Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Home Come here to introduce yourself, meet the Christmas Crew and get help using our forums. We also share news and information from our sister sites in this area as well as coordinate details of our year events, chats and contests. Our sponsors occasionally post special offers for our users in this area, too. .

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,470
Top Poster: xmas365 (151,038)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Dear Santa: Cynical...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2011 09:39 PM
55,078 Views  0 Posts
What is Santa's favorite...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:50 PM
46,042 Views  0 Posts
It Ain't About A Bird
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:25 PM
46,396 Views  0 Posts
The Christmas Dress
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:40 PM
Last post by caninemomssister
11-20-2013 05:09 PM
1 Posts
Frankincense
By MMC Editor
06-08-2011 05:45 PM
47,425 Views  0 Posts
View Poll Results: How do you celebrate Christmas?
It is a completely religious and sacred thing to me. 26 38.24%
I privately observe religious elements of Christmas but accept differing thoughts about it. 25 36.76%
I lean a little more to the secular side but tolerate those who make it a religious event. 16 23.53%
I am atheist and I observe Christmas for non-religious or sentimental reasons. 7 10.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,568 Times in 1,458 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
I have read all the post up to Rod’s. And while they brought choking emotions to me, fire, sadness, anger, happiness, pride, compassion, yes all these rose up in me as I read. How simple it would be if we really could live in peace and harmony, like the old 70’s Coke commercials, I guess you younger ones won’t really know about it. You older ones like me you know… A bunch of young kids on a hill top singing… “I’d like to buy the world a home and furnish it with love grow apple trees and honey bees and snow white turtle doves, I’d like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony I’d like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company…”
While this is just a commercial it sure resonates with me. Why can’t we after all these years respect one another? Why is it necessary for one to think it is OK to mock another on a billboard is it like some of you stated, that they have fear? Maybe they fear themselves? I don’t know what it is. Although I agree that the war is on religion not per say Christmas. I never could understand why Atheist’s choose Christmas as a Christian I feel that Easter is our most Sacred time of the year far more so then Christmas, at least for me and the Church I attend. I am a Methodist. I do not hide it. When someone sneezes in my presence I say God Bless You. I do say when someone does something nice for me Bless you and your kindness. I say Merry Christmas. Never once have I been told that offended anyone. In fact I at times even get told Thank you after I say something like this.
I help with Meals On Wheels, over the years I have went to many homes, funny not one person who is “down” on their luck ever seems to forget God, in fact they seem more in tune with him. So are they really “down”. It sure makes me wonder, makes me think. I had this one woman God rest her soul. She was Jewish, lived through the Holocaust, the stories she told me well now is not the time or place. She would also tell me about times so far lost. I once said to her (before I knew she was Jewish) Merry Christmas, Mrs. M, where is your tree, want me to help you put it up? That 1st year I had no idea she was Jewish, I gave her a Christmas Card, I felt bad she had no tree so I got her a little tree, and brought her Christmas Cookies, she told me that was one of her best Holidays ever, of course you can imagine my embarrassment to find out she was Jewish, I apologized and just felt awful, she said L, do not apologize, I learned more about Christmas this year then my last 80 years, and now I want to know more, you taught me you are never too old to learn, and only though learning can we respect and understand each other’s faith. I love that, I have kept that with me.
I guess what I am saying is I do believe that if we do not stand up for what we believe in then the ones who shout loudest will drowned out the ones who keep quite. I will not keep quiet, I will always proudly say I am a Christian, I believe in God, I believe he gave us his only son and that son died for me. I will say Merry Christmas, I will say God Bless, but as I learned from Mrs. M, I will always respect others their right to believe and worship in their way. I will always try to understand and learn other’s beliefs, that is what will help me to understand. But, I will not and won’t tolerate anyone who denounces God and my religion in front of me. I am very understanding, I will tolerate a lot, but please do not offend me to hurt me just because I believe, and that is my stand.
My first 14 years of life I grew up not know God or Jesus, I often think that is why it was so awful, with nothing to hope for, no light, well if you believe in nothing then really you have nothing, and I know I lived it. Now, after that I lived with my Nana, I learned who God was, I mean really learned, I went to Church, and I was in a place that ruled by love, understanding, hope… I learned so much over the next few years. I learned compassion goes so much further then hate and anger. I learned how to love and what it really was. I owe so much to the simple tap of Judges Gravel that sent me from a living Hell into the loving arms of my Nana. That judge I believe was guided by God, he knew I was at the end of my rope and he saved me in every way a person can be saved. Yes, I believe and I will also respect others beliefs.
I do not care why you celebrate Christmas just so long as you do celebrate. So long as you do not care why I celebrate Christmas.
God Bless and Merry Christmas, L
caninemom3 (12-15-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), gabulldawg (12-15-2011), mgramsey (12-15-2011), rodmonster (12-16-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,891 Times in 2,409 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Very interesting comments.

