Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > TV » Shame on NBC!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

TV For any child of the 1960s (and later) Christmas just wouldn't be the same without television. Talk Christmas on the tube here, brought to us and constantly updated by the most comprehensive Christmas television resource online, MerryChristmasTV.net.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,846
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,334 Times in 5,934 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Shame on NBC!

I caught a few minutes of NBC's broadcast of "Miracle on 34th Street" this afternoon. It was an awful digital transfer---the motion was intermittently jerky, and the audio was noticeably out of sync with the video. What a shame that a major network considers such a shoddy transfer "broadcast quality." It also bolsters the myth that "all old movies look lousy." Sadly, that will probably be their broadcast master going forward. It's a black eye to a wonderful vintage film that deserves better treatment.

Added at 6:25 p.m.
TCM is showing a beautiful broadcast master as I type, thank goodness. If you want to see "Miracle" this season, please try to see it on TCM---you'll enjoy it more.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!

Last edited by MerryCarey; 11-24-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added info re TCM's showing
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (11-29-2011), made582 (11-24-2011), Spyells (11-24-2011), xmas365 (11-25-2011)

Old 11-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,714 Times in 14,910 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I love that movie, and started watching it only a few years ago. That is a shame NBC did that. I have the DVD, with both the colorized and black & white versions, I only watch the glorious B & W!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
I love that movie, and started watching it only a few years ago. That is a shame NBC did that. I have the DVD, with both the colorized and black & white versions, I only watch the glorious B & W!
Good for you! I have nothing against the colorized version, except that I think the B&W looks better and is more original.

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
hilarios (11-26-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:38 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,931 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Funny you mention this. I was at my parents house and the NBC broadcast was on but the sound was turned down as we had about 50 people in the room at the time. I noticed and my Dad got a bit testy when he saw the small image on his big HDTV. "It's got to be somewhere else" he said and he flipped it to TCM.

World of difference!

I never watch any kind of commercial television, just on DVD and such but there was such a glaring difference even I could see it.

Unbelievable.

If they do that to the movies you love imagine what they are doing to your news....just saying...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
hilarios (11-26-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,714 Times in 14,910 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post

If they do that to the movies you love imagine what they are doing to your news....just saying...
I have seen some of the people on the news around here, I don't think I would want to see some of them in full HD. (jk)
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Funny you mention this. I was at my parents house and the NBC broadcast was on but the sound was turned down as we had about 50 people in the room at the time. I noticed and my Dad got a bit testy when he saw the small image on his big HDTV.
Are you saying that on an HDTV it showed as a particularly small image? That's worse yet! Jeez, they must have been broadcasting a 640x480 iPod file or something ...

(I didn't notice the size because we still have an analog TV with a tube ... we'll get a digital HDTV when the old one dies.)

Old 11-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,654 Times in 3,656 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thankfully we could watch it just fine on our tv - nbc. I will definately watch it on dvd again though. What a classic!