Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Earliest, Worst, Best and Miscellaneous Christmas Memories…All a Part of Who We ARE!!

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,438
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Enlisting Your Kids in...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:27 PM
47,912 Views  0 Posts
"Little Merry Christmas"......
By MerryCarey
05-24-2012 01:16 PM
51,594 Views  0 Posts
Tree Decorating
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:18 PM
Last post by molepomandmistletoe
07-21-2013 10:44 AM
1 Posts
star Charlie Brown Heads to...
By Jeff Westover
10-10-2012 10:09 PM
27,676 Views  0 Posts
stocking Thanksgiving Activities...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:52 PM
62,981 Views  0 Posts

Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,341 Times in 12,630 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Earliest, Worst, Best and Miscellaneous Christmas Memories…All a Part of Who We ARE!!

Ya know, I was just thinking about Xmas’ post about the top three to five most memorable events of 2011. We come from so many different years and decades that I thought it would be interesting and cathartic to remember the memories of Christmases past. Who is willing to share the earliest Christmas memory, the worst, and the best of Christmas memories with us??? I will start!!!

In the 1950s, the Free Will Baptist Church down the street had a beautiful music player that sounded out over our whole mill town in North Carolina. When I heard “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear” and “I heard the Bells on Christmas Day,” I thought they were the most beautiful tunes I had heard. To this day, they are each one of my favorites! During that time and into the time I was a teenager, we used to get what we called “treat bags” at church during Christmas. Santa would also appear at church to give out gifts. My favorite gifts during that time were Christmas coloring books. I also remember my Brownie camera. The smells of Christmas I remember most are oranges and peppermint and the smell of caps from my brothers’ cap guns (Hoppalong Cassidy) plus the Red Ryder gloves!!!

The worst??? The year my husband left me with three kids to raise. I was totally alone in California. My family in NC were supportive, but I was so bereft and alone, almost as if there were a death.

The best??? The year my husband left me with three kids to raise. I FINALLY realized that I was a person of worth!!! I became so strong—emotionally, especially. The MAIN BEST year was the year my first child was born in December 1970. We came home from the hospital on Christmas Eve. My MIL and I had gone to a Wig Party and had bought wigs. (I knew I would not be up to washing my hair!!!) My face in photots reflect the pain I was feeling from the episiotomy, but my joy is also evident!!! That kiddo turned out to be so special, just like his siblings.

Another Best was when I went to the annual yule-log burning in Christmastown, USA—McAdenville, NC. It was just before I met my first husband. I went home from East Carolina University for Christmas. I went to a hometown grocery store, Abernathy’s. One of the boxboys there was on my radar and had been for a few years. He asked me to meet him for the log-burning. We dated afterwards until I met my first husband.

Miscellaneous—My family CELEBRATED Christmas EVERY year. I don’t think I could possible describe to you what it was like!!! For some reason, everyone came to our house at Christmas! We always had a great party that you could not honestly believe!!! Name a year and I could tell you a GREAT memory!!! Wait, that would have to be in my conscious memory—early 1950s to the present!!!
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-02-2012), caninemom3 (01-08-2012), Christmasstar (12-28-2011), CJ498 (12-28-2011), Head Elf (10-07-2012), jennifer91 (12-29-2011), lauriebear (12-28-2011), momnan30 (10-06-2012), Snow-in-Texas (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014), sugar142286 (01-08-2012)
Old 12-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,562 Times in 1,457 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
This is AWESOME SW!!!

Wow... I had some pretty bad Christmas memories from childhood... Let's see it was 1978, and I was told by my Mother that Santa didn't exist, I was 7, yeah that had to be the absolute worst Christmas. They pretty much were just another day, until Nana!!! Well, Nana didn't think it was just another day, I like to think my first Christmas was when I was 14, that first one with Nana, now by far it wasn't the best, I was a very angry young lady to say the least, but Nana was patient she knew what I needed a little tough, kind, love and by the time I was 17 Christmas had a whole new light, never a "signer" I was still allowed on the Church Chior, that was so awesome. When I think of those early Christmas times, I remember can snow (does anyone else remember that?) When I smell peppermint, or sugar cookies, I think Christmas and Nana... Funny my Nana, she wore this stuff called Jean Na Tee (SP - sorry) but at Christmas she pulled out a special perfume that Poppa bought here, it smelled of Lilies so Lilies remind me of Christmas, too funny... The best Christmas was that year I was 17, let me see what year was that 1988. Yes, that was the very best one, I really understood everything my Nana had done to get me all she did in my mind to save me. Yes, Christmas 1988 was the best one ever at that point. Christmas time 1994 was a very low point but also a very high point I learned that God is watching and helping. My Nana passed in March of that year and well at Christmas time a stranger helped me to this day I still do not know who it was, I think I do but I am not certain.

