Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » What do you think of this?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,081
Threads: 53,857
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,291)
Welcome to our newest member, Blitz

Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 19,003 Times in 3,072 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
oddly enough I don't take offense to this.. I mean I take it like they are trying to imply they will not be opening at midnight like the other stores are doing. And they simply want thier employees and customers to enjoy thanksgiving. Is it tacky? well maybe but I don't take it like they are trying to do anything but celebrate one holiday at a time..don't they have that right,just as alot of us like to celebrate Christmas 365?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
Something else to consider. Won't it be too busy the day after Thanksgiving to decorate in the first place. Maybe they will have people coming in on Thanksgiving Day to decorate, so the store is decorated when they open Friday morning.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

justme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elf
My Christmas spirit starts speaking to me the day after my daughters birthday which is August 24th...
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by gabulldawg View Post
oddly enough I don't take offense to this.. I mean I take it like they are trying to imply they will not be opening at midnight like the other stores are doing. And they simply want thier employees and customers to enjoy thanksgiving. Is it tacky? well maybe but I don't take it like they are trying to do anything but celebrate one holiday at a time..don't they have that right,just as alot of us like to celebrate Christmas 365?
Dawg, I think I agree with you... It does miff me that they need to Advertise why they aren't but being "In - Love" with Thanksgiving Day as I am it is understandable.

And I do this A LOT... Why did they market this sign??? See we are talking about them... They are in our thoughts and minds, we may "talk" about them to another and another, before you know it a lot of people are talking some will go to see the sign and then maybe buy something. Remember if a sign is posted it is or the full intent to get you to join/buy/or act on something, it isn't just to say hey We want to hold Thanksgiving dear.

IMO anyway... Thanks
gabulldawg (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,932 Times in 2,418 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
My experience here has been that they cover the windows right after Halloween and keep them covered until the day after Thanksgiving. These signs -- or something similar, the ones I've seen are more professional looking -- stay up until about a week before Thanksgiving then they put up a sign with a similar message the unveils the logo/theme of their Christmas marketing campaign.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
This was all over my FaceBook feed as well. Personally I think it comes off as a bit sanctimonious. If they don't want to decorate until after Thanksgiving that's fine - but they don't need to phrase it as though they are somehow better for doing so.

Also, one of my first thoughts was what some of you have already mentioned - some poor sap has to forego (or seriously limit) their holiday celebration with their family to go in and decorate the store for Christmas so it will be ready on Friday.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,239 Times in 494 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Eh, I just don't see the point in a sign like that. I am not offended by it though.

I have always been one of those "Christmas season starts on Nov1" kind of people and I dislike it when people crush my Christmas spirit by whining about me waiting til after Thanksgiving. To me, I love Thanksgiving more than almost every other holiday but it's part of the joy of the Christmas season.

I know the origins of the two holidays aren't intertwined but in my head, they go hand in hand. People who get indignant about us celebrating Christmas before Thanksgiving don't get to experience the joy of the season like we do. Really though, most people I know who get REALLY indignant about celebrating Christmas "early" aren't typically those with much in the way of Christmas spirit anyway. I just wish they'd keep it to themselves.