Perhaps I'm too biased seeing my position here. I just think Christmas should be celebrated on an individual basis. If there was something I could do to make the atheists/non-religious feel more welcome to not only come here but to be active and out front amongst us in celebrating Christmas, I would do it.

In my private conversations (and I have a few each season) I know there are folks out there who don't want to come to a place like MMC and out themselves because they feel they will either be hounded or harassed for their views and choices. That's a sad fact I hope we can overcome.

I believe Christmas should be celebrated amongst us all -- regardless of where we're coming from. I would hope all would feel welcome.

So far, I'm not seeing too many of the non-religious surfacing here.

And I understand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-15-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

YellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elf
I voted yesterday; but was leery to post in the thread. I voted #3 and after reading Maureen's post, it gave me the courage to do so.
I consider myself an agnostic, though very religious folks would probably consider me an atheist if I explained my thoughts and feelings.
I'm not going to type all of that out here; but, I have no problems with people saying Merry Christmas, or schools singing carols or having Christmas parties. There is no war with me on the subject. I truly respect everyone's right to their own beliefs and opinions on everything. There are things I feel strongly about, but I would never even get in an argument about this, because I don't expect anyone else in this world to think just like me.
There is definitely a LOT of history and tradition about Christmas that comes from the religious side of the holiday and I respect that and have no problems with any of it. In fact I embrace it all, yet celebrate in my own way.
That's it for me right now...

Respect to all,
YS
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to YellowSnow For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-15-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), Courtney (12-15-2011), drkmater (08-31-2013), kelly ann (12-15-2011), lauriebear (12-15-2011), Storeytime (08-07-2012)
Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
As many of you know, I have been here on MMC for four years. I am not religious but then again I am not completely an atheist, I accept science too and uh hum, is interested in Paganism but I will never impose my views on anyone.
I accept the fact that we are all here on MMC to celebrate a wonderful time of the year. We all celebrate it for many reasons, just like how we all have many traditions throughout the world. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. Live and let live I say. I don't care what your religion is, as long as you dont force it down my throat we can all be great friends because at the end of the day, it's our differences which make us unique.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kelly ann For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (12-17-2011), Courtney (12-15-2011), gabulldawg (12-15-2011), lmm8606 (11-14-2012), YellowSnow (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,772 Times in 4,433 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by YellowSnow View Post
I voted yesterday; but was leery to post in the thread. I voted #3 and after reading Maureen's post, it gave me the courage to do so.
I consider myself an agnostic, though very religious folks would probably consider me an atheist if I explained my thoughts and feelings.
I'm not going to type all of that out here; but, I have no problems with people saying Merry Christmas, or schools singing carols or having Christmas parties. There is no war with me on the subject. I truly respect everyone's right to their own beliefs and opinions on everything. There are things I feel strongly about, but I would never even get in an argument about this, because I don't expect anyone else in this world to think just like me.
There is definitely a LOT of history and tradition about Christmas that comes from the religious side of the holiday and I respect that and have no problems with any of it. In fact I embrace it all, yet celebrate in my own way.
That's it for me right now...

Respect to all,
YS
And there is the answer I hoped for. Of course it's absolutely fine to believe, doubt or disbelieve as you see fit. It is certainly the business only of the individual. I'm sorry you were concerned about posting here; please don't be in the future!

We all love Christmastime for our own reasons, and I don't think anyone here would ridicule you, or even think less of you, just because you have a different idea about how to celebrate the season.

The only problem I have is with those non-believers who have to be vocal about it. It's ok if they don't want to participate, but they don't have to attack those of us who are not as enlightened as they.

Respect right back atcha, YS!
caninemom3 (12-15-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), drkmater (08-31-2013), gabulldawg (12-15-2011), kelly ann (12-15-2011), lmm8606 (11-14-2012), made582 (12-15-2011), Meceka (12-16-2011), mgramsey (12-15-2011), rodmonster (12-16-2011), YellowSnow (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Last Achievements

I think it is incredibly intimidating to hear some emphatically say "Jesus is the Reason for the Season"....and then be here and not feel that way. I feel for those folks who want to celebrate Christmas in their way here in the face of that. I want everyone to not only BE welcome but to FEEL welcomed as well.