Now, as I have gotten older and expanded my family and friends I have wonderful memories and my house is filled with love during this time, every year I host a gathering and each year I have such special memories. The smell of lilies still brings a glad tear. But, I know family and love is all around me.
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-02-2012), caninemom3 (01-08-2012), ClaireLovesChristmas (10-06-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), momnan30 (10-06-2012), Seawaters (12-28-2011), Snow-in-Texas (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014), trackrebel (10-06-2012)
Old 12-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Last Achievements

Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
You cannot know how this touched my heart. I honestly thought everyone had Chirstmass like i had! Thanks for sharing!!!

Originally Posted by lauriebear View Post
This is AWESOME SW!!!

Wow... I had some pretty bad Christmas memories from childhood... Let's see it was 1978, and I was told by my Mother that Santa didn't exist, I was 7, yeah that had to be the absolute worst Christmas. They pretty much were just another day, until Nana!!! Well, Nana didn't think it was just another day, I like to think my first Christmas was when I was 14, that first one with Nana, now by far it wasn't the best, I was a very angry young lady to say the least, but Nana was patient she knew what I needed a little tough, kind, love and by the time I was 17 Christmas had a whole new light, never a "signer" I was still allowed on the Church Chior, that was so awesome. When I think of those early Christmas times, I remember can snow (does anyone else remember that?) When I smell peppermint, or sugar cookies, I think Christmas and Nana... Funny my Nana, she wore this stuff called Jean Na Tee (SP - sorry) but at Christmas she pulled out a special perfume that Poppa bought here, it smelled of Lilies so Lilies remind me of Christmas, too funny... The best Christmas was that year I was 17, let me see what year was that 1988. Yes, that was the very best one, I really understood everything my Nana had done to get me all she did in my mind to save me. Yes, Christmas 1988 was the best one ever at that point. Christmas time 1994 was a very low point but also a very high point I learned that God is watching and helping. My Nana passed in March of that year and well at Christmas time a stranger helped me to this day I still do not know who it was, I think I do but I am not certain.

OMG. This is So Special. Sheese!! Make me cry!!! But do you know, this might help someone else who really didn't know the same Christmas-----until YOU!!!

Now, as I have gotten older and expanded my family and friends I have wonderful memories and my house is filled with love during this time, every year I host a gathering and each year I have such special memories. The smell of lilies still brings a glad tear. But, I know family and love is all around me.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 PM

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,183 Times in 12,630 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Earliest: when I was about10, my parents had a bad year, could not afford much. We were told there would be only 1 gift each under the tree. That was all there was too, but we were still excited to get to open it. We always opened gifts after Christmas morning service. when we got home and went upstairs to change first (that was back when you had your Sunday best clothes!) we walked past the tree to see the one gift each had grown into the biggest pile of gifts we had ever seen! To this day they have never said how they did that.

Worst: the year my husband left me to raise 3 small children on my own. The Christmas spirit had also left it seemed, and it was only because of the kids I even made it through.

Best: that would be this year, making those decorations from dads old sweater still has the family talking about him!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-02-2012), ballcoach (12-31-2011), caninemom3 (01-08-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), lauriebear (12-28-2011), momnan30 (10-06-2012), Seawaters (12-29-2011), Snow-in-Texas (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014)
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Santa Clausologist

Thanked 1,023 Times in 139 Posts
nmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elf
All of my Christmas' have been pretty good. I would like to share a 2 stories from this year and one from when i was a child

2011- Christmas day- My uncle was drunk (he is an alcoholic and some how managed to sneak a small vodka bottle in his pocket that no one knew about. He would go outside and drink it) thought it would be a great idea while we were singing happy birthday to Jesus to ask my boyfriend if he liked Jesus.

My bf's mom gave me a glass nativity to display in my future classroom (big no-no in public school) but such a nice gesture since i'm pretty sure she may be atheist.

