Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Earliest, Worst, Best and Miscellaneous Christmas Memories…All a Part of Who We ARE!!

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Why the Big Guy is a Big...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:10 PM
0 Posts
“Santa’s Surprise Party”...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:15 AM
62,992 Views  0 Posts
A Miraculous Movie
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:02 PM
53,887 Views  0 Posts
My Neighbor, My Friend
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:31 PM
49,385 Views  0 Posts
Jimmy Scarecrow's...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 07:57 PM
66,844 Views  0 Posts

Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,106 Times in 936 Posts
jennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the treejennifer91 you could wrap up and put under the tree
Earliest - Waking up on Christmas morning when I was three or four years old. I remember I wanted a Mr. Bucket so badly! Then I opened up a Little Mermaid doll and I thought it was a Barbie so I screamed, "Garbie!" out loud. Everyone still talks about how funny it was because I was so hyped up and got the name wrong, and the great thing is I remember it all!

Best - The last Christmas that I had with my grandma in 2005. It was amazing! We had great food, spent a lot of time together, were with the entire family, and I loved being in her company. Christmas hasn't been the same without her.

Worst - The year after my grandma passed. Christmas just wasn't right! The carols depressed me, the movies reminded me of her and made me sad, and it just felt like a huge piece was missing.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jennifer91 For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-02-2012), caninemom3 (01-08-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), lauriebear (12-30-2011), momnan30 (10-06-2012), Seawaters (12-30-2011), Snow-in-Texas (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014), trackrebel (10-06-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 AM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,408 Times in 809 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
The earliest - it was my first Christmas (yes, my memory goes back that far), I was on the hardwood floor, the smell of pine needles and cookies in the air, the mumbled voices of family and relatives engaged in conversations that meant nothing to me. I was hugging my red, black and green tartan ride-on pony (on wheels). That memory isn't a lengthy one, but I find it funny that I remember instead of seeing the faces of the people around me, I mostly recall what colour of skirt, dress or tights I could see and the crease in the dress pants of the men because everyone, but me, it seemed were sitting down and I wasn't big enough to see all of their faces from my position on the floor while I was hugging my horse.

The worst - the Christmas everyone knew I didn't believe in Santa anymore. It was so depressing that I decided to believe again so each Christmas morning could be full of hope and wonder again. I still Believe in Santa!

The Best - the first year we phoned Burl Ives and his wife Dorothy on Christmas Eve and sang a few carols to them and then Burl shared with my mother and I on different extensions, the story of The Toy at the Bottom of the Stocking - it was like listening to the voice of Santa himself. I still get goosebumps when I recall it. The following year, I received a coffee table book with art work by Michael Parkes with an inscription written in Dorothy's handwriting, but from the two of them. Now and then, I look at it and as much as it saddens me that Burl is gone, it pleases me to have such merry memories.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (01-08-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), jennifer91 (01-09-2012), momnan30 (10-06-2012), Seawaters (01-08-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014)
Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,181 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
My worst memory is Christmas 1976. I was 15, and we pretty much knew it was going to be my father's last Christmas with us. I have shared before that he got me a BB gun that year (not a Red Ryder), I still have that BB gun, because it is the last Christmas gift I would ever receive from my father, it has a lot of sentimental value to it. My father died from Multiple Mylemoa that following March, I still miss him very much.

My childhood Christmas otherwise were pretty much the same. I guess my best Christmas would be my first with my wife (CAH). We have built quite a few Christmas memories and traditions of our own over the last 8 years. Don't misunderstand me, my childhood Christmases were great, but nothing stands out that make any one of them more memorable then the others.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-04-2012), caninemom3 (01-08-2012), Christmas-A-Holic (01-02-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), jennifer91 (01-09-2012), momnan30 (10-06-2012), nmc42088 (01-02-2012), Seawaters (01-02-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014)
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 AM
North Pole's RN

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,957 Times in 13,215 Posts
sugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
present

Great thread, SW!

Earliest: All the Christmases when I was a child. My parents tried to make Christmas as perfect as possible for me and I am going to try to do that for my childern as well.

Worst: The year I was 14. This was the year that my grandmother passed away on Christmas Eve. My uncle found her dead in her home. This was my dad's mom. He also lost his dad 11 year's prior, which was when I was only 3, so I don't remember him much, but this was 2 days after Christmas. Christmas is still very hard for my dad and my uncles. They do try to still make the best they can for the kids.

Best: The year I met my now husband. That Christmas was so special because I of course had my first Christmas with him and all of his family. They all made me feel so welcome, like they had known me for years. I couldn't ask for a better set of in-laws (well, most of the time!) Haha.

Mis. : Every Christmas with all of my family. Having all of my family together and watching my kids grow is the best gift God could give. I especially love watching EA, my 2 1/2 love Christmas just as much as I do. She still talks about Santa right now and I just love that. Christmas is a big part of our lives and will be FOREVER.

The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.
- Burton Hillis
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sugar142286 For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-08-2012), caninemom3 (01-08-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), jennifer91 (01-09-2012), momnan30 (10-06-2012), nmc42088 (01-08-2012), Seawaters (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,447 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

Earliest: My earliest memory of Christmas was when I was still a fairly little baby. I can remember it being Christmas Eve and my two big brothers and my sister all read to me and sang carols to me to get me to go to sleep so Santa would come!! I could not have been more than 2 or 3 but I still remember it ! To this day when I hear Away In A Manger I tear up because I still hear the three of them singing to me.

