Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
"Christmas Every Day"...
By MerryCarey
10-28-2011 02:23 PM
65,837 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in the 1930s
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:02 PM
63,403 Views  0 Posts
Handel's Messiah
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:18 PM
47,295 Views  0 Posts
It's a Wonderful Life...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:17 PM
52,086 Views  0 Posts
The Story of Black Peter
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:49 PM
Last post by Angioni
09-16-2012 09:19 AM
1 Posts

Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Merry Forums Newbie
Last Achievements

Srebak has shown a merry disposition
What to do?

I'll be frank and try to explain this as best as i can.

Every Christmas for as long as i've been old enough to actually care, i've tried to watch Holiday specials by the dozens (even holidays i don't even celebrate; Hanukkah and Kwanzaa) in my attempts to get into the holiday spirit. I once even made a "memoir" of sorts reflecting all i've done around this time over the years. But in recent years, whenever i try to watch something related to the holidays, i either open an old wound when i think back to a particularly damaging moment in my past around this time of year or my mind just wanders to something else and my imagination runs wild and remakes certain shows i've watched in ways that seem wrong and unsettling to me. But the worst part is, it's taken me nearly 7 days to watch the list of specials i made and the DVDs i have to get into the holiday spirit and with Christmas Eve only 4 days away, i don't have time to watch them all again, maybe some, but that's not the point. What's wrong with me? I'm losing it! The same thing happened with Halloween too.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:40 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
If you have to watch something to get into the Christmas spirit, you're doing it wrong. Christmas is not a spectator sport. It is something you do.

Forget about yourself and go out and lift someone's spirits. You'll find your Christmas spirit sure enough.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-20-2011), George Broderick, Jr. (12-20-2011), made582 (12-20-2011), reindeerelf (12-08-2012), rufas2000 (12-20-2011), Snow-in-Texas (12-20-2011), sugar142286 (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,561 Times in 3,709 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
This is what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihQuiyV-lXU
Snow-in-Texas (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Merry Forums Newbie
Last Achievements

I know what christmas is about; Giving, goodwill and joy, and those are just the basics. But my problem is that when i try to watch specials that help emphasis all that, my brain does almost everything it can to distract me and that makes me feel like i'm losing my mind. What do i do?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

LightningFlashJack has shown a merry dispositionLightningFlashJack has shown a merry dispositionLightningFlashJack has shown a merry dispositionLightningFlashJack has shown a merry disposition
I know what you mean, Srebak. It's like trying to make yourself fall asleep by thinking about it. The more you try, the less likely it is to happen.

It's hard to figure out why your mind is doing what it's doing through 2 forum posts (Welcome, by the way!) but maybe you're feeling the pressure that often comes from the season? (Am I ready? Did I do enough? I feel bad because I couldn't get everything? etc) Who knows???

What I suggest is to let the past be the past. Hard to do but over time, you can train your mind to do just that. I promise.

I've done some crappy things in my past and I sometimes think back to those times...and I start feeling bad. But then I realize that it was those experiences that made me the person I am today; far from perfect but better than I was back then. Just understand that those damaging moments from the past are there in part to teach you something and to make you stronger. Nowadays, I try and make up for those events by helping others who are going through the same thing.

Again, I don't know your specific situation but maybe Jeff's response (although a bit preachy. HA!) isn't such a bad one. Forget about yourself (even though you don't feel Christmas-y) and try and make Christmas better for someone else. I once faked a Christmas-y attitude to try and lift the spirits of those around me back in my homeless days. Once others started getting in the spirit, I found I started to, as well.

Don't mean to rant. I feel for you, for certain! If there's anything I can do (that doesn't include mailing you a kidney or a box of kittens), please let me know!

Merry Christmas to you whatever happens!
The Following User Says Thank You to LightningFlashJack For This Useful Post:
reindeerelf (12-08-2012)
Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Along the same line as Jeff, don't force Christmas. Let Christmas come to you!

Sometime I think we ruin our own Christmas by thinking we have to have everything in apple pie order year after year. Once I figured out I didn’t HAVE to listen & record every Christmas radio show I could find on the radio and over the internet, I chilled out a lot!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Merry Forums Newbie
Last Achievements

It's the holiday season again, and just like last year, i'm trying to get into the spirit by watching Holiday specials.

This year, i tried to start early, i even put up the Christmas tree and most of the decorations before Dec. 1st. However, for the last 7 days, i have been watching Holiday specials, and just like last year, my attempts to make them sink into my brain are thwarted by my active imagination running wild. I even have to deal with some old wounds as i inadvertently remember some bad things in my past. All of this is still happening even while i'm typing all of this. It's as if my brain is going out of its way to block out any attempts to enjoy the holidays.

And if that wasn't bad enough, just like with Thanksgiving, my attempts to think about the main things that Christmas is about: kindness to those around you, generosity, wishes and hope, are always thwarted by thoughts brought up by the following phrase: Real world, Real life, reality and Fairy Tales.

For example, whenever i think about someone showing kindness and generosity or just being hopeful and wishful, i'm haunted by past shows and movies that would point out that that's not how the world works, and somehow that just haunts me to no end.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,267 Times in 26,540 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Well I guess the answer would be not to watch them then. Instead get out and volunteer. Find a food pantry near by or a soup kitchen and go help out. Maybe volunteer to be a bell ringer with the salvation army. Try to find a group that collects gifts for families that need help and see if they could use the help. Sure there is a lot of bad in this world but there is also a lot of good. You just have to look a little harder for it because good news doesn't sell newspapers or make people turn on the tv.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

reindeerelf has disabled reputation
santahat

Try not to focus on how the world is. Take a cue from John Lennon and imagine how the world could be.

Maybe you will find the following lines by Paul O'Neil helpful.

Christmas time
And the moments just beginning
From last night
When we'd wished upon a star

If our kindness
This day is just pretending
If we pretend long enough
Never giving up
It just might be who we are