We cannot escape the obvious connections of Christmas to religious elements. Neither can we escape those pagan elements and roots either. There is room for both. The unknown is not in the content we forward...it is in the community we keep.

I have learned -- I should say, I have had to learn -- the Christmas is bigger than my way of looking at it. I have a very spiritual connection to Christmas, one that I don't think even many of the religious here can relate to. And that's not a slam. It is just very personal.

That personal Christmas, at least in my case, is expanded upon by those amongst us here who either privately or bravely in the public areas share what it means to them.

I applaud the honesty and candid comments posted by those who feel in the minority but who usually feel they can't talk about it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-15-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), GingerMel (12-22-2011), kelly ann (12-15-2011), lmm8606 (11-14-2012), Meceka (12-16-2011), samual332 (06-23-2012), YellowSnow (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
As many on here know I am Agnostic. I chose #4 only because of the wording. I like many other "non-believers" on here fully understand and support the Religious side of Christmas. I may not celebrate for Religious reasons, but I understand that the Holiday is rooted in Religion. I could care less about people having a Christmas tree(or the 10 Commandments) on Government property. I don't agree with any Religion in public schools. Christmas for me is a time of "Magic", Love, Family, and Giving.

If Jesus is your "Reason for the Season" then enjoy. If someone says "Happy Holidays" don't feel slighted that includes Christmas. I personally say Merry Christmas, I don't feel that saying Happy Holidays is trying not to offend people. I feel it is trying to include people. Either way Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. I hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas season.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM

Last Achievements

Years ago when I lived in California we had a good neighbor, an agnostic, who just went crazy with the lights. I grew up in his neighborhood and it was our tradition every Christmas to go look at his new additions each year and my Dad would write him a check to help pay for the electric bill just because we enjoyed what he did. We developed a warm relationship with him that was renewed yearly as we would visit his yard.

He was interviewed on TV when someone accused him of promoting Christ too much.

Of course, as they interviewed him and he told them he was agnostic, you could hear the gasps of those of us watching him get interviewed. It totally took the wind out of the complaint and the reporter was absolutely beside himself because he actually had a story (he thought).

I'll never forget what he said, though. He said he put up the lights for one reason and that was for the smiles of the kids and the love between neighbors. We all applauded.

If that's not Christmas, I don't know what is and it has always inspired me.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-15-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), drkmater (08-31-2013), GingerMel (12-22-2011), lmm8606 (11-14-2012), made582 (12-15-2011), Meceka (12-16-2011), MrsH (12-15-2011), Storeytime (08-07-2012)
Old 12-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

justme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elf
Originally Posted by rodmonster View Post
Sorry folks.. i LOVE Santa, Charlie Brown, Frosty, The Grinch... and trying NOT to shoot my eye out! I love ALL of my decorations and 8 trees in my house (YES 8!)
=)
LOVE IT!
But in the end - Christmas is about Christ - PERIOD!
I don't budge on this one... and never will..
I refuse to die and show up in Heaven and stand before God and say... well.. i kinda did what you wanted.... I kinda celebrated your sons birthday... after i opened all my presents and ate all my turkey..... um ... yeah right after i watched a Christmas Special....
Nope... not happening...
Jesus is the Reason for the Season... the rest is just side fun.....

As for the war - folks - its real - and its growing... I live in the DC area.... It is PC nightmare up here year round.... and worst by far at this time of year....

Its on the billboards, on the news, on city buses (yes huge anti Christmas ads), EVERYWHERE!

If you don't stand up for your religous rights - guess what.. they go away....

Be strong this season...
And God Bless Us One and ALL!!
Very well said Rod.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justme324 For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (12-17-2011), mgramsey (12-15-2011), rodmonster (12-16-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 PM

Last Achievements

So...what do you think? Should our sites be passing forward the coverage of all the PC arguments, the debates, etc that seem to be erupting in places like Washington DC, Texas and Arkansas this week?

Or should we just leave that buried in the media?

I've been torn on the issue because I don't think those stores are constructive or helping to solve anything.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-15-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), GingerMel (12-22-2011), YellowSnow (12-15-2011)