Best: The best Christmas was the one when we got my mother from the extended care facility she was in and brought her to my house. It was so great having her here, sitting by her on the couch and watching her, even though she was at the end of her life, being excited about her gifts and seeing the amazement on her face xo

Worst: The worst Christmas I have ever had actually still had a kind of beauty to it. It was 1992. My first husband had died quite abruptly the month before on November 2 as a result of suicide. Through my sister and friends I made it to Christmas Day. The beauty part is that uknown to me, my first husband, David, had actually bought all my gifts and wrapped them before he passed. When I went to visit his mom Christmas morning, there were dozens of gifts all hand wrapped in special paper with special name tags from David. I will never forget that Christmas. Even though he had been gone for about a month and a half it was as though David was telling me "I am still here...and I want you to have a wonderful Christmas...." I can't remember in particular what I got because that Christmas the real meaning of Christmas transcended material goods......xo

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by caninemom3; 01-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (01-08-2012), ClaireLovesChristmas (10-06-2012), Festive Spirit (10-06-2012), Head Elf (10-07-2012), jayden28 (10-06-2012), jennifer91 (01-09-2012), momnan30 (10-06-2012), nmc42088 (01-08-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014), sugar142286 (01-08-2012), trackrebel (10-06-2012), xmas365 (01-08-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 7,975 Times in 1,269 Posts
Festive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
Earliest: My earliest memory of Christmas was when I was still a fairly little baby. I can remember it being Christmas Eve and my two big brothers and my sister all read to me and sang carols to me to get me to go to sleep so Santa would come!! I could not have been more than 2 or 3 but I still remember it ! To this day when I hear Away In A Manger I tear up because I still hear the three of them singing to me.

Best: The best Christmas was the one when we got my mother from the extended care facility she was in and brought her to my house. It was so great having her here, sitting by her on the couch and watching her, even though she was at the end of her life, being excited about her gifts and seeing the amazement on her face xo

Worst: The worst Christmas I have ever had actually still had a kind of beauty to it. It was 1992. My first husband had died quite abruptly the month before on November 2 as a result of suicide. Through my sister and friends I made it to Christmas Day. The beauty part is that uknown to me, my first husband, David, had actually bought all my gifts and wrapped them before he passed. When I went to visit his mom Christmas morning, there were dozens of gifts all hand wrapped in special paper with special name tags from David. I will never forget that Christmas. Even though he had been gone for about a month and a half it was as though David was telling me "I am still here...and I want you to have a wonderful Christmas...." I can't remember in particular what I got because that Christmas the real meaning of Christmas transcended material goods......xo
Goodness, your story about your worse christmas is so moving. What a magical and yet heartbreaking experience that must have been for you x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
Head Elf (10-07-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 7,975 Times in 1,269 Posts
Festive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the tree
This is a wonderful thread! The memories on here are all so heartwarming!

Hmmm so .......
My earliest christmas memory is of my mum and I unlocking our front door on Christmas Eve so that Santa could get in. We didn't have a chimney

My worse christmas was the first christmas I spent in England. I had just moved here a few months before and I was on my own and alone that christmas. I was always used to spending Christmas with my family and friends back home. Christmas was always a huge tradition in our home so to be alone in a different country thousands of miles away was heartbreaking. For the first time in my life I dreaded waking up on christmas morning. I felt so lonely and isolated and I missed my family beyond words. I don't even like thinking back to it but when I do, it makes me appreciate every christmas in a very deep and significant way.

My best memory is difficult because I have so many! But the first christmas as parents has got to one of the most meaningful. My son was only about 4months old and it was our first christmas as a family. The joy and gratitude I felt was immeasurable. My husband and I knew that christmas was only the start of a brand new chapter for us. We foresaw all the christmases yet to come filled with the laughter and sounds of our precious children who would renew our own childhood passion for Christmas. Years later, each Christmas has surpassed our expectations.

and my Miscellaneous christmas memory ....again so many pop up in my mind but I will go with the memory of cooking with my mother. Baking cakes, preparing our christmas ham and laying out luxurious sweet treats and snacks that we were only allowed at Christmas time......good times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
Head Elf (10-07-2012), snowflake22 (03-24-2014)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,074 Times in 3,693 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Louann....Your moments brought tears to my eyes!!!!

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-24-2014)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,899 Times in 650 Posts
ClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnog
My earliest memory is of decorating the tree with my mum and brother, i can still picture all the ornaments we had on the tree even though she got rid of them all years ago!!

My worst was the first one with out my nanna, she always baked us cookies and gingerbread men on xmas eve and that 1st one without her was heartbreaking

My best one has to be the first one I had as a mummy!! Christmas became so magical again! Nothing beats putting my girls to bed on xmas eve after we have put milk and cookies out for santa and a carrot for rudolph seeing their little faces so lit up with excitement! The best feeling in the world!! x
Old 10-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
EARLIEST;1981-Was 6 at the time and the school always gave small gifts to all the children,all the boys got cars but when i opened mine i had a doll,i wasnt too happy so i set fire to the dolls hair in the garden.

BEST;2007-jayden was 3 and he loved the polar express and that christmas i decorated the house from top to bottom for the first time and i havent looked back since.

WORST;Cant think of one because we have only been celebrating christmas properly for 5 years.