas Stress: A...
By MMC Editor
12-18-2012 08:45 PM
0 Posts
Dear Santa: Say a Prayer
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:37 PM
Last post by Christmasstar
07-11-2011 05:27 PM
1 Posts
My Dog Sam
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:37 PM
Last post by caninemomssister
01-26-2014 03:12 PM
46,683 Views  1 Posts
"A Great Tree" by Zona...
By MerryCarey
10-25-2011 07:49 AM
62,100 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Merry Fourms Member

Renae Menard has shown a merry disposition
14 16x16 Could These Ideas Help Anyone??

These ideas are from the hectic Christmas days when our daughter was small. It took hubby and I awhile to come up with them....

1. Are you trying to keep the magic of Santa Alive for as long as you can with your children? We certainly were.

The inevitable day came when daughter came home from school and said another little girl told her there was no Santa. She was so in disbelief and wanted mom to tell her if that was true. Always a predicament for parents.

So we told her...Well, there will always be people who just don't believe in some things and others who do. And Santa?? Of course there is a Santa! Remember the song Santa Claus is Coming to Town? .......He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake.............

This is because Santa knows everything! He will also know if you ever stop believing in him. If you stop believing, he will stop coming to our house! Because if you don't believe, he just can't come as you don't think he exists anymore. It's sad but he has to stop visiting our home, then we your parents have to take his place and give you the gifts he would have given you if you still believed.
After that explanation was given to her, she continued to believe in Santa until some time during her 13th year. She just couldn't give up her beloved Santa Clause, no matter what she heard elsewhere. And Dad & I were thrilled that our child could maintain the magic of Santa!

2. Then there's always a sense of urgency when trying to time the act of getting the gifts under the tree and not be found out. Our daughter was always so excited she had a hard time getting to sleep, ofter being still awake well after midnight. And somehow she always managed to get herself awake before 5 a.m. to find her gifts. What a time crunch! So we had to come up with something so we could at least get a small amount of sleep and not miss her little face when she saw her gifts.

I bought a leather set of sleigh bells and hung them in the hall by the front door or fireplace. We told her Santa had been having difficulty with children sneaking in the night trying to catch him leaving his gifts for the children.

So he decided that if he knew (and Santa knows everything!) children were sneaking to see him, he would just take his gifts and leave! Naughty kids shouldn't try to sneak up on Santa! BUT!! If kids were good and stayed in bed, he would ring the sleigh (Jingle!) bells when he was leaving so they would know it was safe to come and open their gifts.

Of course no child wants to sacrifice wonderful gifts, so ours was happy, though anxious, to stay in bed & listen for the sound of the bells before she rushed to the tree.

This was great, as we could actually sleep a couple hours later than 5 a.m. then we would ring the bells, watch her explode into the room, and we thoroughly got to enjoy watching her, and actually be fully awake!_____________________________
3. Christmas Dinner........
Wow..Time to start prepping for dinner even at that early hour. During the gift opening I inevitably had to start doing all that needed to be started in order to have dinner around noon or 1 p.m., hubby's favorite holiday meal time.

I so enjoyed watching the daughter, but kept having to run back & forth to the kitchen, always missing one thing or another, even having to open my things somewhere between peeling potatoes and getting biscuits started, etc.

After a few of the earlier years of this, I decided to have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. This was perfect. I didn't have to rush and wasn't missing much of the excitement of the actual Day. There wasn't any frantic rushing in & out of the kitchen, and leftovers and a microwave made munching a gift all on its own.

Thanks for reading this!

Renae
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renae Menard For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (11-16-2011), Head Elf (12-10-2011), lillyrose (11-27-2011), whitney37354 (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Ladybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry disposition
Thanks for taking the time to put these wonderful holiday ideas into words. I'll be sure to use them to continue making Christmas majic.