1991 (3 years old)- While singing with the children's choir at church, I decided to lift my dress over my head in front of the entire congregation. Everyone laughed, but my mom was mortified. The director's husband has it on tape and they still try to use it as black mail against me
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nmc42088 For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (12-28-2011), AuntieMistletoeDear (01-02-2012), caninemom3 (01-08-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), lauriebear (12-28-2011), Seawaters (12-29-2011), Snow-in-Texas (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014)
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,614 Times in 578 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
Earliest Memories: 1975 or 1976: I was around three years old & Santa came to my house while we were at my paternal grandparent's house on Christmas Eve. I came home to find a little table & chairs in the living room. You can see my shock on the home video.

Worst Memories: 2006-Being with DD in ER late Christmas Eve/early Christmas Day. She had a high fever & was 18 months old. DH & I went to our own parent's houses & the other stayed at home with DD. My mom spent Christmas night at our house & DD's fever finally broke sometime in the A.M. of the 26th.; 1981- My maternal grandfather died suddenly of a heart attack two days before Thanksgiving. We had Christmas at our house instead of my grandparent's house that year & my grandmother, mom, & uncle spent most of the night crying. I was eight years old & miserable. I still can't stand to see people cry.

Best Memories: 1992-I got engaged to DH on Christmas Day; 1993- DH & I were married on Dec. 18.

Misc. Memories: being the lead angel in the church plays when I was little; the smell of the church window candles being blown out after the plays; driving around town with my family to see the Christmas lights; the excitement of Christmas Eve; watching DD during the season as she's growing up
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-02-2012), caninemom3 (01-08-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), momnan30 (10-06-2012), Seawaters (12-29-2011), Snow-in-Texas (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014)
Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Last Achievements

You were wearing panties, weren't you??? Too funny!!!

Originally Posted by nmc42088 View Post
All of my Christmas' have been pretty good. I would like to share a 2 stories from this year and one from when i was a child

2011- Christmas day- My uncle was drunk (he is an alcoholic and some how managed to sneak a small vodka bottle in his pocket that no one knew about. He would go outside and drink it) thought it would be a great idea while we were singing happy birthday to Jesus to ask my boyfriend if he liked Jesus.

My bf's mom gave me a glass nativity to display in my future classroom (big no-no in public school) but such a nice gesture since i'm pretty sure she may be atheist.

1991 (3 years old)- While singing with the children's choir at church, I decided to lift my dress over my head in front of the entire congregation. Everyone laughed, but my mom was mortified. The director's husband has it on tape and they still try to use it as black mail against me
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Last Achievements

We did a play about the littlest angel, played by me. I was three years old, too, and I honestly thought I WAS that angel!!!

Originally Posted by whitney37354 View Post
...Misc. Memories: being the lead angel in the church plays when I was little; the smell of the church window candles being blown out after the plays; driving around town with my family to see the Christmas lights; the excitement of Christmas Eve; watching DD during the season as she's growing up
Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Last Achievements

I think all of us here would agree about the sweater. Priceless!!!

Originally Posted by Christmasstar View Post
Earliest: when I was about10, my parents had a bad year, could not afford much. We were told there would be only 1 gift each under the tree. That was all there was too, but we were still excited to get to open it. We always opened gifts after Christmas morning service. when we got home and went upstairs to change first (that was back when you had your Sunday best clothes!) we walked past the tree to see the one gift each had grown into the biggest pile of gifts we had ever seen! To this day they have never said how they did that.

Worst: the year my husband left me to raise 3 small children on my own. The Christmas spirit had also left it seemed, and it was only because of the kids I even made it through.

Best: that would be this year, making those decorations from dads old sweater still has the family talking about him!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Santa Clausologist

Thanked 1,023 Times in 139 Posts
nmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elfnmc42088 is a good elf
Originally Posted by Seawaters View Post
You were wearing panties, weren't you??? Too funny!!!
yes i was...it was a red dress i was wearing with white tights black patent leather shoes my mother is still mortified when she hears this story
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nmc42088 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-08-2012), lauriebear (12-30-2011), momnan30 (10-06-2012), Seawaters (12-29-2011), snowflake22 (03-24-2014), trackrebel (10-06-2012), whitney37354 (01-03-2012)