Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » When You Plan Your Presents

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,553)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
When Bad Things Happen...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:24 PM
43,712 Views  0 Posts
Why We Use Red and Green...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:27 PM
Last post by Vincencia
11-12-2012 04:21 PM
64,527 Views  1 Posts
Charlie Brown's...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:58 PM
56,382 Views  0 Posts
A Fat Man's Holiday
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:18 PM
44,809 Views  0 Posts
Seeing Christmas...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:16 PM
49,943 Views  0 Posts

Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

ChristmasFan08 is a good elfChristmasFan08 is a good elfChristmasFan08 is a good elfChristmasFan08 is a good elfChristmasFan08 is a good elfChristmasFan08 is a good elf
When You Plan Your Presents

What Date Do People On Here Plan They Presents
Old 06-07-2007, 10:06 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
buying them or receiving them? I never plan my buys...but I always plan to receive on a set date, every year, without fail.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Merry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I'm fortunate. My husband does most of the gift buying!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 AM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
I try to buy gifts throughout the year. The only problem with that is you have to make sure that it's something they would never buy for themselves. You also have to put the word out for nobody else to get it for them in the course of the year.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,467 Times in 910 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Right after Christmas I start making a list of ideas for gifts. I will of course make several changes through out the year until I have the final list (by Oct).

I buy for my mom through out the year. I aways catch good sales on for things for my mom. I will also pick up stocking stuffers for the kids and my hubby when ever I see things they would like or would need more of by the time Christmas rolls around. Hit the Toys R Us big toy book sale for the kids in Oct and I shop Black Friday. I try to be done by Dec 1st.

I am also a big baker and have single friends and family member who would rather have baked goodies then a store bought gift. So I hit the after Christmas sales to stock up on tins, plastic containers and bags to give away the baked goodies in. The baked goodies always get handed out on Dec 23/24.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Merry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMerry Sage would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I still want to have a year where the money that would have been spent on gifts, goes to a charity instead.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

SnowMaiden1018 has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Merry Sage View Post
I still want to have a year where the money that would have been spent on gifts, goes to a charity instead.

Last Year I was working 2 jobs trying to make a better Christmas for My kids and I, and My eldest daughter (she was 7 at the time) asked me if she could tell Santa not to bring her any presents that year, she wanted them all to go the poor kids. ( I admit I cried like a baby!) The next day we went to the store and I told her to pick out anything she wanted, for a boy and for a girl, we then gave it all to the Marines Toys for Tots. WHen CHristmas day came around, she still got presents, after all Santa will always reward generosity and caring! But She was still In a lil bit of a funk...Until later that day when we saw the footage of the Marines at the local childrens hospital with Santa giving out the toys we had donated !! I think Your right that one day we might all give up a lil more for the joy on someone elses face, But I think if we all just gave a little bit, it would make a big difference. I saw that last year a christmas. I see it everyday!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

elfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happy
i buy all year for the holidays and for birthdays. iget easter basket fixins and valentine basket fdixins and halloween cauldron fixins. it is my personal opinion tht any opportunity to give and receive festive fabulousness should not go unacknowledged! last week i got something for my mother's xmas present.

as for when to open presents, i dont do dec 25th specifically, so we do gifts whenever we want!

xo

"Elfworks is right." *Jeff Westover

HAVE SPATULA. WILL TRAVEL......
www.thyca.org
http://www.aace.com/public/awareness...kCheckCard.pdf

OH HAPPY DAY! THE END OF KAKISTOCRACY IS HERE!!

"NO, NO, NO ! I mean JINGLE BELLS ! You know... Santa Claus and Ho Ho Ho and Mistletoe and presents to pretty girls..." * Lucy Van Pelt
"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!" * Lucy Van Pelt
Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

sarahelizabeth is a new face around here!
Not sure exactly what you're asking here, but I start shopping around October.

Last edited by sarahelizabeth; 06-15-2007 at 05:07 AM. Reason: To be more concise
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
I usually buy one gift a month. Or at least I use to. Then I told my husband about the idea (he is starting to like Christmas all over again) and we have decided that 6 presents are enough or us, so every other month I/we buy something. This year, because we are going to Boston, I'm sure we will be buying Christmas presents there. We also have a $25 dollar limit on gifts, that way we don't over spend. It's getting harder to surprise him with unique gifts, but I keep trying.