Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » How to handle Post-Christmas blues?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Misfit Toy has shown a merry dispositionMisfit Toy has shown a merry dispositionMisfit Toy has shown a merry disposition
I know.....it just went so fast this year it seemed, faster than usual. I have had a big case of the post-Xmas blues. 2011 was not the greatest year, so I was especially sad this Xmas because I was thinking too much about it ending as well as how there had been absolutely no snow and overall this season just didnt quite feel like the holidays usually do for me. Here is hoping 2012 is a much better year & Xmas, especially with the threat of it being the last year lol......hopefully this wasn't our last Xmas!

BUT, its NOT over yet!!! We still have New Years Eve & New Years Day. Its fun to make New Years Eve & Day just like Xmas Eve & Day! The CN Tower here in Toronto will be decked in red, green and snowflake lights until the New Year, the fireplace/yule log channel is still playing with Xmas Carols, I still have some holiday movies I've still yet to watch and best of all...the first snowfall of the season is on its way tonight!!!!!!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misfit Toy For This Useful Post:
Bullypup (01-04-2012), CJ498 (01-03-2012), EdNog (01-03-2012), Seawaters (12-28-2011), shellie12 (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)

Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,036 Times in 2,880 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
am still ok yet
here in ireland a lot dont take there decor down to the 6th ones wood tell you its bad luck
And the christmas 24 channel is still showing films am watchin
one now
My partner is a bit sad he loves it to lol
I am thinking ahead to next year already
CJ498 (01-03-2012), Seawaters (12-28-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,995 Times in 9,436 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by shellie12 View Post
here in ireland a lot dont take there decor down to the 6th ones wood tell you its bad luck
I say let's tell EVERYONE it's bad luck to take them down early. Maybe people would leave their decorations up longer!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (01-03-2012), gabulldawg (01-01-2012), Seawaters (12-28-2011), shellie12 (12-28-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Don't know about it being bad luck taking them down early, but it was always drummed into me that if they were left up any longer than 12th Night, THAT was unlucky.

Funny how different places believe different things, eh?!!! Same as over here, a black cat is lucky; over in North America, totally the opposite!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,995 Times in 9,436 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Don't know about it being bad luck taking them down early, but it was always drummed into me that if they were left up any longer than 12th Night, THAT was unlucky.

Funny how different places believe different things, eh?!!! Same as over here, a black cat is lucky; over in North America, totally the opposite!

Yes, that black cat thing gets to me! I have a black cat and it amazes me how superstitious people can be about them. When my cousin was a teenager and started driving he saw a black cat "cross his path", he actually backed his car up and drove another direction! He don't think that way anymore but a lot of people still think that way.

I never knew they were lucky anywhere. Glad to hear because I feel they are lucky!

I think I heard some mention they leave their tree up until February but now I forget why!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (01-03-2012), gabulldawg (01-01-2012), Seawaters (12-28-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Doing my best to beat it. Its always tough to just abruptly end the holidays. I find the holidays at the beginning of the year are just not the same. Time goes by so fast now. Thanksgiving was here, I blinked and it was Christmas day!! I have no idea how that happened

Its always difficult for me for a few days after Christmas. Even ON Christmas I find myself thinking "its over.." There is so much build up to Christmas or something. I can't quite figure out what it is. But I think this year I will enjoy the Christmas season more. Listen to more music, spend more time creating new traditions, watch MORE Christmas movies and specials. Really enjoy Christmas time at my own pace.

Also, I may not post here as often as I used to....but I lurk. I read the posts and see what everyone is up too.

Hope not too many of you are feeling the post Christmas blues. It always passes and I look forward to Christmas once again. Not to mention it never hurts to listen to a little Christmas music when we need it! XO
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Bullypup (01-04-2012), CJ498 (01-03-2012), made582 (01-01-2012), Seawaters (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 19,003 Times in 3,072 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
Tomorrow I am really anticipating those blues... I dont know if I will take the tree down tomorrow or wait until tuesday. I am dreading that,seems like yesterday I was putting it up..
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Every year we find ourselves re-visting post Christmas blues. I blogged my remedy last year. Here's the link for a refresher.

http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/forum/blog.php?bt=832

This year, I'm adding something that will give me merry pleasure off and on during the year as we await the lead up to Christmas. I'm going to work on my Christmas cards whenever I have a some extra time on my hands or if I'm starting to feel at all disconnected from Christmas. It took me three weekends to get my cards done this year so I'm starting in the summer time and then as the Christmas season approaches, I'll add an extra comment or two and that will keep me feeling jolly and take some of the pressure off as November became a very busy month for me. I take as much time choosing what photo to share in which card as I do picking out the right Christmas present so it's very time consuming.

I believe we get caught up in the whirlwind with all the anticipation and then in what seems like the blink of an eye, it's over. Yet, it's never really over for us is it? We visit here year 'round and connect, share, plan, etc. I didn't make it here as much as last year as I have in previous years and that was a bit of a let down for me, yet I know after all these years that the merry forums will always be here and the door will always be open. I still thought of the members here and something always caused me to think some Christmassy thought and that would lead to thoughts of y'all.

Sometimes I wonder what it must be like for people who haven't discovered a place like this, where they can come together and chat about Christmas throughout the year, listen to a variety of music and not feel out of place for doing it. I consider us fortunate to have made our way here.

Sure hope your blues don't last long.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
Bullypup (01-04-2012), Christmas-A-Holic (01-01-2012), CJ498 (01-03-2012), made582 (01-01-2012), Seawaters (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-09-2014), xmastidings (01-09-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,105 Times in 413 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
For the first time i haven't had any christmas blues,i took my decorations down on new years eve and i was fine about it,this christmas was a strange one for me i really struggled to get in the spirit of things and i think the weather really played a part in this,when you are used to having temperatures in the -10 zone during december and this year it was more 11c plus it just didn't feel right to me,i was so looking forward to the bitterly cold nights and sitting in front of the fire and watching christmas movies but it just didn't happen,i admit i struggled big time this christmas but now ive experience a christmas like this i know i can deal with it alot better next christmas and enjoy it how i normally would.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

EdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elf
Oh, having the blues today good style!
But to help I just forwarded by a week the date of when my Christmas season will begin.
I am an early starter anyway and usually begin mine the first weekend after Guy Fawkes Night, 5th November (I am in the UK).
This year I think it will officially start on Halloween...might have to bring it forward by another week if the old blues hang around.
Lucky old Santa, I bet the Christmas Spirit is just raging again at the North Pole as they get ready for the next one!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EdNog For This Useful Post:
Bullypup (01-04-2012), CJ498 (01-03-2012), JOHNOR (01-04-2012), Seawaters (01-04-2012), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)